Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here is the rationalization for the trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Except that Cam proved too slow and unathletic to play small forward. Cam's best and only role is as a stretch 4 off the bench. We still need a back-up wing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This isn't the 90's anymore.

Teams win with 3 point shooting, not slashing to the basket.

Teams still need both, especially to keep up with the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, Bucks and Celtics.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that Cam proved too slow and unathletic to play small forward. Cam's best and only role is as a stretch 4 off the bench. We still need a back-up wing.

Well - we have the 10th pick still.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He can play both in a bench role depending on match-ups. If he was atheltic enough for the 3 or strong enough for the 4, he'd be a starter. He's a key bench player. It's the coach's job to understand his strengths and weakness and use him effectively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might have gone in that direction but Orlando probably wouldn’t have.

I suspect the Suns could have traded for Aaron Gordon last season using Oubre and a first round pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I would have traded Cam Johnson before the 2022 first round pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He can play both in a bench role depending on match-ups. If he was atheltic enough for the 3 or strong enough for the 4, he'd be a starter. He's a key bench player. It's the coach's job to understand his strengths and weakness and use him effectively.

And indeed Monty has done that job admirably, understanding quite correctly that the only effective way to use Cam is as a stretch 4.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the rationalization for the trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah I think we all can understand the rationalization but I'm not thrilled that we're selling when his value is near it's lowest due to the injury. Take the Paul deal out of the equation and it's quite possible he would have bounced back strongly and created a much better market for himself. If Paul has an impactful season with us, all will be forgiven but if he doesn't, giving him away like this could (mildly) haunt us for years to come.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we all can understand the rationalization but I'm not thrilled that we're selling when his value is near it's lowest due to the injury. Take the Paul deal out of the equation and it's quite possible he would have bounced back strongly and created a much better market for himself. If Paul has an impactful season with us, all will be forgiven but if he doesn't, giving him away like this could (mildly) haunt us for years to come.

It reminds me a bit of that Hail Mary pass by Kyler Murray yesterday except the Suns do not have DeAndre Hopkins to catch it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would have traded Cam Johnson before the 2022 first round pick.

If we get 2019 Paul, that pick shouldn't be all that valuable even considering it's the "double draft". I would NOT have included anything above what was necessary to meet salary requirements but the pick is the least of my worries.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Have to disagree. People know what Kelly brings to the table at this point. He is a guy with high energy that can score with decent efficiency.

Him being out injured for a couple months didn’t really do much to effect his trade value IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not thrilled with the pick given up, but We’re gonna lose Booker to the Lakers in three years anyway so I’m down with taking the risk here. If Paul can stay healthy, we should finally make the playoffs for the first time in forever.
I am afraid there is more truth in this than I care to admit.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then why didn't it have a ton of value to the Thunder?

This board seriously overrates expiring contracts.

Well expiring contracts only have value in their last year - but 43 million dollar expiring contracts I don't think have much value ever because it's hard to find players worth that much money anyone wants to give up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of that Hail Mary pass by Kyler Murray yesterday except the Suns do not have DeAndre Hopkins to catch it.

I'd jump at the chance to bring that play into any conversation here too but if I've made it sound like this trade rivals that kind of long-shot, I haven't made myself clear. I think the odds that we fondly look back upon this deal are against us, but not greatly against us.