What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Did I say anything about that being a "driving force'? Did I call out anyone specifically? No on both counts. I said any calls of calling Simmons a bust are nonsense and I just gave you one example of someone calling him a bust (without using the word bust but heavily implying it).

I think you are being sensitive for some reason as I obviously wasn't talking about you or your posts.
Trolls are everywhere dude...no one with any established credibility on this board called Simmons a bust. Some random doesn't count in my book.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My doubts about Vance Joseph and his old coaching mentality was about not being enough creative to use a hybrid player like Simmons
I said this just after the draft, my perplexity if he was the right coach for him to start his NFL career, and my concern are actually confirmed
I'm fine sitting him behind De'Vondre Campbell but there were ton of snaps to use him in some different ways considering what was able to do in college
No, it didn't happen, just couple of mistakes reading plays and then a drastically decrease of snaps for him
Then we have banjo playing all the snaps...
Can we use him at least as an extra Blitzer?

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Trolls are everywhere dude...no one with any established credibility on this board called Simmons a bust. Some random doesn't count in my book.

When you say "no one" is calling him a bust that isn't accurate at all--troll or not that is someone. You made it sound like I didn't read what I read. Next time I will be sure to put a disclaimer in there I am not referring to "credible" posters before I post. :)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans, we certainly have a reason to worry about first round draft picks because there have been so many wasted picks.

It's nice to have the luxury with Campbell playing so well to allow Simmons to sit and learn this year. I am fine with that but would certainly like to see some glimpses of hope/development from him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
When you say "no one" is calling him a bust that isn't accurate at all--troll or not that is someone. You made it sound like I didn't read what I read. Next time I will be sure to put a disclaimer in there I am not referring to "credible" posters before I post. :)
I appreciate your willingness to do that.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Simmons was the right pick. People freaking out over the first 2 games of a rookies career is both hilarious and asinine.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Simmons was the right pick. People freaking out over the first 2 games of a rookies career is both hilarious and asinine.

Yes, but maybe concern is warranted at this point? DROYs are much more often at off-ball linebacker than, say, defensive end or cornerback because it's much easier to integrate that position at the NFL level. It's okay to be concerned that your #8 overall pick can't show out at that position or dig out a role for himself.

I agree with if you if they’re not OL/DL which requires less processing skills.

IMO, DL is one of the more difficult positions technically to learn at the NFL level. The step up from college where you're able to physically dominate 80%+ of the competition to the NFL where everyone talented is profound. This is what happened with Calvin Pace — he had to develop an array of pass rush moves from scratch because he just ran through people at Wake Forest. Pace had a 12-year NFL career and 60 sacks.

There just isn't much time for teams to develop these players/projects. So you end up hoping they do it themselves. Calvisi said that Simmons was getting the right answers in the classroom, but was struggling to translate that to the practice field.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Not sure is anyone posted this from last week:

Joseph noted how evaluation from the outside usually focuses on bad plays, but the good ones often go unseen. And Simmons also had some of those.

Joseph said, “Sometimes with players, when you watch the tape and you watch the good things they do; no one noticed those (good) things. He covered Kittle seven or eight times and Kittle caught one ball, and on the one sack that (Angelo) Blackson got in the second quarter, he (49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo) wanted Kittle and Isaiah had him covered. So those things aren't talked about. So after the game, I called him and I said, I'm proud of you, how you hung in there, because it got physical and got fast on him quickly, and the one in the red zone (a touchdown by running back Jerick McKinnon), he could have played better, but that's part of being a young guy. So, he's going to get better and better. Physically, he's what we want. He just needs more time on the job.”
https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/isaiah-simmons-room-to-grow

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Urban today:

This is gonna be a weekly thing, is it? Look, as it stands right now, it feels like long-term for Campbell might be tough to do under the circumstances. We will see. I mean, the Cards clearly have a package for Simmons and Hicks and Campbell all to be on the field at the same time -- so this is more about Simmons than Simmons v. Campbell. But again, two games in and people want to punt Simmons and I don't get it. If they are winning, which they are, there is not a rush. I agree with Vance Joseph -- losing the entire offseason as well as preseason games means something. If he were playing safety, I believe he'd be in the same situation. I also have come to agree with my cohort Kyle Odegard, which is at his size, I don't know if playing safety all the time makes sense. If he has had a couple of issues in coverage, for instance, how does moving him to safety help? Be terribly worried about climate change, or the political division in our country, or racial inequality. Simmons' situation after two games doesn't warrant it.]
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/you-ve-got-mail-lions-week-x6900

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the lack of OTAs talk is more of Vance issue than a Simmons issue.

Vance doesnt know what he's good at or hasnt had the time to get creative to figure out what to do with him.

This is what scouts said during the draft time. Needs an already creative DC to figure out what to do with him. No OTA's/limited camp and now Vance is figuring it out on the fly.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

this defense is playing at a high level right now. There’s neither a need to hasten Isaiah on to the field nor a reason for a 3-page thread dedicated to the fact he is not on it much.

Dude will get his time. Let VJ do his thing and leave him alone too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

this defense is playing at a high level right now. There’s neither a need to hasten Isaiah on to the field nor a reason for a 3-page thread dedicated to the fact he is not on it much.

Dude will get his time. Let VJ do his thing and leave him alone too.
Bad process, good result mentality here. 6'4 238lbs and runs a 4.3 40 drafted 8 overall has no role on our defense. A defense that plays Reddick, Vallejo, Chris Banjo and Devon Kennard snaps. But, because our defense is playing good...no worries.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Vance doesnt know what he's good at or hasnt had the time to get creative to figure out what to do with him.

This is what scouts said during the draft time. Needs an already creative DC to figure out what to do with him. No OTA's/limited camp and now Vance is figuring it out on the fly.
No plan for the dude taken 8 in the draft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, after they declined Reddick's option year because of his terrible development and thus will be a free agent. So one year of production and then gone.

Isabella on 14 snaps. Another reason to dislike PFF ratings.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

He's had plenty of game tape at his disposal. I can't buy lack of OTAs/camp as an issue.

OP
OP
C

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Inside linebacker is by far the easiest the defensive position to acclimate to in the NFL which makes Simmons' performance even more worrisome.

How many times have we seen lesser prospects absolutely dominate in their rookie year?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not to derail..

well I'll try to tie in..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kid is playing well. However, if he was here I'm not sure he'd beat out Beachum yet.

So glass half full...maybe Campbell is just better now, but Simmons isnt far off from becoming helpful.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons has 2 games, no preseason. Yep, he is a total failure. End of story.
He is not a total failure...this team's approach to drafting and integrating these types of players is. This is on Keim and VAnce and Kliff to a degree. They obviously took a player with no real plan on how to use him, especially if Campbell (their #1 target in FA) played well. Simmons is the same guy he was in college. I don't fault him for that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA