2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maxey as a trade down to 18 or so would be a step down in cost (and value, at least for a year or two). Right now, I figure if I know the name of the free agent, they are either on the bargain rack or out of our price range. I'm guessing we'll get to see a few faces from the G League.

Trading down to #18 would involve Dallas. How do you envision that trade?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cheating. :D

Let's do something with Boston who has 14, 26 and 30.

Sure, that's a nice possibility that could spring up during the draft if Boston sees one of their targets dropping to our spot. But thanks to the untimely appearance of Covid-19 there are far more questions about the vast majority of these players than usual so I'm not sure that any team will want to pay the premium for moving up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, that's a nice possibility that could spring up during the draft if Boston sees one of their targets dropping to our spot. But thanks to the untimely appearance of Covid-19 there are far more questions about the vast majority of these players than usual so I'm not sure that any team will want to pay the premium for moving up.

Some teams are stocked with picks though. Including second round picks, Boston has 4, New Orleans 4 and Philadelphia has 5.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maxey as a trade down to 18 or so would be a step down in cost (and value, at least for a year or two). Right now, I figure if I know the name of the free agent, they are either on the bargain rack or out of our price range. I'm guessing we'll get to see a few faces from the G League.

I am getting quite sick of seeing G Leaguers in our rotation...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some teams are stocked with picks though. Including second round picks, Boston has 4, New Orleans 4 and Philadelphia has 5.

So, let's see, if we let Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky and Carter walk and trade Oubre plus our lottery pick for Boston's 30th pick and their 4 second rounders we can refill our roster for pennies on the dollar.

BTW, I hope I'm kidding, I really do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, let's see, if we let Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky and Carter walk and trade Oubre plus our lottery pick for Boston's 30th pick and their 4 second rounders we can refill our roster for pennies on the dollar.

BTW, I hope I'm kidding, I really do.

I'm probably being naive but I don't see it getting that bad. Although I see Sarver trading Oubre for a pick as safety valve if he wants to save money. Of course that is pretty bad.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Sarver starts to deplete our roster just to save money, it's time for the NBA to intervene. Meanwhile, Booker will be as good as gone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Sarver starts to deplete our roster just to save money, it's time for the NBA to intervene. Meanwhile, Booker will be as good as gone.

That's pure fantasy. They wouldn't do it in normal times, I'm quite sure they'd be even less inclined in today's market especially since he isn't the only owner that cannot afford to sustain significant losses for very long.

I've never agreed with the idea that we will want to move Booker or that he will force the move but this virus and the subsequent impact on the economy changes everything (potentially). I'm not going to fret over the possible loss of Booker though, if it happens it happens. And chances are we'll all have a lot more to worry about if things stay bad long enough to force Sarver to sell off our best assets.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably being naive but I don't see it getting that bad. Although I see Sarver trading Oubre for a pick as safety valve if he wants to save money. Of course that is pretty bad.

Maybe, but if I were you I'd just continue hoping that you're right and that other guy is over-the-top jaded.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but if I were you I'd just continue hoping that you're right and that other guy is over-the-top jaded.

It's hard to know but I guess we will find out soon enough as the NBA draft is November 18th. I'd think the the modified salary cap would have to be agreed upon by then. Lots of trades are made on draft day.

If the Suns don't choose to build on last season it's a crying shame and Sarver should sell the Suns.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's hard to know but I guess we will find out soon enough as the NBA draft is November 18th. I'd think the the modified salary cap would have to be agree upon by then. Lots of trades are made on draft day.

If the Suns don't choose to build on last season it's a crying shame and Sarver should sell the Suns.

I will go a step further. In that scenario, Sarver should be forced to sell the Suns, and the Suns should be put into receivership with that in mind.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will go a step further. In that scenario, Sarver should be forced to sell the Suns, and the Suns should be put into receivership with that in mind.

Unfortunately I don't think that would happen now as cash strapped teams could blame it on the pandemic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/10/22/tyrell-terry-phoenix-suns-nba-draft-rumors/

If there is any truth to this, James Jones's obsession with players in his image (hard working, high IQ players who can catch and shoot but who can't do anything else) is a real problem that isn't going away.

In any event, the last thing this team needs is an unathletic shooting guard in a smallish point guard's body, who has no point guard skills whatsoever (3.2 assists, 2.6 turnovers)...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think that would happen now as cash strapped teams could blame it on the pandemic.

The problem, though, is that the Suns are not cash strapped. The team's value has tripled since Sarver's group acquired it, and there are absolutely ways to extract the cash flow they need, particularly since they have given up their G League affiliate, and since the taxpayers are paying for a significant portion of the Arena renovations and practice facility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's pure fantasy. They wouldn't do it in normal times, I'm quite sure they'd be even less inclined in today's market especially since he isn't the only owner that cannot afford to sustain significant losses for very long.

I've never agreed with the idea that we will want to move Booker or that he will force the move but this virus and the subsequent impact on the economy changes everything (potentially). I'm not going to fret over the possible loss of Booker though, if it happens it happens. And chances are we'll all have a lot more to worry about if things stay bad long enough to force Sarver to sell off our best assets.

That's kind of my point. If things aren't bad enough for other teams to go into pure cost-cutting mode, then the problem isn't COVID or the economy. The problem is Sarver. And if that is the case, do you really think it will be okay if thanks to Sarver's frugality the Suns go two full decades without making the playoffs, setting an all-time NBA record for futility in the process?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kind of my point. If things aren't bad enough for other teams to go into pure cost-cutting mode, then the problem isn't COVID or the economy. The problem is Sarver. And if that is the case, do you really think it will be okay if thanks to Sarver's frugality the Suns go two full decades without making the playoffs, setting an all-time NBA record for futility in the process?

I think the NBA could care less if the Suns ever make the playoffs again as long as the franchise is financially stable. But regardless, I'd be absolutely stunned (not hyperbole) if Sarver is the only owner in cost cutting mode as the financial impact from this virus continues and likely worsens. I think we'll see more than half the organizations handling business in a similar manner to Robert.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/10/22/tyrell-terry-phoenix-suns-nba-draft-rumors/

If there is any truth to this, James Jones's obsession with players in his image (hard working, high IQ players who can catch and shoot but who can't do anything else) is a real problem that isn't going away.

In any event, the last thing this team needs is an unathletic shooting guard in a smallish point guard's body, who has no point guard skills whatsoever (3.2 assists, 2.6 turnovers)...

Hoopshype had Terry going #10 in their mock as well. Maybe this is where it came from.

If Terry's measurements have improved, I like him. He has a really quick release on his shot and reminds me a bit of Trae Young. It would be nicer to get him in a trade down though. We've discussed him a bit already.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the NBA could care less if the Suns ever make the playoffs again as long as the franchise is financially stable. But regardless, I'd be absolutely stunned (not hyperbole) if Sarver is the only owner in cost cutting mode as the financial impact from this virus continues and likely worsens. I think we'll see more than half the organizations handling business in a similar manner to Robert.

How many that were on the verge of turning the corner and had a promising future that is being thrown away for the sake of cutting costs?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hoopshype had Terry going #10 in their mock as well. Maybe this is where it came from.

If Terry's measurements have improved, I like him. He has a really quick release on his shot and reminds me a bit of Trae Young.

Except he can't pass or dribble the ball or create his own shot...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except he can't pass or dribble the ball or create his own shot...

Perhaps you missed this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Perhaps you missed this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I watched him in games during the Pac 12 season. He was incredibly easy to defend. Just crowd him, and he was shut down. Opponents who knew to get in his face successfully neutralized him. Opponents who gave him a little room were beaten by his incredibly quick shot release. Yes, he very occasionally drove the ball, but it was not enough of a threat not to crowd him, he didn't have a quick enough first step to overcome it, and his decision making wasn't good enough to make defenses pay for providing help at the rim. He is a catch-and-shoot shooting guard in a small point guard's body.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daniel Oturu tested well in NBA draft combine.

By Marcus Fuller StarTribune:

In other testing results, Oturu’s box lane agility drill (11.37 seconds), 3/4 court sprint (3.28 seconds), standing vertical jump (29.5 inches) and max vertical (35.5 inches) topped averages at his position from the 2019 NBA Draft combine in Chicago.

Overall, his 2020 pre-draft assessment was pretty impressive for an athlete at his size and length, which included measurements of a 7-4 wingspan, 9-2 standing reach and 9.25-inch hand width.

Tre Jones also tested well.

Jones’ combine numbers tested off the charts as well, most notably a 40-inch max vertical jump. He also had box lane agility (10.48 seconds) and 3/4 sprint (3.14) numbers above many point guards in last year’s combine.

https://www.startribune.com/ex-goph...t-during-virtual-nba-draft-combine/572842752/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA