What Cardinal offense was the best?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top Offense:

2009 Arizona Cardinals - That offense was practically unstoppable. Warner, in my mind was at his best in his career. I do not remember a team that could go out and just embarrass teams like that offense did.

Best QB: Kurt Warner, the 1-armed, glove version, guy was locked in and close to a madman every game.

Best WR: Fitzgerald, 2008. If you are a fan that has been alive during his career and missed the playoff games he has been in, then I feel sorry for you. No one is even close. Boldin in 2005 was special, that is a season where as a Cardinals fan you watched one of the best seasons any player can have, and the rest of the NFL world was oblivious to it. I will tell you someone that is in the top 5, maybe top 3, David Boston. If we are talking 1 season, David Boston is on the list, and John Brown in 2015 is in the conversation.
+1

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I am using your post for part of my answer, because you bring a lot of questions to the table.

Best offense how so?

For 1 season, or are we talking a core group over a few seasons?

That matters because if we are talking 1 season I have different answers than if we are talking a core group. The 1970's team was together......first, before I was born, and second, was before free agency. It makes a difference.

I am going to answer this question and put my own clause that it has to be for one season.

Top Offense:

2009 Ariizona Cardinals - That offense was practically unstoppable. Warner, in my mind was at his best in his career. I do not remember a team that could go out and just embarrass teams like that offense did.

2015 Arizona Cardinals - (With a nod to the 2014 squad). I will ALWAYS think to myself. What if Tyrann Mathieu doesn't get hurt, what if Dwaste wasn't a waste. What if this team peaked later on in the season. The 2009 offense was plain deadly from anywhere. This offense was the most explosive offense I have every witnessed live.

I never saw the 1970's Cardinals live, since I was not alive. I would have to reverse engineer the team based on stats, but at a glance, give me the year Otis Anderson had the most rushing yards. The Cardinals could always pass, but I could not imagine Anderson at his peak, the dude was HUGE for a running back.

Best QB: Kurt Warner, the 1-armed, glove version, guy was locked in and close to a madman every game.

Best WR: Fitzgerald, 2008. If you are a fan that has been alive during his career and missed the playoff games he has been in, then I feel sorry for you. No one is even close. Boldin in 2005 was special, that is a season where as a Cardinals fan you watched one of the best seasons any player can have, and the rest of the NFL world was oblivious to it. I will tell you someone that is in the top 5, maybe top 3, David Boston. If we are talking 1 season, David Boston is on the list, and John Brown in 2015 is in the conversation.

Best OL: N/A

Best RB: David Johnson 2nd year was pretty special
If Tyrann didn’t get injured, we still lose against Carolina, tbh.

I feel like folks don’t realize we really didn’t have a pass-rush that year.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Palmer wasn't himself in the playoffs either. Regular season Palmer would've wiped the floor with both the Packers and Panthers. He hurt his finger a game or two before the season ended, and I think it was a mix of that injury and him pressing a bit under pressure that led to him not performing up to his best in the playoffs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer wasn't himself in the playoffs either. Regular season Palmer would've wiped the floor with both the Packers and Panthers. He hurt his finger a game or two before the season ended, and I think it was a mix of that injury and him pressing a bit under pressure that led to him not performing up to his best in the playoffs.
Regular season Palmer also had some bad games against the Rams & Steelers, so it’s far from a guarantee he would have wiped the floor against the Panthers. It’s not like it was a close 27-23 loss where you can be like “Man we would’ve won this game had not for it been Carson’s finger”. It was 49-15.

Say if Palmer & Tyrann never got hurt/injured, I guarantee we still lose. Not by that big of a margin, but still a comfortable win for the Panthers.

We had an inconsistent pass-rush(which I was worried about how would we fare in the playoffs) & the OLine was mightily overpowered all night.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One cannot really answer this question due to how the game has change with the limitations put on the defense to promote high octane passing games... the question is how do you think Hart or Lomax and company would perform now

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Coryell was easily the best offensive coach. He’d have won it all if Dollar Bill would have let the Cards spend money on defense.

Even late in his career Warner was a Hall of Fame QB. His arm wasn’t as good as his younger days in STL but nobody read defenses better or moved safeties around as effectively. He willed them to win.

Metcalf was the best offensive weapon in the league. Alex Karas named him his MVP on Monday Night Football. As a runner, receiver or return guy, nobody quick changed a game better. He was the most elusive guy I saw since Sayers and before Sanders. Anderson could wear them out but Metcalf broke their spirit.

Overall I’d take the Cardiac Cards. The defense was so bad they would score then have to score again to get the lead back. No team had more grit in the fourth quarter.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it somewhat depends on your age. A lot of folks never saw Hart or Lomax and as Jetstream said the game has changed. That said I vote for the Cardiac Cards!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Coryell was easily the best offensive coach. He’d have won it all if Dollar Bill would have let the Cards spend money on defense.

Even late in his career Warner was a Hall of Fame QB. His arm wasn’t as good as his younger days in STL but nobody read defenses better or moved safeties around as effectively. He willed them to win.

Metcalf was the best offensive weapon in the league. Alex Karas named him his MVP on Monday Night Football. As a runner, receiver or return guy, nobody quick changed a game better. He was the most elusive guy I saw since Sayers and before Sanders. Anderson could wear them out but Metcalf broke their spirit.

Overall I’d take the Cardiac Cards. The defense was so bad they would score then have to score again to get the lead back. No team had more grit in the fourth quarter.

Great post! Let's also not forget that the NFL rules of the 70's heavily favored the defense. Would love to see the Cardiac Cards play in the current era, where the rules now favor the offense. Metcalf was perhaps the most exciting player to ever wear a Cardinal uniform. I give the nod to Anderson, because Metcalf was also prone to putting the ball on the carpet. Warner has to get the nod as our best QB, but I still think Lomax may have been HOF material if not for the career ending hip injury.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You are welcomed to you opinion.

Mathieu was a game changer, best defensive player in the league. He makes a difference. So, would D-Waste, who did help the pass rush with his "Tecmo Bowl" Blitz.

Doesn't matter, we will never know.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There have been some pretty good ones going back to our Million Dollar backfield, with Christman, Trippi, Harder and Angsman/Goldberg. But next year's will be the best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved Tyrann, but....
best defensive player in the league.
lol, nah. Not even the best defender in that game. That belonged to Kuechly. Also disrespect to Von Miller as well, who had a historic postseason.

We maybe loss less, but not 1 player, that’s wasn’t even a pass-rusher, doesn’t save us from getting thrashed. Cam was on a mission.

OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I was 10 in 1974 and just started watching football. The Cardiac Cards were on TV playing the Redskins. They won me over! So fun to watch! Terry Metcalf was my favorite Cardinal of all time until...you know who came along. But Man, Metcalf was electric! Hart was just above average, great arm but couldn’t scramble or even move much in the pocket. Of course he didn’t need to move much with quite possibly the best O line ever assembled.
C Tom Banks - All Pro, looked like Grizzly Adams.
RG Conrad Dobler - “Dirtiest Player in Football” by SI, Mean/Nasty, 3x Pro Bowler
LG Bob Young - All Pro. Was In more than one Worlds Strongest Man competition, once held the worlds record for 2 man deadlift w/ his brother.
RT Dan Dierdorf - Hall of Fame
LT Roger Finnie

1975 this line only allowed Hart to be sacked 7 times in 14 games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cardcrazy

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I loved that 70s Offense, I have to give my vote to the 2008 Warner, Fitz, Boldin Offense!
There was just something about Warner with the ball In his hands that I’ve never felt with any other Cardinals QB. A Confidence that he was going to make it happen!
That playoff run was Absolutely magical!
If we had pulled off the SB victory against Pitt, my life on earth would be complete!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not going to lie, that Panthers game was one of the most cathartic experiences I've ever had as a football fan. No one picked us to even compete, and the talking heads' reactions at halftime were priceless.
The announcers were just appalled that the Cardinals were kicking their a$$. It was 33-7 midway through the 4th quarter & Moose Johnston was saying “the Panthers need to score right now if they have any thought of winning this game”.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The announcers were just appalled that the Cardinals were kicking their a$$. It was 33-7 midway through the 4th quarter & Moose Johnston was saying “the Panthers need to score right now if they have any thought of winning this game”.
It was the greatest game we ever attended until next week with @Cbus cardsfan at the NFC championship game. Hey two games in a row with CBUS and we win both. @Buckybird told you that you were the jinx....:biglaugh:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had the misfortune to be at the two Cardinals-Giants games at the Meadowlands in which the following happened:
1. Dan Dierdorf, our best OL man, went down with an injury that might have been season ending (don't remember).
2. Also there when Billy Gramatica (Sp?) did his kick celebration.