Arizona Basketball 2020-2021

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
2019-2020 is so passé. Let’s pivot to the next season.

Scholarship situation:

1. Lee

2. B-Will

3. Terry

4. J Brown

5. T Brown

6. Akinjo

7. Kriisa

8. Batcho

9. Koloko

10. Baker

11. Mathurin

12. Tibet

13. ???

From what i know, Miller is only actively recruiting one more player for 2020, and that’s the unnamed Euro big.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2019-2020 is so passé. Let’s pivot to the next season.

Scholarship situation:

1. Lee

2. B-Will

3. Terry

4. J Brown

5. T Brown

6. Akinjo

7. Kriisa

8. Batcho

9. Koloko

10. Baker

11. Mathurin

12. Tibet

13. ???

From what i know, Miller is only actively recruiting one more player for 2020, and that’s the unnamed Euro big.

The big question is who ends up being the Alpha/Go-To Guy out of that group. Looks like a bunch of solid role players but no stars. Very reminiscent of the 2009-2010 team. BTW, The Stepien has Batcho rated as the #28 European prospect and Kriisa not rated at all. I have no idea how that will translate to recruit ratings here.

Out of curiosity, is the mystery Euro big one of the following: Usman Garuba, Roko Prkacin, Ibou Badji, Azoulas Tubelis, Khalifa Diop, Alperin Sengun, Ariel Hukporti, Boris Tisma, Adria Domenech, Panagiotis Tsamis, Kriss Helmanis, Leo Menalo, Matej Bosnjak, Phillip Wheeler or Zsombor Maronka? Don't need to say which, if it is supposed to remain secret. Just trying to get an idea.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The big question is who ends up being the Alpha/Go-To Guy out of that group. Looks like a bunch of solid role players but no stars. Very reminiscent of the 2009-2010 team. BTW, The Stepien has Batcho rated as the #28 European prospect and Kriisa not rated at all. I have no idea how that will translate to recruit ratings here.

Out of curiosity, is the mystery Euro big one of the following: Usman Garuba, Roko Prkacin, Ibou Badji, Azoulas Tubelis, Khalifa Diop, Alperin Sengun, Ariel Hukporti, Boris Tisma, Adria Domenech, Panagiotis Tsamis, Kriss Helmanis, Leo Menalo, Matej Bosnjak, Phillip Wheeler or Zsombor Maronka? Don't need to say which, if it is supposed to remain secret. Just trying to get an idea.

Cant even go there. It’s being kept very tight-lipped for a very good reason

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Terry dropped and Mathurin climbed significantly. Don’t get the sense that Terry is going to be an instant contributor. We won’t know the true value of this class until the following season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Where would he go? I suppose having sat out last year he can try and use it as a medical RS year and apply for a waiver to be eligible right away but where would he go. I don't see him as remotely able to get an NBA spot, I don't even know if the G league option will be there due to the knee. I suppose he could play overseas. Or maybe he just wants to play closer to home?

Seems weird.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where would he go? I suppose having sat out last year he can try and use it as a medical RS year and apply for a waiver to be eligible right away but where would he go. I don't see him as remotely able to get an NBA spot, I don't even know if the G league option will be there due to the knee. I suppose he could play overseas. Or maybe he just wants to play closer to home?

Seems weird.

If he transfers, that should be the final nail in the Sean Miller coffin (then again, the Book/FBI fiasco should have been the final nail in his coffin)...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he transfers, that should be the final nail in the Sean Miller coffin (then again, the Book/FBI fiasco should have been the final nail in his coffin)...

Well devils advocate if he went to USC you could make the case with the virus out there he's going closer to home, Ethan Anderson is the only competition and he'd get to play with the Mobley brothers which likely means lots of exposure to scouts but, outside of going home the rest of it makes no sense, he's not even remotely ready for the NBA, you don't shoot 37 overall 31 from 3, sit out a season with a congenital knee problem and then change schools to blow up for NBA scouts. I think it's just odd but USC has been transfer U this offseason so if he were going anywhere they'd be my guess.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
He may have a hard time finding another school who’d clear him with how bad his knee is.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He may have a hard time finding another school who’d clear him with how bad his knee is.

Which is precisely why I think him transferring should signal the end of Coach Miller here, as it would signal that Brandon Williams wants out of Tucson and away from Miller at all costs. Considering how many players have fled Miller of late, combined with how many have underperformed, Miller's track record is just getting worse and worse.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Which is precisely why I think him transferring should signal the end of Coach Miller here, as it would signal that Brandon Williams wants out of Tucson and away from Miller at all costs. Considering how many players have fled Miller of late, combined with how many have underperformed, Miller's track record is just getting worse and worse.

Not true. Him leaving would have nothing to do with Miller. Williams hasn’t even been cleared to play by the team doctors. Plus, he technically submitted a medical retirement last season, which means he’d have to jump through hoops to come back. If he returns to the court, it’d either be somewhere that pays him a salary or a lower-tier program. Knowing what I know about his injury, I’d be shocked if he could make it through a season as a productive player. If I’m Williams, I go the Ray Smith route and get a free education

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FWIW someone I know from elsewhere said the word in LA is Brandon is medically retiring from Arizona but is looking at possible pro options which I assume means overseas somewhere.

Don't know why he needs to medically retire unless it in some way frees up a scholarship for Miller?

No idea if true.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wish him well but he’s got no cartilage in his bad knee and the backcourt is full. It really sucks because his commitment was huge at the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. Him leaving would have nothing to do with Miller. Williams hasn’t even been cleared to play by the team doctors. Plus, he technically submitted a medical retirement last season, which means he’d have to jump through hoops to come back. If he returns to the court, it’d either be somewhere that pays him a salary or a lower-tier program. Knowing what I know about his injury, I’d be shocked if he could make it through a season as a productive player. If I’m Williams, I go the Ray Smith route and get a free education

as I just posted apparently that medical retirement is now related to him going pro.

I'm assuming that means it somehow frees up a scholarship for UA but no idea if that's the case.

The odd thing was his statement that he has no idea where the rumors were coming from he wouldn't play again, they came from him medically retiring. But apparently he's made it "official" that he won't play for UA again so now people in LA think he's looking for a pro spot overseas

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish him well but he’s got no cartilage in his bad knee and the backcourt is full. It really sucks because his commitment was huge at the time.

the condition he has is apparently something with part of the bone separating away or something like that but I would imagine it's cartilage too.

We wanted him at UCLA but even during his last year of HS when he wasn't playing there were rumors the knee wasn't healing and that's why they were being somewhat secretive about what he'd actually done to it.

I hope he does the right thing it's not an easy decision, if he stays in school he reduces his potential pro career overseas. If he goes overseas and gets further injured, he might regret not just staying in school.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
as I just posted apparently that medical retirement is now related to him going pro.

I'm assuming that means it somehow frees up a scholarship for UA but no idea if that's the case.

The odd thing was his statement that he has no idea where the rumors were coming from he wouldn't play again, they came from him medically retiring. But apparently he's made it "official" that he won't play for UA again so now people in LA think he's looking for a pro spot overseas

YEah it frees up a scholarship.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEah it frees up a scholarship.

I wish the kid luck seemed to be a good kid hate to see people get hurt.

Very tough call if he has any chance at all of getting paid overseas you can see why he'd want to do it now while still young, get the money while he can and then come back and go to school.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Azuolas is Athe secret euro i was referencing and he has a chance to be the best recruit this season

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Azuolas is Athe secret euro i was referencing and he has a chance to be the best recruit this season

So it WAS one of the names I listed. Good on you to keep it secret. I am excited by this prospect.

With us also taking his brother, does that mean Brandon Williams is gone?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose