List of players opting out of season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work when there won’t be a season.

Its 6 weeks away. Cases are dropping in all the worst effected states. Things aren't going to get worse.

There's too much money at stake. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a season in some form.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worse how? On what metric?

Because ultimately there's only one that matters and that's deaths. Those 6 states combines had 211 deaths yesterday.

Only 15 states had 20 or more deaths yesterday. 59% of all the USA deaths yesterday were in 4 states. Every single one of them are seeing decreases in the rolling 7 day average of infections and football is 6 weeks away.

If you took away those 4 states I think the vast majority of you would be singing a very different tune on how well things were going right now.

You can even drill down further due to the size of those states which are larger than most countries. Texas has 254 counties of which only 52 had a death yesterday. 41 of those were 2 or less. The vast majority of the Texas problem is in Hidalgo and Harris.

Same with Florida. More than half their total deaths are in Miami-Dade, Broward and Pasco. In California it's LA and Orange County.

And if you remove London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool - GB's response to Covid-19 is the envy of the world.

And in War one counts casualties, not simply deaths. Covid-19 adversely effects major organs, according to initial studies, which could in turn impact on longevity.

It is simply not a given that conditions will have improved dramatically in the next 6 weeks

If you chose the economy over health, you end up with neither.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And if you remove London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool - GB's response to Covid-19 is the envy of the world.

And in War one counts casualties, not simply deaths. Covid-19 adversely effects major organs, according to initial studies, which could in turn impact on longevity.

It is simply not a given that conditions will have improved dramatically in the next 6 weeks

If you chose the economy over health, you end up with neither.

Cities aren't states and all those cities you just listed have the same centralized response.

I'm not sure how that's a viable comparison with 3 of the largest land mass states in the US. Texas, California and Arizona are all individually bigger than the UK and top 6 in US states. California, Texas and Florida are the 3 most populous US states. They are all countries in their own right with different responses to the virus.

If France or Spain was having a bad outbreak but the UK was fine would you be shouting about cancelling all UK sports? No you wouldn't.

And please, show me this evidence regarding long term health impacts and organ damage. What percentage? What organs? Does it effect healthy people or only those with co-morbidity? I can tell you there is no evidence. There is no scientific report or statistical analysis of long term health effects. Just a small amount of anecdotal reports blown out of proportion by the media.

And no, there's no guarantee that they will be over in 6 weeks. But there is a very high probability it will be drastically lower considering that the average fall from peak infections over 6 weeks is 75%.

California peaked with 12k cases about a week ago. In 6 weeks time they will have around 3000 tops if they follow the trend.

Texas peaked with 12.5k 2 weeks ago, in 6 weeks they will be down to about 2k.

Florida peaked with 15k cases on July 12th. They are already down around 9k. In 6 weeks they will be around 2k tops.

The evidence is there in practically all infection curves.

What I can tell you with absolute certainty is they won't be the same or higher than they are now, which has happened nowhere.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cities aren't states and all those cities you just listed have the same centralized response.

I'm not sure how that's a viable comparison with 3 of the largest land mass states in the US. Texas, California and Arizona are all individually bigger than the UK and top 6 in US states. California, Texas and Florida are the 3 most populous US states. They are all countries in their own right with different responses to the virus.

If France or Spain was having a bad outbreak but the UK was fine would you be shouting about cancelling all UK sports? No you wouldn't.

And please, show me this evidence regarding long term health impacts and organ damage. What percentage? What organs? Does it effect healthy people or only those with co-morbidity? I can tell you there is no evidence. There is no scientific report or statistical analysis of long term health effects. Just a small amount of anecdotal reports blown out of proportion by the media.

And no, there's no guarantee that they will be over in 6 weeks. But there is a very high probability considering that the average fall from peak infections over 6 weeks is 75%.

California peaked with 12k cases about a week ago. In 6 weeks time they will have around 3000 if they follow the trend.

What I can tell you with absolute certainty is they won't be the same or higher than they are now, which has happened nowhere.

The landmass is irrelevant. In an increasingly urbanized world, where people actually live and the density within those environs is the true measure. The fair comparison is between a city like Chicago and Toronto with metro populations of 6m, etc., etc.

The evidence on the long term effects of COVID-19 will come out over time and with additional study; everything is preliminary at this point.

I'll wait for the scientific evidence and pass on your certainties.

I'm not shouting for an end to sports in America, but I do note that baseball's return has hit a snag.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but I do note that baseball's return has hit a snag.

Snap, but now isn't 6 weeks.

I honestly don't get it though. How hard is it for a professional sportsman to just stay at home for a few months and not go anywhere other than work?

Many of them live in huge homes. None of them are short of money. You can get everything delivered.

Your career and earnings depends on being healthy. How hard can it be?

We all just did it from March to June. So why can't teams (or the NFL) say to their players and staff that we don't want you or your household going out anywhere other than for a run or hike etc while distancing. No parties. No family visits. No play dates. No restaurants etc etc And if you can't do that then opt out.

The whole of the UK just did that for nothing. I could certainly do it for between $1m and $30m salary for 5 months.

If everyone in the league followed some very basic rules the risks would be practically zero.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I honestly don't get it though. How hard is it for a professional sportsman to just stay at home for a few months and not go anywhere other than work?

Many of them live in huge homes. None of them are short of money. You can get everything delivered.

We all just did it from March to June. So why can't teams (or the NFL) say to their players and staff that we don't want you or your household going out anywhere other than for a run or hike etc while distancing. No parties. No family visits. No play dates. No restaurants etc etc And if you can't do that then opt out.

The whole of the UK just did that for nothing. I could certainly do it for between $1m and $30m salary for 5 months.

If everyone in the league followed some very basic rules the risks would be practically zero.

Careful as they may be, one may still have physical interactions there are not optimally controlled.

I note that invariably when they announce an outbreak there is always someone in the support staff who must also quarantine.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You have never met an entitled American Athlete. Their entire life they have been put on a pedestal. There are those who think they are invincible and untouchable because of this treatment. Not all are like this but it only takes a few to screw it up for everyone else. Ask the Florida Marlins about that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have never met an entitled American Athlete. Their entire life they have been put on a pedestal. There are those who think they are invincible and untouchable because of this treatment. Not all are like this but it only takes a few to screw it up for everyone else. Ask the Florida Marlins about that.

True, I know there are some real D bags in the sports world but at the end of the day if you f up your infecting your team. This is a team thing.

I know if you put these kind of rules in there will be people that break them but with tht threat of fines or getting cut it should be minimal.

It needs to be done anyway just to try cut down on risk. I don't see of they can go into the season without strict rules on what they can and can't do.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We’ve always had 20 player rosters. Eliminates the luck of the waiver wire.

I like that, I use FAAB too, so you better go hard for the guy you want. makes a good war and allows you to get the people needed. Everyone gets 200 Free Agent dollars

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And no, there's no guarantee that they will be over in 6 weeks. But there is a very high probability it will be drastically lower considering that the average fall from peak infections over 6 weeks is 75%.

California peaked with 12k cases about a week ago. In 6 weeks time they will have around 3000 tops if they follow the trend.

Florida peaked with 15k cases on July 12th. They are already down around 9k. In 6 weeks they will be around 2k tops.

Some data to back this up

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jim McBride
@globejimmcbride
· 2h
New: Wide receiver Marqise Lee is planning to opt out of the 2020 season, per league source. He is the seventh #Patriots player to make this choice.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Vets should opt out

I think these young guys are going to want to play though

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

You mean entitled American...period. That’s why we are in this mess.

And there will not be a NFL season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean entitled American...period. That’s why we are in this mess.

And there will not be a NFL season.

i think we get somewhere between 4-7 weeks of a season before it goes off the rails and gets shut down.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kim Jones
@KimJonesSports
· 57m
On Zoom, #BUF GM Brandon Beane says CB E.J. Gaines has opted out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it seems far fetched now but I think these players are going to regret it.

By mid September infections US wide will be way down. There will be enough natural immunity from Covid and other coronaviruses to stop long infection chains and keep infections and deaths at a relative constant low and there won't be a 2nd wave.

The season will go off without many player infections and guys will be sat at home thinking "man, I screwed up".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave