2020 Draft

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My son knows him personally. He is a typical entitled spoiled rich kid, who cares more about fame, riches and partying than basketball. Think the basketball version of Todd Marinovich.
I would say more like the basketball version of Johnny Manziel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2020 draft was deep particularly in regard to big men and point guards. It will be interesting to follow.

For example, the Suns traded the 40th pick. Tre Jones was selected at 41. I think that would have been a solid pick if they had been able to keep it.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In bygone eras I think Daniel Oturu would have been a first round pick, perhaps even in the top 15 picks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In bygone eras I think Daniel Oturu would have been a first round pick, perhaps even in the top 15 picks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hmm. Nice player. Blocks, rebounds, scores, shoots the three at 37%. Might be a sleeper in this draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hmm. Nice player. Blocks, rebounds, scores, shoots the three at 37%. Might be a sleeper in this draft.

I would have liked for the Suns to have found a way to acquire him to reunite with Smith. I think they complimented each other quite well...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have liked for the Suns to have found a way to acquire him to reunite with Smith. I think they complimented each other quite well...

Oturu had a lot of strengths to fall into the second round. He could be quite a nice player. I expect a number of second round picks to stick from the 2020 draft.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/daniel-oturu

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was frankly surprised he dropped to the second round.

The second round is where Okuru was projected to go but it's still hard to believe the NBA has drifted that far away from the big man era especially since he has skills. He could surprise. I think he will have an NBA career.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oturu is like a slow downed version of Jalen. He will foul way too much in the NBA and will not be able to get his shot off or score one-on-one off high actions.

Worthless pick.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The second round is where Okuru was projected to go but it's still hard to believe the NBA has drifted that far away from the big man era especially since he has skills. He could surprise. I think he will have an NBA career.

Imagine dropping prime Shaq in the NBA right now? Every team had to have an Ostertag or Big Jake to throw at him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Imagine dropping prime Shaq in the NBA right now? Every team had to have an Ostertag or Big Jake to throw at him.

Shaq would be still be largely impactful on offense. He would benefit from improved shooting/spacing. He would be gameplanned against better and his free throw shooting weakness would be exacerbated in the era of information analysis (i.e. analytics).

His defensive ability would be tested in space a lot more, but he was a great athlete so I don’t think he would be punished AS much. I do think his foul rate would shoot up having to deal with elite guards/wings in isolation 30 feet from the basket, which is probably where he would suffer the greatest loss (MPG).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shaq would have a field day because no one could guard him.

I think the Jazz are going to give the league a dose of it with Rudy Gobert and Udoka Azubuike.

Teams with at least one athletic big man can do a lot of damage. I'm glad the Suns have Ayton.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shaq would have a field day because no one could guard him.

I think the Jazz are going to give the league a dose of it with Rudy Gobert and Udoka Azubuike.

Teams with at least one athletic big man can do a lot of damage. I'm glad the Suns have Ayton.

No one could ever guard him. Embiid is certainly bigger and stronger than anyone Shaq played against that wasn’t a zero on offense (and thus unplayable). Jokic is pretty strong.

Are you suggesting the Jazz are going to play RG and UA at the same time? Good luck guarding the ball. UA couldn’t guard the perimeter in any event at the college level.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I meant even during the predraft process. Good big men still have an impact on the game. I understand the concept of 3pt efficiency but a big that can get you the ball and get high percentage shots should still be at a premium.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one could ever guard him. Embiid is certainly bigger and stronger than anyone Shaq played against that wasn’t a zero on offense (and thus unplayable). Jokic is pretty strong.

Are you suggesting the Jazz are going to play RG and UA at the same time? Good luck guarding the ball. UA couldn’t guard the perimeter in any event at the college level.

I don't see the Jazz playing both of these centers at the same. What I am suggesting, when Gobert goes to the bench, the Jazz have the option of bringing in another rim protector. Getting to the basket may be harder than ever.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant even during the predraft process. Good big men still have an impact on the game. I understand the concept of 3pt efficiency but a big that can get you the ball and get high percentage shots should still be at a premium.

I was caught up in the draft process. Yes, I think Oturu should have gone in the first round because he brings a lot to the table and he can hit the 3-point shot. People underestimated what Jokic could do.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see the Jazz playing both of these centers at the same. What I am suggesting, when Gobert goes to the bench, the Jazz have the option of bringing in another rim protector. Getting to the basket may be harder than ever.

UA will get in foul trouble before he gets off the bus.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was caught up in the draft process. Yes, I think Oturu should have gone in the first round because he brings a lot to the table and he can hit the 3-point shot. People underestimated what Jokic could do.

Jokic was an elite passer in Europe. Oturu isn’t really that skilled.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jokic was an elite passer in Europe. Oturu isn’t really that skilled.

Passing is what makes Jokic so special.

I'm not comparing the two players in this regard. However, there is a reason Jokic fell to the second round. He was not very athletic.

Oturu has skills as well and he is not less athletic. He might even be more athletic. There is a chance for him to become an NBA player in his own right.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
It feels like the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

This guy can defend, rebound, block and be a physical presence in the post on D. He also has a soft touch from 3, can put the ball down and drive to the basket, and is athletic enough to finish around the rim.

He is the literal definition of low risk/high reward as a 2nd rounder. I think a lot of teams will regret passing on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose