Taking CeeDee Lamb the argument to take a wide receiver

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@BritCard

Serious question...

If you knew that any OT we picked would end up being no better than Humphries and Lamb would become DeAndre Hopkins...who would you pick at #8?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@BritCard

Serious question...

If you knew that any OT we picked would end up being no better than Humphries and Lamb would become DeAndre Hopkins...who would you pick at #8?

Facts you never draft for need. Fitz is gone soon and Kirk isnt playing full seasons, the Rooks were a Wiff.

A Work out Warrior RT, that will probably stick at Guard, vs having a possible Hopkins 2.0, who already has QB chemistry and know the system. It's a no brainer.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Facts you never draft for need. Fitz is gone soon and Kirk isnt playing full seasons, the Rooks were a Wiff.

A Work out Warrior RT, that will probably stick at Guard, vs having a possible Hopkins 2.0, who already has QB chemistry and know the system. It's a no brainer.
Lol, stop saying this like Lamb is unquestionably BPA over Wills & Wirfs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@BritCard

Serious question...

Still not Lamb.

Look, our 1st round pick is our best shot at getting a quality player to improve the weak areas of our team. Which are many.

WR is now not a weak area. Nuk is here for at least 4 more years.

We only have 5 picks and a big gap between 8 and 72. I'm not taking a WR anywhere.

WRs are important, but not very important. Chiefs won the SB without a single 1000 yard receiver. The Pats the year before won the SB with thier top receiver having 850 yards. Eagles won the SB without a single 1000 yard receiver, barely a good receiver.

That's the last 3 SB winners.

Even the year before that the Pats won it with

Edelman 1,106 yards
Bennett 701 yards
Hogan 680 yards

That's thier top 3 receivers for that year.

The idea you need two elite WRs just doesn't hold water. The evidence isn't there that it's required. The trio we have right now is more than enough. The rest of the team however is not.

There's far more evidence that a TE that can get us 600-700 yards would make much more of an impact.

And if Fitz retires next year, which I doubt, there are already several very good WRs in that class.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you won’t find anyone that says that. A lot of places I’ve looked at has the receivers falling out of the top ten

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still not Lamb.

Look, our 1st round pick is our best shot at getting a quality player to improve the weak areas of our team. Which are many.

We only have 5 picks and a big gap between 8 and 72. I'm not taking a WR anywhere.

WRs are important, but not very important. Chiefs won the SB without a single 1000 yard receiver. The Pats the year before won the SB with thier top receiver having 850 yards. Eagles won the SB without a single 1000 yard receiver, barely a good receiver.

Edelman 1,106 yards
Bennett 701 yards
Hogan 680 yards

The idea you need two elite WRs just doesn't hold water. The evidence isn't there that it's required. The trio we have right now is more than enough. The rest of the team however is not.

There's far more evidence that a TE that can get us 600-700 yards would make much more of an impact.

And if Fitz retires next year, which I doubt, there are already several very good WRs in that class.

It’s a completely dependent position.

what do Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Megatron, AJ Green, Randy Moss, TO all have in common besides going to the hall of fame?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a completely dependent position.

what do Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Megatron, AJ Green, Randy Moss, TO all have in common besides going to the hall of fame?

All that proves is you need a WR1. Which we have.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Fair points. I should clarify my points are not aimed at you specifically. More the larger pro Lamb crowd.

One of by biggest issues with this whole thing is the Lamb fanaticism. If it was more a WR angle including Jeudy and Ruggs there might be some merit, not much but more.

There seems to be because Lamb caught 65 passes from Kyler they have to be reunited. Even though Jeudy is much more widely ranked WR1 and both he a Ruggs are better fits now we have Nuk.

My bad, I hear you and others in their concern as to why taking a WR isnt your preferred choice.

I agree with you on distinguishing the WRs vs just taking Lamb. I love watching Jeudy all together and think hes going to be really good. I do tend to lean a bit towards Harry though, as he has laid out some solid reasons to favor Lamb.

Ultimately, im not sure which guy would be better, but getting a YAC guy who can make contested catches and Kyler already has rapport with sure sounds good to me, and would seem to provide more of an immediate impact.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Unless we have access to the Cardinal's board and know the gap between players in their eyes, we are just going to keep arguing what to do according to personal opinion or media pundits which is cool because that's what a forum affords us as fans. We all know this, so we have basically two types of posters, those who say screw it without listing a caveat for their selections since that becomes a pain in the arse every time you post and those who still feel a need to do so to validate their position. Then you combine both groups, which is basically one group reminding the other to go through the routine of why, which then really ticks off the other because they had done it once and see no point in doing it again without a troublesome explanation of why they are not explaining anymore in the first place. I personally think we should do a poll which would list all us posters as potential drafters and who the Cardinals would select at eight to do the job matching the posters point of view to the respective teams lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no it proves the exact opposite. All those big money WR and not one championship between them.

WR isn’t need to win

Fair point and as I said above. The last 4 SB winners had 1 receiver over 1000 yards.

The idea you needs Nuk and Lamb is nonsense that's disproved every year in the stats.

Its a shame the TE class sucks this year. A stud receiving TE would be much more useful.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not Lamb.

Edelman 1,106 yards
Bennett 701 yards
Hogan 680 yards

I don't know how you can compare the Cardinals offense to any other offense in the league. What KK is trying to do here is totally different from the Patriots of the NFL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@BritCard

Serious question...

Still not Lamb.

You didn't answer the question directly. I am not arguing about the strength/weakness of our position groups right now.

Ok...let's take the proper nouns of draftees out of it.

If you knew that any OT we picked would end up being no better than Humphries and a WR would become DeAndre Hopkins...which one would you pick at #8?

I am not pro-WR...you can go back and check it out in previous posts. This is a legit question.

Think about drafting another Humphries vs another Hopkins. Which is it?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Aiyuk reportedly underwent core-muscle surgery. He may go somewhere between rounds 1-3.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo

Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk, a possible first-round pick, underwent a core-muscle surgery today performed by noted surgeon William Meyers, sources say. Aiyuk has been dealing with the issue the last few months. Ran 4.50 at the Combine. Decided to fix now with no OTAs in sight.

8:05 AM - 7 Apr 2020

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Drafting purely for need is a bad idea. However, talent and need can overlap, just like the situation is with any of the defenders or an OT.

You didn't answer the question directly. I am not arguing about the strength/weakness of our position groups right now.

Ok...let's take the proper nouns of draftees out of it.

If you knew that any OT we picked would end up being no better than Humphries and a WR would become DeAndre Hopkins...which one would you pick at #8?

I am not pro-WR...you can go back and check it out in previous posts. This is a legit question.

Think about drafting another Humphries vs another Hopkins. Which is it?
I'm not him, but of course the answer is you'd take the elite player in Hopkins. However, there's absolutely no guarantee about this. Would you rather have DJ Humphries or Kevin White?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If having 3 great WR would come up with the rule of 3 of the D, then hell yes draftng the WR is the only way to go. But there is not such a rule or stat backing that up so. Not pro on this side.

For how you draft, if you are sure that lamb,Juedy or Ruggs are way better proscpect then all the OT and no D Stud is there, you go with the WR.

Else, I would like to have 3 great Passrusher and a stoud run D so that we could apply the rule of three great Passrusher and go deep into the playoffs or win a SB. It worked once for the Bears in the later years, but not so much last year.

As I mentioned in an other thread, this years draft with little to no workouts and so, drafting "commodities" that you know better could be a result, so Lamb is sure a possible pick at #8. But indeed I don't see Jeudy or Ruggs be there.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Lol hes the top of an elite class of WRS, these Tackles all come with question Mark's, this is a weak class of linemen, out of 4 they are all 4 question Mark's, I study the draft year round a workout wonder is Wirf, Lamb is a beast and know Murray and the system.

Is you were drafting Rosen still be QB hahahahha

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Drafting purely for need is a bad idea. However, talent and need can overlap, just like the situation is with any of the defenders or an OT.

I'm not him, but of course the answer is you'd take the elite player in Hopkins. However, there's absolutely no guarantee about this. Would you rather have DJ Humphries or Kevin White?

If you were drafting Rosen would be QB hahahahhahahahha, sorry not with ya on that

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just only want a WR cause the Nuk trade isn’t officially done yet. As long as we aren’t reaching either. I rather trade back a few spots if we can and snag up Ruggs. If that Nuk trade goes through after the draft then thats just icing on the cake.

Sorry we all know what its like to be a Cardinals fan. The ball never bounce our way. So in my mind the Nuk trade will never happen.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I dont know I think we have Hopkins and ? At this point to put us in the top 5 in the league is a strech personally feel that we may not even be in the top 3 in the NFC west most WR groups are ranked high based on the 2 top guys. I like the two top guys for the Rams 49ers and maybe even the Seahawks better than what we have, but I think Hopkins is the best number 1 of any of those teams so that evens it out in my mind. Falcons Bill's Cheifs Bucs Browns Rams Chargers off the top of my head I would rank higher. I want to draft the trenches but I'm not willing to say its because we are a top 5 unit at WR we just have to many questions that need to be answered seems like the guys who dont want to draft WR are way overvaluing Fitz at this point in his career JMO

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lol all of that boils down to Hopkins, old man Fitz, and everybody else. Do you want to win with Kyler or not? Lamb is BPA.

Is Kyler so limited that he needs the GSOT around him? If he’s transcendent as someone like Lamar Jackson then we should build our offense like Baltimore from the inside out.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Is Kyler so limited that he needs the GSOT around him? If he’s transcendent as someone like Lamar Jackson then we should build our offense like Baltimore from the inside out.
Kyler does and will rely much more heavily on his arm than LJ does. Therefor his receiving core will be much more important to him than LJ's and the run blocking ability of the line will be less important for KM.