Furiosa (Mad Max prequel)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this prequel film mentioned by cheese and thought it deserved its own thread.

‘Mad Max’ Prequel ‘Furiosa’ Casts Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...l-anya-taylor-joy-chris-hemsworth-1234802781/

George Miller has tapped Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II to star in “Furiosa,” the prequel movie based on Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa character from 2015’s “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

Taylor-Joy will play title role, a younger version of Furiosa. Miller had said in a May interview with The New York Times that he’d been searching for searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role. He said at the time he had considered using de-aging technology in order to allow Theron — who’s 44 –to play the part again, but has decided against doing so. Taylor-Joy is 24.

Miller will direct, co-write and produce “Furiosa,” along with his longtime producing partner Doug Mitchell. The film will be produced by Miller’s own Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner, together with “Fury Road” partner Warner Bros. Pictures.

Hemsworth has starred in the “Avengers” and “Thor” films as well as the recent “Extraction.” His other film credits include “Bad Times at the El Royale,” “12 Strong,” “In the Heart of the Sea,” “Rush,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” and “Star Trek.” He is repped by CAA and attorney Matt Galsor at Greenberg Glusker.

Abdul-Mateen II played Black Manta in James Wan’s “Aquaman.” He is currently filming the fourth installment in “The Matrix” series and can be seen as Bobby Seale in “The Trial of the Chicago 7.” He will star in “Candyman,” releasing 2021. Abdul-Mateen recently won an Emmy Award for his performance in the limited series “Watchmen.” He is repped by WME, M88, Ziffren Brittenham LLP, Rogers&CowanPMK

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All in to watch George Miller get to play with his outrageous set of toys in this sandbox again.

was bummed it wasn’t Charlize in the role, but watching Anya Taylor-Joy’s performance in Queen’s Gambit restored my faith to 100% in this sucker.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will there be any Max in this or will it focus on the Furiosa character only?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only Furiosa, as it's a prequel set well in the past.

Actually...
REDACTED

NM. Saw some places listing Hardy in the cast as Max and posted a pic before blowing it up to verify the actors. Doh.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So a pic from the previous movie, and the prequel still only has her?
I think the question is how can it be set well in the past, with Furiosa and Max contemporaries...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic for this. Fury Road set such a high bar, not sure if Furiosa can clear it.
Miller set the bar incredibly high for himself, without a doubt. But Fury Road is one of the greatest action movies of all time. I can’t expect that level of greatness again. It’s not fair to the movie. I just want it to be good. Maybe really good. That’s my bar. To expect greatness is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'll watch it but I'm not super excited for it. Like Cheese said it looked a bit more CGI than I would have expected. The practical effects were the best thing about Fury Road. Hopefully they didn't have to go too CGI heavy.

I'm the naysayer though that didn't really care for Fury Road. Some of the action was good in it but the movie as a whole didn't keep my attention. I got bored about halfway through. It was feeling too repetitive me.

The opening scene makes for an awesome home theater demo though. The bass and Atmos in it are amazing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll watch it but I'm not super excited for it. Like Cheese said it looked a bit more CGI than I would have expected. The practical effects were the best thing about Fury Road. Hopefully they didn't have to go too CGI heavy.

I'm the naysayer though that didn't really care for Fury Road. Some of the action was good in it but the movie as a whole didn't keep my attention. I got bored about halfway through. It was feeling too repetitive me.

You’re insane.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
You’re insane.
Pretty much.

The second half just felt repetitive to me. Oh, look. The bad guys caught up to them again. How will they ever get away again. Rinse and repeat. Action only holds my attention for so long. I know this is a me issue and I get why most people love it. If I was writing a review I probably would have given it 4 out of 5 stars and written to the latter.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re insane.

I guess I am too. Just got bored with it even though I wanted to like it.

Edit: It has been a while, so I'll look for a used blu-ray and see if my opinion has changed. I'll bet the soundtrack is pretty impressive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Will definitely go see it with my buddy. I will be majorly POed if it isn't a downer ending, because what better movie to undermine Hollywood expectations because of the crap situation Furiosa ended up in?