CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have access to the whole ESPN story by let's not forget when talking about trading Oubre what he brought to the team.

Note the new "The Valley" jersey on Ayton. See link below.

From Zach Lowe ESPN Senior Writer:

"Being traded was such a transitional moment for me," Oubre, 24, told ESPN this week. "I came to a place where I had a crowd of young guys. We meshed and vibed out. This group is so fun compared to other groups I've been with because of the youth and the energy."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...enix-suns-got-new-black-valley-jerseys-wanted

Ayton vibed out too much

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Firstly, the Suns’ ceiling with Chris Paul + whoever they can get with 18mm cap space + MLE is very much a team that could compete for a title. Miami and Denver were on the cusp of winning a title this year: are they really that far from the Suns’ with Paul/Jerami Grant/Augustin?

Would Miami have won a series against any of the top four teams in the West? As for the Nuggets, yes, there's a huge gap between them and the Suns. Jokic is miles ahead of Ayton, Murray has the edge on Booker, and you can continue from there.

I like Paul's game a lot, but the notion that adding him would transform the lottery Suns into a title contender is lunacy.

Also, where do you get $18 million in cap space? The trade would add $7.5 million to the Suns' payroll.

Secondly, the question isn’t whether Oubre has value (he does, marginally); it’s whether he has anything close to the value of Paul over the next two seasons. He doesn’t. Anyone who thinks so is just wrong.

Paul is one more serious injury away from retirement. Yes, I agree that if the goal is only to win as many games as possible over the next two seasons, Paul is a better bet than Oubre, but that's a very narrow way of looking at it.

Who cares if Oubre has more marginal value 3-5 years from now?

More "marginal" value? Oubre will have much greater value than Paul 3-5 years from now. Paul's value then will be zero.

By that time Booker may have grown too disenchanted to want to stay.

You must think Booker is pretty stupid if you expect him to be appeased by a couple of short-sighted first-round exits at the expense of the team's long-term development.

The bubble was the closest thing to playoffs this team has seen, and, without Oubre, I saw them grow quite a bit!

8-0 is great no matter how you slice it, but how many of the Suns' bubble opponents had something to play for? It wasn't real NBA-caliber competition.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was remarkedly consistent last year and was the clear number 1 option, even with Shai's breakout. Imagine that kind of talent on a team where he doesn't need to do everything. Even at age 36.

I know the plusses, I'm just more concerned about the minuses. Prior to the unique 2020 season, which was not only shortened but also allowed for a long healing break prior to the final 8 games and the postseason, Paul had missed 24 games in each of the two previous seasons and 21 the year before those. There's no guarantee either way but I think it's probable that the Paul of those recent years is more likely to appear than last season's Paul.

It's clear I'm not going to talk anyone out of liking this deal and that's fine, it will be just as impossible to convince me it's a smart gamble even though I realize it MIGHT pay off. I'm just tired of watching the teams I care about commit time and money on injury prone players or athletes nearing the end of their usefulness. We don't have the organizational wealth to support those kinds of risks IMO.

IOW, I just don't expect the upside from that trade that many of you guys do. I see more upside in keeping the team mostly intact and building on last year's season with Rubio, Payne, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Saric, Johnson, Ayton and Carter along with a draft pick and an FA or two.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So let's get rid of our old pg for an older more expensive pg that gets half the assists of Rubio.

This is why the Suns are the laughingstock of the NBA.

That contract is ass.

You do realize that Paul was 2nd team ALL NBA last year right?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So let's get rid of our old pg for an older more expensive pg that gets half the assists of Rubio.

This is why the Suns are the laughingstock of the NBA.

That contract is ass.

Does anyone else feel like CP3 would help Ayton get some more attempts? Rubio does have a higher rate per game but how he gets them isn't the same as how CP3 runs the show.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like CP3 would help Ayton get some more attempts? Rubio does have a higher rate per game but how he gets them isn't the same as how CP3 runs the show.

I don't believe he'd have much of an impact on Ayton's mindset (at least not positively) or aggressiveness but yes, if he's healthy, I think he'd work the two man game much better with Ayton than Rubio or Booker have been able to.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You do realize that Paul was 2nd team ALL NBA last year right?

Yep that's amazing, with his stats there's at least 100 players that should have had that spot before him. Some of them from our team. Its a popularity contest.
And not worth 85mil for 2 years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that's amazing, with his stats there's at least 100 players that should have had that spot before him. Some of them from our team. Its a popularity contest.

To an extent, I agree with all of this except I don't believe you can come up with anywhere near 100 players that should have had that spot before him. Maybe 20 or so, at most, IMO.

I'm more concerned about the fact that making an ALL NBA team wasn't something he could do in the several years prior, not until the league played a schedule that allowed players to rest and heal unlike ever before. Just look at how much better Lebron was in that schedule, Paul benefitted in the same way. Will he duplicate that in a schedule that comes closer to normal (still shortened though) or will he return to the form of the 3 or 4 previous seasons where postseason awards easily eluded him?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To an extent, I agree with all of this except I don't believe you can come up with anywhere near 100 players that should have had that spot before him. Maybe 20 or so, at most, IMO.

I'm more concerned about the fact that making an ALL NBA team wasn't something he could do in the several years prior, not until the league played a schedule that allowed players to rest and heal unlike ever before. Just look at how much better Lebron was in that schedule, Paul benefitted in the same way. Will he duplicate that in a schedule that comes closer to normal (still shortened though) or will he return to the form of the 3 or 4 previous seasons where postseason awards easily eluded him?
Yeah 100 players was overselling it.
If they make this trade im 100% behind it and the team. I just think there are other avenues without spending 85 mil

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

with Steve Nash’s stats in his first MVP season, there were “at least 100 players that should have won before him.

All Star games are popularity contests where fans have massive sway. ALL-NBA teams come from beat writers and players who know how much of an impact others make.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we make the playoffs the next 2 years, he sure as hell is worth it.

I disagree. We were 20-18 last year in the games Ayton played in, that pace alone would have put us into the playoffs. Bring back the Dario that finished the season, keep everyone reasonably healthy, and simply making the playoffs should be the minimum for this team even without Paul.

I'm sure someone will cry foul because we won 8 of those Ayton games in the bubble but even if you flip a couple of them, and consider him an 18-20 player instead, that still puts us in a tie for that last playoff spot. To me, if Paul and the rest of the team are reasonably healthy and he plays like he did this season in OKC, the bar should be far higher than just making the playoffs.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would not expect a sub-500 team to make the playoffs in the West next year (even with play-in format).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not expect a sub-500 team to make the playoffs in the West next year (even with play-in format).

It's not exactly rare but sure, we also see teams with 48 wins missing the playoffs every now and then. But my point still stands, even without progress, we should expect an average performance of our current roster to put us in the playoff race. And maybe I'm in the minority on this but I expect continued growth from our young players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Did you check his impact stats too?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I do think it's interesting to note that the trend line on the vote supporting the trade has pretty much gone like this year's election. In favor of trading for CP started out about 2:1 within the first few days of the story, but the gap has considerably closed since to where it's almost neck and neck.

Is there some fraud here? I hope it doesn't end up going to a recount. ;)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do think it's interesting to note that the trend line on the vote supporting the trade has pretty much gone like this year's election. In favor of trading for CP started out about 2:1 within the first few days of the story, but the gap has considerably closed since to where it's almost neck and neck.

I’m just impressed there’s 61 votes. Are there 61 people that still post here?!?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just impressed there’s 61 votes. Are there 61 people that still post here?!?

I actually voted twice. Seriously.

I screwed up and clicked on the button I expected to reveal how each poster voted only to discover it was the "change your vote" button. Who knew?