Why This Draft ........

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...... will be so much fun, at least for me. Consider:
Maybe because there are no sports to watch, I seem to be reading more about this Draft than in prior years, without the Draft Magazines. And here are some of the reasons I'm looking forward to April 23rd.
1. First and foremost I have no idea (or possibly too many ideas) who the Cardinals will select.
2. The order that the top four OT's come off the board. And I guess it's possible that posters will say that just because so and so came off the board first, doesn't mean he's the best, it just means that he fit the team's scheme. For me it means more than that.
3. Will five WR's go in the First and in what order. Found it interesting that Tua, at his virtual Pro Day used Jeudy and not Ruggs to catch passes. Might mean nothing or something.
4. Burrow is a lock to be the first QB drafted, but the questions concern Tua vs. Hebert and Hebert vs. Love.
5. Surprise guy (or guys who make the 1st round) and the ones who fall out of it
6. Number of trades and how that number compares to recent drafts.
7. And, lastly, what will a virtual draft look like.

I'm excited, even more than usual.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was so excited to see this draft. Was going to take my boy to Vegas to see it live.

I'm still excited for the draft but totally disappointed that I wasn't able to knock another thing off my bucket list.
I wonder if vegas will get draft next yr since virus snubbed them this yr

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly a number of teams want to push the NBA Draft back to August 1st.

So need the NFL Draft to bring some excitement into our lives.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We'll have to consider DeAndre Hopkins part of this draft. Our first rounder will have to contribute right away, everyone else is gonna have to work to make the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing that will really bother me is if we choose a WR at #8. Trading down is another matter.

I will be happy with any one of Simmons, Brown, Okudah, Wills, Mechton (in that order). Not so intrigued with Wiirfs. He would be "meh". One or more of those players will be on the board at #8.

I will be elated if one of Simmons or Brown fall to us. Simmons would be the heart of this defense for a decade. Brown is a run stopper and disrupter that will make everyone on the entire defense look better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One response and two questions:
We could use a WR, just in case the Hopkins trade falls through.

Will the first round of this year's draft take about the same amount of time as the first round of recent drafts?

Since there have been far fewer in person workouts, will the UDFA's be better (on the whole) than those of the past?

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After reading tons of material about the Draft, I now feel that we'll have a pretty good idea of what the Cardinals will do in the Draft, after the Giants pick. Consider:
1. Giants pick one of the two guys we are targeting, Simmons or Brown. That tells me that we will trade back to the mid-first and pick Kinlaw or Henderson.
2. Giants address their major need (OL) and this almost guarantees that either Brown or Simmons will be available at #8. Only assumption is that three QB's go in the top seven.

Bottom line, at #8 we'll only select Brown or Simmons. If they are gone we trade back. If we can't get a trade partner and HAVE to pick at #8, we'll take an OT, and that would be Thomas.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
After reading tons of material about the Draft, I now feel that we'll have a pretty good idea of what the Cardinals will do in the Draft, after the Giants pick. Consider:
1. Giants pick one of the two guys we are targeting, Simmons or Brown. That tells me that we will trade back to the mid-first and pick Kinlaw or Henderson.
2. Giants address their major need (OL) and this almost guarantees that either Brown or Simmons will be available at #8. Only assumption is that three QB's go in the top seven.

Bottom line, at #8 we'll only select Brown or Simmons. If they are gone we trade back. If we can't get a trade partner and HAVE to pick at #8, we'll take an OT, and that would be Thomas.

Agree 100% with this projection

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If CeeDee and Simmons are gone, I have no problem trading down and picking Kinlaw.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A day before the Draft and this (bad) thought hit me. Consider:
*Every year the Draft is described as a crap shoot and all first round picks don't pan out. And not just for the Cardinals.
*And as we know this year will be different as teams have not been able to do their usual due diligence. That might mean more misses than hits, from a logic point of view.
*So I'm wondering if we trade back would it be better to get one second or two thirds? Ordinarily I'd say the second, but this year I'd go with the extra pick. You might strike out but that extra At Bat might result in a HR.

What do you think?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
...... will be so much fun, at least for me. Consider:
Maybe because there are no sports to watch, I seem to be reading more about this Draft than in prior years, without the Draft Magazines. And here are some of the reasons I'm looking forward to April 23rd.
1. First and foremost I have no idea (or possibly too many ideas) who the Cardinals will select.
2. The order that the top four OT's come off the board. And I guess it's possible that posters will say that just because so and so came off the board first, doesn't mean he's the best, it just means that he fit the team's scheme. For me it means more than that.
3. Will five WR's go in the First and in what order. Found it interesting that Tua, at his virtual Pro Day used Jeudy and not Ruggs to catch passes. Might mean nothing or something.
4. Burrow is a lock to be the first QB drafted, but the questions concern Tua vs. Hebert and Hebert vs. Love.
5. Surprise guy (or guys who make the 1st round) and the ones who fall out of it

I'm excited, even more than usual.
One thing guaranteed: This draft will break viewership records...no doubt about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Always surprises in the 1st.

Actually think there will be less trades than people think. But it's also more likely that we will be involved in at least one. This will be w very interesting draft for us.

I think the virtual will be unique, but lack something of the crowd element while the players are coming out. It will be a little bit dry. The anylists will have to dig a little deeper. But maybe it'll move along quicker, but I would'nt hold my breath on it.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we trade back, I think we'll draft a CB with one of our first three picks. And if we don't trade back, I think we'll go CB at pick #72. Just think we're too thin at the position, considering that Alford was injured and didn't play. last season.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
(ominous music playing)

"D" Day

Draft Day Has Begun
But Soon Will End
Can't Wait To See
Who The FB gods Send

Some Fans Will Yell
And Some Will Scream
Just Hope I Get
A Chance To Dream

Some Will Say Lose
And Some Will Say Win
Soon After We Hear
The Pick Is In

It's Daylight Now
But Soon Will Be Night
And All I Know
Our Future Is Bright*

*Hopefully brighter than the guy who wrote this.

(Orchestra Plays Battle Hymn Of The Republic)

Fade to Black.