Board Games

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think they have TAbletop Simulator in VR now. I heard it's pretty cool. I will have to try some of the others. I know my daughter couldn't get enough of Uno on the console. Her and her friends would play all the time. I might give Tabletop a go.
It's an app, obviously, but completely online. Just set up a server and you can have a dozen people play a board game. And it works pretty good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing Risk online for 15 years. It's actually better online than on a board. Hundreds of maps and several other options. The best option is "fog", which means you only have the ability to see the troop count of your opponent's territories that you border. There's a lot more strategy involved when you're not sure what size army is lurking around the corner.

Are you playing Risk, or Conquer Club?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they have TAbletop Simulator in VR now. I heard it's pretty cool. I will have to try some of the others. I know my daughter couldn't get enough of Uno on the console. Her and her friends would play all the time. I might give Tabletop a go.

Uno was one of the very few games I thought was good on the 360/One. Most of the other games I have played, Carcassone, Catan, Pandemic etc don't seem to be very good. Although I admit I don't know Pandemic well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm playing the CRAP out of Tabletop Simulator right now. There are people out there creating exact replicas of actual board games. And you can download them for free. Get a couple friends that have the software as well (its' about $20 and worth it), and you can have full blown game nights with traditional board games.

Just on that computer software alone I've played;

Horrified - Solo
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Legendary Encounters: X-Files Solo
Nemesis
Santorini
Gloomhaven
Firefly the Game
Spirit Island
Unfair

And a few others.

Takes a little getting used to re: the controls, but it's worth it. There are even mods of board games that you can't get physically. For example, there a bunch of mods for Disney's Villainous, including one that has Star Wars villains.

How easy is it to learn how to play new games on tabletop if you have never played them before? Do they have online options?

Last edited:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
We've been playing weekly on www.boardgamearena.com and linking up video and audio on Streamyard (though BoardgameArena has video/audio if all players have premium accounts). BoardgameArena is pretty good with Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Kingdomino and some other classics and we've discovered a few new games as well.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How easy is it to learn how to play new games on tabletop if you have never played them before? Do they have online options?
Well, think of it just like buying a game you've never played. Most of the mods include the rule book inside the mod itself. But you can also look up the rule book online. It's also recommended to watch the multitude of Youtube videos out there about how to play these games. And really, there's at least one of those videos for every game. I've yet to see any game that doesn't have it. Here are a few screenshots of my workshop and a shot of what Gloomhaven looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, that's pretty cool.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I’m a total board game geek and have more than 500. I’m also at Gen con this weekend in Indianapolis. It’s bat**** crazy here.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I got Box One, the puzzle game by Neil Patrick Harris. It's supposed to be for a single player, but there's no reason you can't do it as a small team. The beginning is trivial and makes you think, "I paid $30 for this?" But then a new world opens up and you get a more accurate sense of what you're up against. I'm not far enough in to know how durable the challenges will be, but it's off to a promising start.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I'm going to back go GenCon in August -- now that I have such a massive collection.

Recently played HEAT: Pedal to the Metal and it was fantastic. Right now, it's pretty much the #1 board game released in the last year. This industry just keeps growing and growing. Very cool.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Drinking and board games? Man, I need some friends.....

I will have to look into some of these. I couldn't get into Carcassonne.
My experience with drinking and board games, is the percentage of the boards being flipped in anger rises with the more drinks that are had!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
My experience with drinking and board games, is the percentage of the boards being flipped in anger rises with the more drinks that are had!
At which point you can have an over/under bet!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Chaplin your room for your board games in incredible. Are there any precautions you have to take like keeping the room temp at a certain level or anything to preserve the games as much as possible? Obviously extreme heat would not be good on the materials, but I didn't know if there was an optimum temp or anything like that.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey @Chaplin your room for your board games in incredible. Are there any precautions you have to take like keeping the room temp at a certain level or anything to preserve the games as much as possible? Obviously extreme heat would not be good on the materials, but I didn't know if there was an optimum temp or anything like that.
No, but that room doesn't get too hot anyway. It's actually really nice, especially with the A/C running.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, think of it just like buying a game you've never played. Most of the mods include the rule book inside the mod itself. But you can also look up the rule book online. It's also recommended to watch the multitude of Youtube videos out there about how to play these games. And really, there's at least one of those videos for every game. I've yet to see any game that doesn't have it. Here are a few screenshots of my workshop and a shot of what Gloomhaven looks like:

Is there a Discord community for this game to find players to play with? I didn't end up getting it because I still have nobody to play with. lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose