Suns:
Chris Paul
Abdul Nader

Thunder:
Kelly Oubre
Ricky Rubio
Ty Jerome
Jalen Lecque
2022 first round pick (top 12 protected)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am feeling extremely neutral. So much so I can't decide on my answer.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I wish we didn't have to include a first but overall I like the trade. I'm honestly just tired of the draft being the most exciting thing that we look forward to each year. We last made the playoffs in 2010. How many stars have we drafted with all these lottery picks since the 2011 draft? One, maybe two if Ayton lives up to his potential?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think Paul is the answer. Often-injured old guy making a ton of money doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If it were a simple swap for Rubio and Oubre, I'd call it a wash, but I don't like the idea of giving up the pick. I realize it may not be a super-valuable pick but in my opinion, Paul's contract is a negative, so OKC should have had to sweeten the deal.

I get that the idea is for him to push the youngsters and get Booker and Ayton to their next levels, but I am not buying it. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see how this trade i a positive.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think Paul is the answer. Often-injured old guy making a ton of money doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If it were a simple swap for Rubio and Oubre, I'd call it a wash, but I don't like the idea of giving up the pick. I realize it may not be a super-valuable pick but in my opinion, Paul's contract is a negative, so OKC should have had to sweeten the deal.

I get that the idea is for him to push the youngsters and get Booker and Ayton to their next levels, but I am not buying it. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see how this trade i a positive.
I don't see anything in this post to strongly support your position outside of the contract is big.

IF Paul plays his normal 60 games this coming year, that is only 12 missed games. Booker does that every season himself.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked it in theory when it was just Oubre, Rubio and Jerome, and it was timed to occur after the Suns signed a starting power forward in free agency.

With the first round pick in the double draft thrown in and all of our cap space gone with no power forward coming in, I can't support this trade.

Right now, BEST case scenario is:

Paul
Booker
Bridges
Cam
Ayton

Carter
Payne
Vassell
MLE PF
Saric

Sorry, but that team struggles to make the playoffs and has even less of a bench than we had last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The only thing I don’t like about it is the 1st round pick.

that being said if we are a playoff team over the next two seasons that pick won’t likely be too important.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Don't like it one bit. We gave up too much for too little. Paul is solid, don't get me wrong, but we should've tried running it back, not blowing it up. Paul's contract is bloated as hell and we won't be able to make any moves.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like the 2022 pick may be less valuable than thought.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the merit of the trade I have to say no because I think better trades were available with the assets given.

I can think of a reasons pro and con for the trade but the primary reason I make the trade is Devin Booker. If he said that is what it takes to keep him happy, then the Suns had to do it. I don't know the answer.

Hopefully it establishes the Suns as a destination for free agents.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On the merit of the trade I have to say no because I think better trades were available with the assets given.

I can think of a reasons pro and con for the trade but the primary reason I make the trade is Devin Booker. If he said that is what it takes to keep him happy, then the Suns had to do it. I don't know the answer.

Hopefully it establishes the Suns as a destination for free agents.

Unfortunately, at this point it doesn't matter whether or not the Suns are a destination for free agents because the Suns, in timing the trade poorly, are out of cap space, which means they don't have any money to sign the free agent they need (a starting power forward).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athletic Grades:

Suns A-
Thunder A

Win win for both teams

I would think the Thunder would get tired of winning. They made the playoffs last season and keep adding assets.

We need their GM.

This is mostly a win or a lose for the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, at this point it doesn't matter whether or not the Suns are a destination for free agents because the Suns, in timing the trade poorly, are out of cap space, which means they don't have any money to sign the free agent they need (a starting power forward).

It's all about stars and building a reputation as a destination for free agents.

When Paul's contract expires hopefully Booker will still be here and Ayton is a star.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's all about stars and building a reputation as a destination for free agents.

When Paul's contract expires hopefully Booker will still be here and Ayton is a star.

But haven't we been hoping that is the case whether or not Paul comes here? If Paul makes Ayton a star, sure it will be worth it. Booker is already a star, and people haven't been flocking to play with him. It won't be like anyone of significance is coming to play with Paul, because as long as we are saddled with Paul's contract, we won't have cap space to sign anyone else. If all we needed was veteran help off the bench, then that might work, as Paul could attract MLE and Veteran Minimum guys to be bench pieces. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't fill the gaping hole in our starting line-up, and as long as we have that gaping hole, we're not going anywhere.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, not crazy about surrendering a pick, although the greater probability (not 100%, of course) is that it will be less meaningful than some are anticipating.

I don't think Paul's contract for just two years is that much of an albatross. Let's get real - it's not like we were going to be in on the Giannis sweepstakes or anything. People need to stop deluding themselves.

And Oubre was gone after next season, one way or another. The chances of getting any kind of return of value on him was shrinking by the day. The Suns are selling about as high as they can on him.

So overall, I think it's a marginally good trade for the Suns. It's by no means guaranteed to be an unqualified success (this is the Sarver Suns, after all), but they needed to do something to move the needle next year. Coming back with the same team probably wasn't going to do it.

PS - Note to James Jones. Don't waste your draft pick on someone just because you "like" their back story. Uggh.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take, looking back from 7 years in the future. 40% chance we'll dislike this deal, 35% it will be mixed results (not all bad, not all good) and 25% chance we'll love the deal. And don't ask me any questions about the numbers, I have to return the time machine by 1:30PM today.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
emphatic thumbs down

theoretically, the plus side is making a run by switching Paul for Rubio on the bubble team that went 8 and 0

the downside is Paul's age, health risks, and contract. I'd take on his contract for Rubio straight up. AND to lose Oubre's heart and energy on offense and defense next season, AND a draft pick?

maybe one good year then it turns into a Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Tom Gugliotta move

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But haven't we been hoping that is the case whether or not Paul comes here? If Paul makes Ayton a star, sure it will be worth it. Booker is already a star, and people haven't been flocking to play with him. It won't be like anyone of significance is coming to play with Paul, because as long as we are saddled with Paul's contract, we won't have cap space to sign anyone else. If all we needed was veteran help off the bench, then that might work, as Paul could attract MLE and Veteran Minimum guys to be bench pieces. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't fill the gaping hole in our starting line-up, and as long as we have that gaping hole, we're not going anywhere.

Again, if the Chris Paul trade works, it establishes Phoenix as a place where top free agents want to go. It's not just for this season but the future.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but there is a chance. Three top players (including Ayton) on a team should attract some attention around the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
milwaukee should have made this deal happen.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Meh. Was not an option.

Then that would be a no. You don't use up all of your cap space, leave other key positional needs entirely unaddressed and give up a future draft pick for "meh"...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave