Taking CeeDee Lamb the argument to take a wide receiver

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Add Lamb and give Fitzgerald the TE tree and it's done. He's big and strong enough and would have the best hands in history.

I don’t know the chess game of football as much so forgive me if I sound clueless. Fitz can block well against DBs but how would he do taking on LBs? I just can’t see him taking on a LB in pass protection or in a run situation. If he is playing TE I could only see him in obvious pass situations. I don’t know the X and Os as well so if I sound like an idiot just tell me to screw off.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's put it this way, there is no amount of stats you can produce which tells me you are not better off with a stacked WR group or a stacked running back corps. You cannot tell me your offense is not better off

It's stacked now. That's the point. Certainly stacked enough to win a SB.

If only the rest of the roster was.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JG, I love ya, but how can you just deny stats and clear examples of it not working?

Because the Rams won the SB once 20 years ago with stacked receivers. Just ignore all the other SB winning teams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There is an argument for taking a wr and it involves a guy pushing Larry to number three on the depth chart and having an experienced replacement available when Larry retires
How good an argument it is all depends on exactly how good these kids in the draft really are

At #8 we deserve an all pro
We at least need a pro bowler
Doesn’t really matter what position

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There is an argument for taking a wr and it involves a guy pushing Larry to number three on the depth chart and having an experienced replacement available when Larry retires
How good an argument it is all depends on exactly how good these kids in the draft really are

At #8 we deserve an all pro
We at least need a pro bowler
Doesn’t really matter what position
The argument of pushing Larry to the bench and having someone ready when he retires is like putting money in your rainy day jar when you're $5,000 in debt.

Even if your best guess is that one of the WRs is going to end up in the Pro Bowl, he'd better only be the pick because you think everyone else on the board has no shot. We have readily apparent urgent needs that just so happen to coincide with top consensus players in the draft.

I haven't been a big Okudah advocate, but at least I can see that two of our CBs are getting up there in age and there isn't much youth to account for the future.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The argument of pushing Larry to the bench and having someone ready when he retires is like putting money in your rainy day jar when you're $5,000 in debt.

Even if your best guess is that one of the WRs is going to end up in the Pro Bowl, he'd better only be the pick because you think everyone else on the board has no shot. We have readily apparent urgent needs that just so happen to coincide with top consensus players in the draft.

I haven't been a big Okudah advocate, but at least I can see that two of our CBs are getting up there in age and there isn't much youth to account for the future.

yeah there is a lot of consensus on this player or that

but honestly I just ain’t feeling it

I am all about the trenches but I ain’t certain there is a trench guy worthy of a top ten pick outside of Young
Just because we have four top tackles doesn’t mean they ain’t all late first round talents
I want us to get a guy worthy of 8
Not just because we picked him there but because he would go top ten in any draft you dropped him in

I just ain’t so sure this draft is 8 guys deep when it comes to star power

with that in mind if the guy we determine to be the star at 8 is a wr then fine
I would prefer a trench guy or okuhda but more important than position is long term result
I want a fifteen year Cardinal with eight pro bowls,.... we should be able to get that guy at 8

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah there is a lot of consensus on this player or that

but honestly I just ain’t feeling it

I am all about the trenches but I ain’t certain there is a trench guy worthy of a top ten pick outside of Young
Just because we have four top tackles doesn’t mean they ain’t all late first round talents
I want us to get a guy worthy of 8
Not just because we picked him there but because he would go top ten in any draft you dropped him in

I just ain’t so sure this draft is 8 guys deep when it comes to star power

with that in mind if the guy we determine to be the star at 8 is a wr then fine
I would prefer a trench guy or okuhda but more important than position is long term result
I want a fifteen year Cardinal with eight pro bowls,.... we should be able to get that guy at 8

First off congratulations on setting the ASFN record for using the most "ain't" in a single post. :)

Just about every expert has the 4 top OT's graded as worthy of a top ten pick. In addition every expert as stated that this is an incredibly deep WR crop so we could have a BPA that is a WR in the 3rd rd.

I'm hoping a couple of GM's in the top 7 feel the way you do and start taking WR's early and often to push a trench/front 7 player to us at 8.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know the chess game of football as much so forgive me if I sound clueless. Fitz can block well against DBs but how would he do taking on LBs? I just can’t see him taking on a LB in pass protection or in a run situation. If he is playing TE I could only see him in obvious pass situations. I don’t know the X and Os as well so if I sound like an idiot just tell me to screw off.

Smaller pass-catching T-ends tend to chip and move; and, yes, it would be in seemingly obvious passing situations.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Smaller pass-catching T-ends tend to chip and move; and, yes, it would be in seemingly obvious passing situations.

I just can’t see him being a situational guy. That seems like a lot of money committed to a guy that will be in for just that situation. Either way I will watch and enjoy the game.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just can’t see him being a situational guy. That seems like a lot of money committed to a guy that will be in for just that situation. Either way I will watch and enjoy the game.

He wouldn't be a situational guy. The Tend tree would be additional in this hypothesis.

Reaction score
First off congratulations on setting the ASFN record for using the most "ain't" in a single post. :)

Just about every expert has the 4 top OT's graded as worthy of a top ten pick. In addition every expert as stated that this is an incredibly deep WR crop so we could have a BPA that is a WR in the 3rd rd.

I'm hoping a couple of GM's in the top 7 feel the way you do and start taking WR's early and often to push a trench/front 7 player to us at 8.

Four ain't that many.

Reaction score

You don't do this now?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If you look at what our WR corps is right now, Ruggs drafted by the Cardinals would not be a bad pick even at 8 for our overall talent allocation of how they could all compliment each other. Yeah, I am looking for a defensive stud to slip to us or one of those OTs, but a Ruggs selection would not be something I would be upset about at all... still hoping a guy like Wirfs or Wills is there because I think Humphries fulfills that left tackle spot which a guy like Thomas I might want does not have that value now, we paid our decision... a future of Hopkins, Kirk and Ruggs works :raccoon:

Last edited:

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unless Simmons or Okudah is there, I would be absolutely shocked if they don’t take Lamb. I think Kingsbury knows almost certainly what he would get with him and K1 based on system familiarity and chemistry. OL is an absolute crapshoot and huge risk at 8, we need dynamic playmakers in the worst way on offense even still with Dhop. Not saying WR isn’t, but this is a very unique situation almost similar to the K1-K2 connection last year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Would be great to imagine Kyler throwing to Lamb but the Cardinals have to be considering Ruggs as a Marquis Brown (#5) type impact on the offense.

Alll TD's from Kyler in 2018:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would be great to imagine Kyler throwing to Lamb but the Cardinals have to be considering Ruggs as a Marquis Brown (#5) type impact on the offense.

Alll TD's from Kyler in 2018:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Its why I wanted the Cardinals to move up and get him last year.

Big fan of Lamar Jackson, but not sure he'll get the most out of Hollywood.

Ruggs makes sense in the Hollywood Brown (OU version at least) in this offense.

However, I still lean towards OLine. I do like all the WRs just at this moment the focus should probably be on keeping Kyler upright.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
However, I still lean towards OLine. I do like all the WRs just at this moment the focus should probably be on keeping Kyler upright.

Totally agree. I think we go OL, DL, or LB. Who and when we pick is another story.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if we took a WR though...KK/SK proved they don't really care about taking risks.
  • Fired HC after 1 year
  • Hired a college coach
  • Replaced a top 10 QB pick with another QB the next year at #1
I love all the moves and trust in the plan.

Still think there is a shot we trade Reddick to Carolina.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Totally agree. I think we go OL, DL, or LB. Who and when we pick is another story.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if we took a WR though...KK/SK proved they don't really care about taking risks.
  • Fired HC after 1 year
  • Hired a college coach
  • Replaced a top 10 QB pick with another QB the next year at #1
I love all the moves and trust in the plan.

Still think there is a shot we trade Reddick to Carolina.
Reddick for 3rd round pick? or Reddick +4th round for 2nd round pick or what?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Reddick for 3rd round pick? or Reddick +4th round for 2nd round pick or what?
Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) 3/24/20, 1:38 PM
New Panthers’ WR Robby Anderson played at Temple for Matt Rhule.
New Panthers’ QB PJ Walker played at Temple for Mart Rhule.

Hmmmm...you know who else played for Matt Rhule at Temple (for 4 years)?
Haasan Reddick

I have no idea what we could get for Reddick but Carolina does want to build their defense. I could see them drafting Brown or Kinlaw and trading for Reddick (due to his connection with Rhule). Of course I am also secretly hoping that would keep them from taking Simmons. :devil:

Reddick was a big part of the defense that helped awaken a long-dormant program under head coach Matt Rhule, who took a job at Baylor following the 2016 season.

“I love Haason,” Rhule told Doug and Wolf Friday on 98.7 FM, Arizona’s Sports Station. “He’s everything that’s right with college football. He’s tough, he’s hard-nosed. He got his degree and played so hard for us and so well for us and helped us turn this program around.

“He’s relentless. In a day and age where guys on defense don’t run to the football anymore because of all the tempo, and guys don’t play hard all the time, Haason set the standard for our defense,” Rhule said. “We were third in the country in defense and he led the way. He ran to the football, he made impact plays, he was physical.

“Even when he knew he was going to get drafted high, he was still running down on the kickoff team. He is a special, special player in terms of how hard he plays and how explosive he can be.”

“You’re really kind of getting versatility, you’re getting two players in one,” the coach said. “He’s a guy who can play off the ball and be a weakside inside linebacker and use that 4.5 speed to cover guys out of the backfield and at the same time, I think he can be a tremendous weapon blitzing. Not many running backs are going to be able to block this kid.

“And he’s a great nickel rusher. You get into the sub packages — he can put his hand in the ground and his burst and athleticism and getting up the field are elite, even at that level, so I think they’ll use him probably as a combination off-the-ball linebacker, but also knowing they have a tremendous nickel pass rusher as well.”

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose