Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think they bail on Hicks. Dead money and a captain i think. Also, Vallejo came in for Hicks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hicks weakness is in coverage and we have seen how good Campbell is and we all expected Simmons to be outstanding in coverage. I like Hicks and I would expect VJ would find a way to get them all enough playing time.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I dont think they bail on Hicks. Dead money and a captain i think. Also, Vallejo came in for Hicks.

you would save $3mm in 2021 and $9mm in 2022 cap money by moving on. I like the player, but the cap constriction is going to force some difficult decisions

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hicks weakness is in coverage and we have seen how good Campbell is and we all expected Simmons to be outstanding in coverage. I like Hicks and I would expect VJ would find a way to get them all enough playing time.
I don't expect Vance to do too much in terms or creativity. I have seen his vanilla blitz packages. If you want to see something sad, look at his success rate when blitzing, 18th in AZ last year and 31st in 2018 per Football Outsiders. Pretty gross when you consider he had Chandler Jones in 2019 and Von Miller in 2018.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't expect Vance to do too much in terms or creativity. I have seen his vanilla blitz packages. If you want to see something sad, look at his success rate when blitzing, 18th in AZ last year and 31st in 2018 per Football Outsiders. Pretty gross when you consider he had Chandler Jones in 2019 and Von Miller in 2018.

man, his blitzes really do suck.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So, we drafted Simmons to be a gadget player until Campbell plays poorly or leaves in the offseason...I hate Keim's mentality when it comes to the draft.

I think Keim pulled a best player available instead of best player at a position of need.

How good would this team be right now with CB Henderson?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we drafted Simmons to be a gadget player until Campbell plays poorly or leaves in the offseason...I hate Keim's mentality when it comes to the draft.

Lol

Take a break chopper. You're overreacting still. Give it some time! Its way too early to be upset while 2-0

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the one hand we have many fans as volunteer GM's. And on the other hand we have SK as a paid GM. I'll go with the other hand, remembering you get what you pay for. And, also remembering all the volunteers who didn't want the team to draft KM.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On the one hand we have many fans as volunteer GM's. And on the other hand we have SK as a paid GM. I'll go with the other hand, remembering you get what you pay for. And, also remembering all the volunteers who didn't want the team to draft KM.
Yes...because "In Keim We Trust" has never steered us wrong. I love how Keim is suddenly un-reproachable after he hit on the #1 pick in the draft and...Rashad Lawrence. All prior history is apparently ignored.

But, you do you. If you trust in Keim now, I hope you are correct. I will still choose to believe that he is the guy he has shown himself to be over the years.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why can't VJ just watch film of teams that are very successful blitzing?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes...because "In Keim We Trust" has never steered us wrong. I love how Keim is suddenly un-reproachable after he hit on the #1 pick in the draft and...Rashad Lawrence. All prior history is apparently ignored.

But, you do you. If you trust in Keim now, I hope you are correct. I will still choose to believe that he is the guy he has shown himself to be over the years.

He's also the guy who built at team that won like 35 games over a 3 year stretch.

Keim has shown he can make some shrewd moves here and there. Is he the best? No he's not, but he's probably the best GM the Cardinals have had on their Arizona years.

This team right now has Keims fingerprints all over it and MANY GMs (including you if you were one) would have kept Rosen and drafted Bosa. It's hard to believe that this team would have done better last year and the 2-0 start this year with that configuration.

My issue with Keim, and I know you have said this many times, is that he continues to use premium draft picks on non premium positions.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's also the guy who built at team that won like 35 games over a 3 year stretch.

Keim has shown he can make some shrewd moves here and there. Is he the best? No he's not, but he's probably the best GM the Cardinals have had on their Arizona years.

This team right now has Keims fingerprints all over it and MANY GMs (including you if you were one) would have kept Rosen and drafted Bosa. It's hard to believe that this team would have done better last year and the 2-0 start this year with that configuration.

My issue with Keim, and I know you have said this many times, is that he continues to use premium draft picks on non premium positions.
Here is the difference between us. I think the Cardinals won 35 games over 3 years DESPITE Keim at GM. I feel like they underachieved based upon his approach to FA and the draft. I do acknowledge Keim hired Kingsbury and drafted Murray, but I believe that was a desperation move more than anything else. His trades are also very successful and his FA approach this year was pretty good. His contracts and cap management are weird, but I am not as familiar with the orgs setup in terms of cap management.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why can't VJ just watch film of teams that are very successful blitzing?
He could but some of blitzing ins knowing when to blitz and who to blitz against. Vance wants to try to cover EVERYTHING which is why his scheme is so assignment driven and complex. That is the biggest difference between Vance and Wade Phillips. Wade's scheme is fairly simple in terms of what he asks players to do on any given play. He wants his fast players to think less in order to play as fast as they can. Vance wants to have as many if-then assignments as possible which covers more, but requires a bunch more thinking and communication.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Here is the difference between us. I think the Cardinals won 35 games over 3 years DESPITE Keim at GM. I feel like they underachieved based upon his approach to FA and the draft. I do acknowledge Keim hired Kingsbury and drafted Murray, but I believe that was a desperation move more than anything else. His trades are also very successful and his FA approach this year was pretty good. His contracts and cap management are weird, but I am not as familiar with the orgs setup in terms of cap management.

I don't think a team wins for three years and gets progressively better every season DESPITE the GM.

Let's look at what he did in a nutshell. Cardinals lacked a QB, LT, Edge rushers. He found a shrewd trade to bring in Palmer. Signed Jared Veldheer. Brought in older get pass rushers to fill the void. Every season brought in a #2 CB on a cheap contract.

What did he do wrong? He didn't fill the positions with youth. I think this is more Arians than Keim.

Where I think they went wrong is that they should've seen that their model wasn't sustainable. Palmer was getting less effective at the end of 2015. They had to get younger at QB to have sustainable success. They didn't do it because they still wanted to win now. The next season they went 7-9. That's when they should have blown it up and rebuilt, but instead they pushed for one more year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't think a team wins for three years and gets progressively better every season DESPITE the GM.

Let's look at what he did in a nutshell. Cardinals lacked a QB, LT, Edge rushers. He found a shrewd trade to bring in Palmer. Signed Jared Veldheer. Brought in older get pass rushers to fill the void. Every season brought in a #2 CB on a cheap contract.

What did he do wrong? He didn't fill the positions with youth. I think this is more Arians than Keim.

Where I think they went wrong is that they should've seen that their model wasn't sustainable. Palmer was getting less effective at the end of 2015. They had to get younger at QB to have sustainable success. They didn't do it because they still wanted to win now. The next season they went 7-9. That's when they should have blown it up and rebuilt, but instead they pushed for one more year.
Agreed. Arians is on record about rookies...Keim brought in the vets...and I personally think Arians had more of a hand in the draft, than others think. The reaches...the small school over achievers...etc...I think Arians was very influential on those picks. Unfortunately, after the 3 year run, those swing/miss picks were mostly misses....and then those vets got old, overnight...and the last 2 years could never recapture the glory.

As an aside...someone made a thread about Bill Davis not being able to develop/coach young players....Arians staff had the same issues. Guys like DJ (running back) had natural abilities and was NFL ready, while the other DJ (ot) needed coaching and development to get the most out of his talent. This isn't an indictment of BA or his scheme and ability to coach. Just an observation on the type of players that actually fit for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agreed. Arians is on record about rookies...Keim brought in the vets...and I personally think Arians had more of a hand in the draft, than others think. The reaches...the small school over achievers...etc...I think Arians was very influential on those picks. Unfortunately, after the 3 year run, those swing/miss picks were mostly misses....and then those vets got old, overnight...and the last 2 years could never recapture the glory.

As an aside...someone made a thread about Bill Davis not being able to develop/coach young players....Arians staff had the same issues. Guys like DJ (running back) had natural abilities and was NFL ready, while the other DJ (ot) needed coaching and development to get the most out of his talent. This isn't an indictment of BA or his scheme and ability to coach. Just an observation on the type of players that actually fit for him.

If a GM lets his coach dictate specifically what players he drafts and what FA's he gets...isn't that the sign of a weak GM? There should obviously be some collaboration but in the end, roster configuration and salary cap should be in the purview of the GM.

This unbalanced relationship, in my opinion, is why Keim gave Gresham that ridiculous 2nd contract.

Personal opinion that I know some don't agree with, but it is why I feel the way I do about Keim. He has his strengths, but he also, IMO, makes the same mistakes over and over again which is really frustrating.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If a GM lets his coach dictate specifically what players he drafts and what FA's he gets...isn't that the sign of a weak GM? There should obviously be some collaboration but in the end, roster configuration and salary cap should be in the purview of the GM.

This unbalanced relationship, in my opinion, is why Keim gave Gresham that ridiculous 2nd contract.

Personal opinion that I know some don't agree with, but it is why I feel the way I do about Keim. He has his strengths, but he also, IMO, makes the same mistakes over and over again which is really frustrating.
I hear you....he is/was a younger GM at the time and BA came in with a lot of bravado, age and 'experience'...it's quite possible SK just didn't know how to put BA in his place, until it was too late.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I hear you....he is/was a younger GM at the time and BA came in with a lot of bravado, age and 'experience'...it's quite possible SK just didn't know how to put BA in his place, until it was too late.

Or it was part of the agreement for BA taking the job. We just don't know, its all speculation. If that is all true lets just hope he has learned from those mistakes and it will make him better in the future.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

I was getting soooo close to forgetting that contract existed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose