Kingsbury, The World’s Only 17 Point Offensive Genius

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m just happy keyboard genius Harry has nothing to do with the Cardinals... there’s probably a reason you’re no longer an “NFL scout” and currently a “Senior Writer” on a freaking fan forum

#1 pick after a 3 win season....

fast forward 2 years and we are a playoff team. Who cares what Harry says. I haven’t seen a decent take the whole time I’ve been here.

“Budda sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kyler sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kliff can’t call plays”.... reality: #1 offense
“Kliff is a fraud” .... reality: turned us into a playoff team in 1.5 years

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m just happy keyboard genius Harry has nothing to do with the Cardinals... there’s probably a reason you’re no longer an “NFL scout” and currently a “Senior Writer” on a freaking fan forum

#1 pick after a 3 win season....

fast forward 2 years and we are a playoff team. Who cares what Harry says. I haven’t seen a decent take the whole time I’ve been here.

“Budda sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kyler sucks”..... reality: he’s a stud
“Kliff can’t call plays”.... reality: #1 offense
“Kliff is a fraud” .... reality: turned us into a playoff team in 1.5 years
Congrats, on a day full of emotional posts this is the worst one I’ve read. Personal attack, hyperbole, lack of sophisticated take regarding the game, and zero substance or insight.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff should not apologize for anything as long as he is winning. When the team is in a rut like this and offense looks vanilla boring game in and game out, heat should be on.

It appears the only thing young Bidwill hates more than losing is being boring while losing.

I think Kliff gets next year and that's it IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Agreed. Players lost this game. Can't get a yard? Can't make a kick? You lose.

Even my wife who doesn't follow football was like "Why does KK continue to run shotgun formations from inside the 1/2 yard line??". Please bring back the successful QB Streveler under center short yardage package of Weeks 1-3!

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Congrats, on a day full of emotional posts this is the worst one I’ve read. Personal attack, hyperbole, lack of sophisticated take regarding the game, and zero substance or insight.
Just calling it how I see it! I haven’t seen Harry get much right here. This is just another one of his weekly complaining rambles that is disconnected from reality.

reality says we’re a playoff team that has massively improved in 2 years. Care to debate that?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all just saw the Niners score 23 and beat the Rams top 3 defense with Mullen at QB, only Deebo from the starting receivers and no Kittle. And some want to argue Kliff isn't a bad coach when we only put 17 on a garbage Pats team?

Kliff hamstrings this offense. Where's the pre snap motion? Only the very rare occasion used Isabella ripped off a 17 yard sweep. The Chiefs and Niners are two of the best designed offenses in the league and use a bunch of motion. It's proven to increase EPA. So why so little?

Here's a prime example of Kliff's problem. How many times did we line up with an empty backfield yesterday and Edmonds in the slot? A whole bunch, even on early downs. Let me ask you this....why?

What advantage does that give the offense? Its telling the defense right away that its a pass play. Its telling them Kyler is very unlikely to run. It's telling the D line they don't have to worry about contain and can pin their ears back. Worse is they don't even motion Edmonds out late so he's got a LB in coverage, he's there from the get go.

Why don't our RBs have designed routes from the backfield? How many yards did Johnson have running routes that way? All our RB passes are just leaks for check downs.

You know how we often have trips one side and Nuk one on one on the left? Why not let Nuk carry the DB upfield and have Drake or Edmonds run a wheel behind him into the space?

Its just unimaginative garbage. Line up 4-5 WR. Shotgun snap. Rely on the receiver to separate with no help from motion, formation, or play design.

one of the things I noticed and maybe this is just belichick being so good at what he does but outside of the jetsweep to Andy when we tried to be "clever" they were there. And even that jetsweep was just a good block, they had guys there but we got a good block and Andy cut up when he had to.

IN particular there was a play where Maxx lined up at FB, Kyler started like he was going left and then did a spin back rolled out right. It was clear what that play was, get them going left then reverse, Maxx released to the right supposed to either be wide open or if covered, the lead blocker for Kyler. the problem is they had a guy covering Maxx and another sitting right there. They either from formation or something had a tell because they knew that play was coming, the announcer said it immediately really well defended by NE took away the entire play.

Too often those plays don't work and what's worse, many of Kliff's plays seem to lack more options, on that play because of the design if it's not there, there's not much to do, Kyler either runs it or holds the ball. I don't remember the outcome I think he just threw the ball away.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just calling it how I see it! I haven’t seen Harry get much right here. This is just another one of his weekly complaining rambles that is disconnected from reality.

reality says we’re a playoff team that has massively improved in 2 years. Care to debate that?

Harry has forgotten more football than you'll ever know, kid. If you're looking to pump sunshine after what we've seen the last month, (and insult long time board members), you're barking up the wrong tree.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@TaylorSwift

The error they are speaking about is his decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Do you disagree with that decision?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TaylorSwift

The error they are speaking about is his decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Do you disagree with that decision?

i don’t think he made the error to kick the field goal. I do think he made the error to call off the dogs and going totally conservative there, settling for a 45 yard FG, while also not doing what was needed to get closer and chew the remaining clock.

especially after this same scenario had happened twice before in the last five games where we laid up and missed game winning or tying FGs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TaylorSwift

We had that exact discussion in the game thread if you're going to run the clock down to kick the FG do it. He didn't. They got the ball with 1:47 left. I think he figured they have to use Timeouts so they'll have less time but with the 2 minute warning etc it didn't work out

This is where the clever playmaker is supposed to have a fake the handoff hit the TE wide open or something play but the one time we tried that, Maxx in at FB, they were sitting there waiting for it

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@TaylorSwift

The decision wasn't bad, it was just the sequence of putrid play calls that got the Cardinals there

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The decision wasn't bad, it was just the sequence of putrid play calls that got the Cardinals there

Ok but your post is about his decision to kick the FG or go for it...not about his play calls leading up to it.

KK didn't drop the pass in the end zone...he also didn't miss blocking assignments at the goal line...nor did he miss the FG.

We were in positions to win the game and didn't execute.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

We have 5 games left, two teams hot on our backside and we are sliding. We are not a “playoff team” until we have actually qualified for the playoffs. Unless you want to go trump and claim no games played hereafter count.

we have improved in two years. A lot of that was due to upgrades in talent. Some to coaching. But the trajectory on coaching has not only seemed to level off, but is backsliding.

care to debate either of those points?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@TaylorSwift

That's just the major one. There were 1000 paper cuts left us bleeding all over the field.

Kliff's worst decision has actually gone unmentioned. Down 10-17 and he went for it on 4th and 5 around their 20. There was absolutely nothing on, Kyler threw it away and we had our butt's pulled out of the fire with a holding call.

We got lucky as we got 7 eventually, but in the moment it was highly stupid. We just had 3 plays go for 5 yards, we had no rhythm at all and the odds of success were low.

We need a TD and a FG to win anyway against the Pats offense is very stoppable. The odds were massively in favour of kicking the FG there and getting the ball back on defense (which we did anyway with the INT)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
one of the things I noticed and maybe this is just belichick being so good at what he does but outside of the jetsweep to Andy when we tried to be "clever" they were there. And even that jetsweep was just a good block, they had guys there but we got a good block and Andy cut up when he had to.

IN particular there was a play where Maxx lined up at FB, Kyler started like he was going left and then did a spin back rolled out right. It was clear what that play was, get them going left then reverse, Maxx released to the right supposed to either be wide open or if covered, the lead blocker for Kyler. the problem is they had a guy covering Maxx and another sitting right there. They either from formation or something had a tell because they knew that play was coming, the announcer said it immediately really well defended by NE took away the entire play.

Too often those plays don't work and what's worse, many of Kliff's plays seem to lack more options, on that play because of the design if it's not there, there's not much to do, Kyler either runs it or holds the ball. I don't remember the outcome I think he just threw the ball away.
Belichicks teams are almost always assignment sound defensively. They don’t have freelancers. As a result you rarely find gaps and they rarely “fall” for trick plays.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok but your post is about his decision to kick the FG or go for it...not about his play calls leading up to it.

KK didn't drop the pass in the end zone...he also didn't miss blocking assignments at the goal line...nor did he miss the FG.

We were in positions to win the game and didn't execute.

Agreed.

However, good coaching, even average coaching goes very far in minimizing the mistakes their players make.

It's hard getting a group of 53 men to execute consistently for 60 minutes, I can accept that.

But kliffs poor coaching leaves such small margin for error where these mistakes matter even more than they should

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's just the major one. There were 1000 paper cuts left us bleeding all over the field.

Kliff's worst decision has actually gone unmentioned. Down 10-17 and he went for it on 4th and 5 around their 20. There was absolutely nothing on, Kyler threw it away and we had our butt's pulled out of the fire with a holding call.

We got lucky as we got 7 eventually, but in the moment it was highly stupid. We just had 3 plays go for 5 yards, we had no rhythm at all and the odds of success were low.

We need a TD and a FG to win anyway against the Pats offense is very stoppable. The odds were massively in favour of kicking the FG there and getting the ball back on defense (which we did anyway with the INT)
Agreed. That call gets overlooked bc we were bailed out by the interefeeence call but cheese and I were both yelling “what the hell is he doing going for it in 4th and 5 at the 20?!?”

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was actually ok with that one because we've been so good in the red zone and so good on 4th down I think Kliff figured if I give Kyler 3 shots to throw the ball here we're going to make a play so this is shot 3. He actually made a great throw it could have been caught but Arnold was clearly held. At the 12 yard line like that if NE gets the ball the odds of them going on a long drive at that point seemed slim.

I was even ok with going at the end of the half we just didn't execute and again I think Drake DID score, it just wasn't clear so them not calling it live killed us.

With Zane, and with Kyler even an injured Kyler, I'm actually ok on the 4th down plays. Per ESPN Kyler is 3-4 on 4th down this year throwing and averaging 14 yard per run in 3 carries. The problem yesterday is it wasn't 100% Kyler Murray so the run part was not there

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. That call gets overlooked bc we were bailed out by the interefeeence call but cheese and I were both yelling “what the hell is he doing going for it in 4th and 5 at the 20?!?”

If you mean the hold against Arnold that play was from the 12.

I was at first wait are we going and then I sort of figured the way the game is going we might only get one more possession and I don't trust Zane, even from the 12 so I was ok with it.

We've been pretty good on 4th down I think the threat of the run not being there changed it some with Kyler but still I can live with that call.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was actually ok with that one because we've been so good in the red zone and so good on 4th down I think Kliff figured if I give Kyler 3 shots to throw the ball here we're going to make a play so this is shot 3. He actually made a great throw it could have been caught but Arnold was clearly held. At the 12 yard line like that if NE gets the ball the odds of them going on a long drive at that point seemed slim.

I was even ok with going at the end of the half we just didn't execute and again I think Drake DID score, it just wasn't clear so them not calling it live killed us.

With Zane, and with Kyler even an injured Kyler, I'm actually ok on the 4th down plays. Per ESPN Kyler is 3-4 on 4th down this year throwing and averaging 14 yard per run in 3 carries. The problem yesterday is it wasn't 100% Kyler Murray so the run part was not there

Not sure your thinking about the same one? This one was mid 4th Q I think.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure your thinking about the same one? This one was mid 4th Q I think.

I don't find it on the play by play. The one I see is 4th and 4 from the 12 we threw to Arnold, he dropped it but they called holding on McCourty which was a clear call he grabbed Arnold before the ball was thrown which is why it was holding not PI,

If it's another play I'm missing it on the play by play

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't find it on the play by play. The one I see is 4th and 4 from the 12 we threw to Arnold, he dropped it but they called holding on McCourty which was a clear call he grabbed Arnold before the ball was thrown which is why it was holding not PI,

If it's another play I'm missing it on the play by play

Yeah that's the one, it was a low odds play on 4th on 5 considering how poorly we were playing at the time. It made no sense against a poor Pats offense who had gained most of their points based on ST's play.

You kick the FG there. Get the ball back and score a TD.

For some reason Kliff just can't have the last drive come down to a FG. Given the choice between FG then TD or TD then FG he goes for the latter every time. Even if he has to make dumb 4th and 5 calls to do it.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Y'all just saw the Niners score 23 and beat the Rams top 3 defense with Mullen at QB, only Deebo from the starting receivers and no Kittle. And some want to argue Kliff isn't a bad coach when we only put 17 on a garbage Pats team?

Kliff hamstrings this offense. Where's the pre snap motion? Only the very rare occasion used Isabella ripped off a 17 yard sweep. The Chiefs and Niners are two of the best designed offenses in the league and use a bunch of motion. It's proven to increase EPA. So why so little?

Here's a prime example of Kliff's problem. How many times did we line up with an empty backfield yesterday and Edmonds in the slot? A whole bunch, even on early downs. Let me ask you this....why?

What advantage does that give the offense? Its telling the defense right away that its a pass play. Its telling them Kyler is very unlikely to run. It's telling the D line they don't have to worry about contain and can pin their ears back. Worse is they don't even motion Edmonds out late so he's got a LB in coverage, he's there from the get go.

Why don't our RBs have designed routes from the backfield? How many yards did Johnson have running routes that way? All our RB passes are just leaks for check downs.

You know how we often have trips one side and Nuk one on one on the left? Why not let Nuk carry the DB upfield and have Drake or Edmonds run a wheel behind him into the space?

Its just unimaginative garbage. Line up 4-5 WR. Shotgun snap. Rely on the receiver to separate with no help from motion, formation, or play design.

This is it , plus more. The offensive design is bad and it comes down to Kyler being superman for us to win.

I'll add another one - the lack of under-center snaps is a huge detriment to the offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson