Free Agency 2020

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think if we play like the bubble, with the addition of Paul, we should be able to get to the playoffs for sure. Getting past loaded teams like the Lakers is another prospect. We kept needing that consistent 3rd player last year. Oubre and Bridges would have some hot games, but we needed that consistent third guy night in and night out. I think that's going to be the big difference.
There was likely no move possible this year that would get us past the Lakers and that really shouldn't have been the expectation either.

With the salary situation on this team we needed to focus on netting some solid rotational guys in free agency to try and push for somewhere in the 4-6 range of the playoffs.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Didn’t see this one coming. Boston could of had Myles Turner in a sign and trade but got greedy and wanted Warren as well.

Wow! This is going to shake things up

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... we’re going to do nothing here, huh?

if that’s the case, the CP3 trade was literally just to make sure we ended up the 7 seed, sadly in a season where we could have made a real leap forward to dark horse contender with the right moves in FA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't, I think much of our core is still a few years away from being at their peak when a move like this could well vault us into the championship discussion. Now, IMO, the motivation for this move was likely to be a little bit about keeping Booker content but mainly an effort to speed up the development and maturity of Ayton, Bridges, Johnson, our draft pick and even Devin. Or maybe I have those two reasons switched but the point's the same.

I never expected a bottom of the financial barrel owner to bring in any high priced free agents (or even medium priced) in a season destined to be historically loss heavy. I'm all for hoping but I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. And can someone give me the list of great FA's that flocked to a team primarily because Paul was there? I'm sure there's some but I've never heard of him having this kind of drawing power.
We couldn't afford top priced free agents or medium priced free agents. We can only afford essentially 3rd tier free agents that will take the MLE and like 4th tier or so that would take the BAE.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

if that’s the case, the CP3 trade was literally just to make sure we ended up the 7 seed, sadly in a season where we could have made a real leap forward to dark horse contender with the right moves in FA.
What has been done that we should of done?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When it's time, the CBA should be shredded.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In the back of my mind I thought we might be the team being suckered into holding the Chris Paul bag. Why take on $85 million over the next two years and not make a better effort? Losing that 2022 pick is going to look silly.

Maybe we can trade Paul next off-season for John Wall.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There goes Avery Bradley.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the back of my mind I thought we might be the team being suckered into holding the Chris Paul bag. Why take on $85 million over the next two years and not make a better effort? Losing that 2022 pick is going to look silly.

Maybe we can trade Paul next off-season for John Wall.

exactly. If you make that move, go all in. Otherwise it’s likely the move is primarily window dressing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lmao at a two year deal that will likely be moveable next season sets us back 5-10 years

You're missing the point. If the team continues to flounder, which it certainly will with its present roster, then in two years' time, Paul leaves, Booker asks out, Ayton leaves, and we're stuck with another 5-10 rebuild with our reputation around the league being worse than ever.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Once again, what effort were you looking for? The only signings that have happened so far that would of been good for the Suns and the Suns could of matched involved players going to a top 4 team in the league in pursuit of a ring. I have yet to see a single signing that made me think that the Suns could of and should of matched, and that the player would of most likely chosen us over the team they picked.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It could. I was against this deal before the pick when it was just Oubre, Rubio and Jerome and the pick just adds to the risk. But it's a minimal risk compared to the risk of adding Paul in the first place. And the reward for adding Paul is still potentially far greater than anything we've given up in this deal. I didn't (and don't) like if from a not-so-informed risk management perspective but I think the up-side of the deal is still roughly the same even with the loss of that pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What has been done that we should of done?

If the Suns were intent on moving Oubre they could have traded him for a first round pick, cleared salary, signed a power forward and kept Rubio.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It could. I was against this deal before the pick when it was just Oubre, Rubio and Jerome and the pick just adds to the risk. But it's a minimal risk compared to the risk of adding Paul in the first place. And the reward for adding Paul is still potentially far greater than anything we've given up in this deal. I didn't like if from a not-so-informed risk management perspective but I think the up-side of the deal is still roughly the same even with the loss of that pick.

There couldn't have been any other serious interest in Paul. OKC did not want the contract. Jones should've held firm.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There couldn't have been any other serious interest in Paul. OKC did not want the contract. Jones should've held firm.

I think and heard the Bucks were involved in those CP3 talks as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
portis or Augustine would have been pretty easy/relatively cost effective fits.
Augustine yes, but Portis seems like the type of guy they might want to avoid. They won't bring in players that they believe won't fit in well from a chemistry standpoint.

JerkFace

Reaction score
If the Suns were intent on moving Oubre they could have traded him for a first round pick, cleared salary, signed a power forward and kept Rubio.
Well that is a whole different conversation. My point is, now that we have made the trade for Paul, what moves have been made around the league that we should be criticized for not making (and the player would of chosen us over the team they chose).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
why? There’s nothing holding us back from competing at a higher level than our Owner choosing not to do so.

All NBA markets are not created the same such as the Lakers, Nets and Warriors.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Right now, we're looking at 10th or 11th, not 7th.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn