Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Call it what you like. Make it simple, Hicks and Campbell will get the majority of snaps at inside linebacker. Simmons will only see linebacker in nickel as a nickel backer / slot safety.
Ive been clear what I would like to bet 100 dollars on. I never mentioned Hick or Campbell and dont give a rats ass about them in this context.

This is pretty simple dude: I bet Simmons registers more snaps at linebacker than safety next season.

Do you accept that bet? yes or no?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ive been clear what I would like to bet 100 dollars on. I never mentioned Hick or Campbell and dont give a rats ass about them in this context.

This is pretty simple dude: I bet Simmons registers more snaps at linebacker than safety next season.

Do you accept that bet? yes or no?

Why do you think I mentioned Hick and Campbell? If they are at linebacker then Simmons isn't.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I can see him playing SS on short yardage. I can also see him at ILB or OLB in nickel to cover or rush the passer. None of this is a problem.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Jalen wasn't completely trash in an otherwise complete trash defense. That's it.

There was nothing special about him whatsoever. He made a few nice plays, made more bad ones. He was fine for a 5th round rookie. That's it.
'Trash' really? He was growing as a rookie and it showed to at least me. This is like going on Youtube and seeing every sports commentary with words like 'stunned' and 'shocked' next to every article with the way people now are using hyperbole which I will say you are guilty of here and not your actual perception of worth. Look, except for maybe running back, all rookies have a maturation period and we need some patience. I have been guilty of this looking at our WRs

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He isn't going to "have a label" on defense. He may line up at LB and still cover a TE, he may line up at safety and still cover a TE. He may line up at LB and spy the QB, he may line up at safety and spy the QB.

Your assessment is so rigid that just because he lines up at LB, he can't cover a TE?

Professional defenses shift and disguise things so much that it really doesn't matter where a player lines up.

Hell IS could line up as a DE and drop back and cover a TE. Or a DT and drop back and spy a QB. Not saying they would do that, but with his flexibility they may be able to do stunts like that. (And yes I was exaggerating on him being on the D-Line, but hopefully you get the point.)
That's how I see it. (Trying to cubbyhole Simmons into a fixed position on any given down may turn out to be an excercise in futility. His main attribute may turn out to be the amount of time an opposing team spends to prepare for him and the amount of attention offensive personnel spend on each down to account for him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He isn't going to "have a label" on defense. He may line up at LB and still cover a TE, he may line up at safety and still cover a TE. He may line up at LB and spy the QB, he may line up at safety and spy the QB.

Your assessment is so rigid that just because he lines up at LB, he can't cover a TE?

Professional defenses shift and disguise things so much that it really doesn't matter where a player lines up.

Hell IS could line up as a DE and drop back and cover a TE. Or a DT and drop back and spy a QB. Not saying they would do that, but with his flexibility they may be able to do stunts like that. (And yes I was exaggerating on him being on the D-Line, but hopefully you get the point.)
That's how I see it. (Trying to cubbyhole Simmons into a fixed position on any given down may turn out to be an excercise in futility. His main attribute may turn out to be the amount of time an opposing team spends to prepare for him and the amount of attention offensive personnel spend on each down to account for him.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just going to leave this here. Considering all the grief I got at the time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Darren Urban
@Cardschatter

#AZCardinals DC Vance Joseph said Isaiah Simmons will be a linebacker, but bigger picture he will be a "problem-solver" for the defense. He will be moved around. Joseph said he expects Simmons to have a similar role in Arizona that he had at Clemson.
I am really curious what sort of problems Vance is planning on Simmons solving?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think Simmons can and as I wrote after the game, play safety. However, I don’t rule out using him at any LB spot. He was so effective in college because he could do different things against different offensive sets & opponents’ strength. There’s more room for error at safety as long as you know who’s your responsibility on passing plays.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Simmons can and as I wrote after the game, play safety. However, I don’t rule out using him at any LB spot. He was so effective in college because he could do different things against different offensive sets & opponents’ strength. There’s more room for error at safety as long as you know who’s your responsibility on passing plays.

And thats the problem. Linebacker is mentally the most difficult position on the defense and you only learn to process everything you need with snaps. Snaps the Simmons doesn't have.

People keep saying PFF says he played 400 snaps at inside linebacker in college". So what? That's 5 college games total. And he didn't play inside linebacker on those snaps, it was WLB/Nickel backer role where he had a simple assignment, Cover the slot or spy the QB.

Actual down at the LOS inside linebacker he has a handful of snaps.

Unless people want Simmons on the sidelines in base the best position for him is a hybrid of SS in base, Nickel backer/slot in Nickel. Jalen gets is snaps at SS in Nickel. In my opinion.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Just going to leave this here. Considering all the grief I got at the time.
Pull the reigns back & slow down your horse there Brit. :mrgreen:

It’s year 1, with no TC or offseason for the kid! It’s waaaaaay to earlier to say what the kid can/can’t play at the NFL level going into week 4 of his career or saying he’s a better SS imo. Especially when he’s rarely getting any snaps & has a suspect DC running the defense.

Imo I saw enough of him playing LB at Clemson to think he can play there & at a high level. I still believe he will be a star at LB, but only time will tell.

Btw where’s the Andy Isabella can’t play crowd now? Lol. Just like I said after week 1, he could make plays if the Cards actually put him in the lineup & use him. I say the same about Simmons. Put the kid in for more snaps! Spot #58 more snaps on 3rd downs to get him time. There’s no way he’s going to learn & get better riding the pine. :thewave:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry Budda. Love your attitude and response to stuff like this...but the true truth of the film shows you just aren't that great in coverage. Plenty of coordinators already know this.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pull the reigns back & slow down your horse there Brit. :mrgreen:

It’s year 1, with no TC or offseason for the kid! It’s waaaaaay to earlier to say what the kid can/can’t play at the NFL level going into week 4 of his career or saying he’s a better SS imo. Especially when he’s rarely getting any snaps & has a suspect DC running the defense.

Imo I saw enough of him playing LB at Clemson to think he can play there & at a high level. I still believe he will be a star at LB, but only time will tell.

Btw where’s the Andy Isabella can’t play crowd now? Lol. Just like I said after week 1, he could make plays if the Cards actually put him in the lineup & use him. I say the same about Simmons. Put the kid in for more snaps! Spot #58 more snaps on 3rd downs to get him time. There’s no way he’s going to learn & get better riding the pine. :thewave:

If you read this thread there were many saying that Simmons was going to be ILB over Campbell.

Despite the title what I said was that he should be SS in base and nickel linebacker in, erm, nickel, and that he wasn't an ILB.

That's still what I think. The intention seems to be to just use him as a Nickel backer so he'd only see 60% of snaps. That's not enough for someone with his talent.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just want to see him play. More than 8 or 10 plays a game. I don't care where. Turn him loose.

So if he gives up another 80 yard play or two you won't be in here whining about how he is a bust?

Because you can't have it both ways. Either you play him and accept the stupid mistakes he is bound to make, or we give him more practice snaps and get him comfortable and ease him in to use.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if he gives up another 80 yard play or two you won't be in here whining about how he is a bust?

Because you can't have it both ways. Either you play him and accept the stupid mistakes he is bound to make, or we give him more practice snaps and get him comfortable and ease him in to use.

I'm OK with it.

Not sure why we have to make his life tough early on.

Vance seems to be giving him roles where he has to run a bunch of if/or scenarios. Such as if RB leaks out then A if not then go to B. If not B then C. Rather than just let him play and give him simple tasks to start.

Such as cover a tight end on X and 10. Or safety blitz on 3rd down. And so on.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard