Who should Suns target at power forward?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is the Suns need to add a power forward this summer as they need a starter.

If they should bring back Saric, I think they should add plenty of athletic depth behind him. The Suns lack of athleticism really showed at this position.

I really liked the job Bridges did at the four but it's asking a lot for him to play there on a full-time basis. Also we have yet to see how Oubre recovers from knee surgery. Bridges can always play the 2 or 3 position to provide flexibility.

If the Suns keep their draft pick I'm hoping they go big in the draft but I can't see James Jones starting a rookie power forward.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear everyone's ideas.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
See if Jonathan Isaac is on the cheap. If not just roll with the draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon, Montrezl Harrell, Derek Favors, Harry Giles, Christian Wood, Jerami Grant, Serge Ibaka (as a stop-gap if we also draft a power forward), Julius Randle or Bobby Portis. In the draft, Carey, Okongwu, Stewart, Nnaji, Achiuwa, Perry, Reed or Jalen Smith, depending on where they end up drafting and if they end up trading down. Toppin scares me in terms of lack of defense and rebounding, which are the two things I believe we need the most at the power forward position.

There is no way Saric should be starting at power forward. At most, he is an okay back-up, and even that is an iffy proposition, in my opinion.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The main thing we need to make sure that we do is make sure our starting PF is complimented by our backup PF. That was our biggest problem last year. Both Saric and Kaminsky had pretty much the same strength and weaknesses. Teams were easily able to exploit them. If we draft Toppin we need to make sure that we team him with a PF whose strengths are defense and rebounding. If we end up drafting a player like Okongwu we need to make sure to team him with a PF that can stretch the floor a bit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sickening how we could have had Fox or Isaac.

Fox, Isaac and Markanen would all have been good choices at #4 in the 2017 draft. I particularly liked Fox. To make matters worse, Bledsoe wanted to be traded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

One of my favorites as a power forward option is Jerami Grant (player option). He is young, athletic and can spread the court. Also the Suns wouldn't have to give up assets to get him. The negative, the Suns already have Oubre, Bridges, and Cam Johnson at forward who are similar.

I've always liked Montrezl Harrell (free agent) but he doesn't have the ability to spread the court. However, I would be excited if the Suns signed him. Harrell would give the Suns some immediate toughness and plays defense. He is a beast inside.

Danilo Gallinari (free agent) would fit nicely. I wish he were a bit younger (31) but the Suns could draft a power forward to develop.

I like Aaron Gordon (under contract) but he would cost the Suns assets.

Derrick Favors (free agent) is a solid option who can play tough next to Ayton and rebound. He is not a 3 point shooter though.

If the Suns choose to re-sign Saric, they will need to add depth at this position. Saric played well before the season ended prematurely.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

One of my favorites as a power forward option is Jerami Grant (player option). He is young, athletic and can spread the court. Also the Suns wouldn't have to give up assets to get him. The negative, the Suns already have Oubre, Bridges, and Cam Johnson at forward who are similar.

I've always liked Montrezl Harrell (free agent) but he doesn't have the ability to spread the court. However, I would be excited if the Suns signed him. Harrell would give the Suns some immediate toughness and plays defense. He is a beast inside.

Danilo Gallinari (free agent) would fit nicely. I wish he were a bit younger (31) but the Suns could draft a power forward to develop.

Derrick Favors (free agent) is a solid option who can play tough next to Ayton and rebound. He is not a 3 point shooter though.

If the Suns choose to re-sign Saric, they will need to add depth at this position. Saric played well before the season ended prematurely.

Saric would have to be the depth. He is nowhere near good enough to start, and as with this past season, he would largely be the reason the Suns always fall behind big in the first quarter and then have to play catch-up the rest of the game. Saric can match up with maybe half of the back-up power forwards in the NBA. As a starter, he is overmatched against every single opponent's starting power forward, oftentimes badly overmatched.

And Gallinari is way to similar to Saric and Kaminsky to be a solution at power forward, in my opinion.

Otherwise, I concur with your points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the Suns is they didn't have much athleticism behind Saric. Suns bench was woefully weak with non-athletic players at the 4/5. Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky and Jerome at guard did not provide for flexibility.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One of the Suns is they didn't have much athleticism behind Saric. Suns bench was woefully weak with non-athletic players at the 4/5. Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky and Jerome at guard did not provide for flexibility.

Not to mention they didn't have much athleticism WITH Saric.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

I would add Markkannen to your list and consider that a solid list of guys to target. Gordon, Lauri, Harrell, Favors, and Gallinari would be my order of preference. I like Gallo more than Favors but his age and cost keep me from thinking he should be more than a fall back plan. I'd offer our first for Gordon, maybe throw in Okobo or Lecque, and make it clear to Orlando that the deal expires when the phone is hung up because I think Chicago would trade Lauri for our 1st. If neither happens then we enter free agency with money to blow.

I think getting Harrell would depend on whether the playoffs happen or not. The Clippers are the team I'd say are the title favorites and if they get a title, I could see Harrell taking the money elsewhere. If there isn't a postseason though I could see him resigning cheap to chase a championship in LA next year. He's young enough that it's a small risk for a legit shot at a title. He'll get paid in a year, maybe not quite as much but he'll get an 8 figure salary.

Favors is someone I've liked forever and putting him next to Ayton might allow Ayton to play a little deeper on offense but we'd finally be one of the larger teams in the West, which would be nice to see. If Rubio thought an Ayton/Favors frontcourt would work then that would help make the decision to go after him easier also. Rubio played with him and could provide us an "in" of sorts to be a top candidate to sign him, provided we're willing to pay him. I like the idea of an Ayton, Favors, Oubre frontcourt with Booker and Rubio backcourt.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would add Markkannen to your list and consider that a solid list of guys to target. Gordon, Lauri, Harrell, Favors, and Gallinari would be my order of preference. I like Gallo more than Favors but his age and cost keep me from thinking he should be more than a fall back plan. I'd offer our first for Gordon, maybe throw in Okobo or Lecque, and make it clear to Orlando that the deal expires when the phone is hung up because I think Chicago would trade Lauri for our 1st. If neither happens then we enter free agency with money to blow.

I think getting Harrell would depend on whether the playoffs happen or not. The Clippers are the team I'd say are the title favorites and if they get a title, I could see Harrell taking the money elsewhere. If there isn't a postseason though I could see him resigning cheap to chase a championship in LA next year. He's young enough that it's a small risk for a legit shot at a title. He'll get paid in a year, maybe not quite as much but he'll get an 8 figure salary.

Favors is someone I've liked forever and putting him next to Ayton might allow Ayton to play a little deeper on offense but we'd finally be one of the larger teams in the West, which would be nice to see. If Rubio thought an Ayton/Favors frontcourt would work then that would help make the decision to go after him easier also. Rubio played with him and could provide us an "in" of sorts to be a top candidate to sign him, provided we're willing to pay him. I like the idea of an Ayton, Favors, Oubre frontcourt with Booker and Rubio backcourt.
What makes people think markenaan is available? Particularly for, why, the 10th pick in an atrocious draft?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I meant to add Markkannen to my list but inadvertently left him off. If Chicago would take a first round pick for him the Suns should do it. He is still on a very reasonable salary as well.

Harrell is due some serious money IMO. Maybe $15 million plus type money. He would have to want a championship awfully bad to stay with the Clippers.

If the Suns added Favors I'd have no problem with it as long as the Suns do not overpay. There are players I like better but he can do the job and the Suns can add depth behind him with the money saved.

Aaron Gordon has been on almost everyone's list for awhile. The Magic may regret not moving him at the trade deadline when his value may have been the highest. There will be competition this summer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes people think markenaan is available? Particularly for, why, the 10th pick in an atrocious draft?

He's been on the outs since Jim Boylan took over as coach of the Bulls. Whether they would trade him for a pick is questionable but his role in their offense shrunk dramatically with Boylan calling the shots. Apparently Boylan isn't a fan of stretch bigs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Markkanen doesn't give us the defense, rim protection and rebounding we need at the power forward spot. He is certainly better than Saric, but like Saric, Kaminsky and Gallinari he has the same weaknesses we cannot afford to have at the power forward position.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol Isaac sucks.

Jonathan Isaac? I'd prefer him to Gordon but Orlando would want too much for him. If you think he sucks then you haven't paid any attention to the Magic the last year and a half or so that he's finally been playing up to his potential. He was virtually a lock for an All-Defense team this year, averaging 2.4 blocks with 1.6 steals a game. To go with that he's averaging 12 points & 7 boards on decent shooting, 46% FG & 33% 3pt, which isn't great but definitely passable.

He's similar to Mikal if Mikal was 6'11". Very busy on defense and disruptive. He's super long and that helps him shut down passing lanes and protect the paint. It's almost more impressive he's doing everything currently as a SF. I believe his rebounding and blocks should go up when they find a home for Gordon and push Isaac to full time PF. He's sort of like a modern Andrei Kirilenko.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/isaacjo01.html

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jonathan Isaac? I'd prefer him to Gordon but Orlando would want too much for him. If you think he sucks then you haven't paid any attention to the Magic the last year and a half or so that he's finally been playing up to his potential. He was virtually a lock for an All-Defense team this year, averaging 2.4 blocks with 1.6 steals a game. To go with that he's averaging 12 points & 7 boards on decent shooting, 46% FG & 33% 3pt, which isn't great but definitely passable.

He's similar to Mikal if Mikal was 6'11". Very busy on defense and disruptive. He's super long and that helps him shut down passing lanes and protect the paint. It's almost more impressive he's doing everything currently as a SF. I believe his rebounding and blocks should go up when they find a home for Gordon and push Isaac to full time PF. He's sort of like a modern Andrei Kirilenko.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/isaacjo01.html

Oh I know who he is and what he’s doing. I’m not impressed. He’s alright but he offers you nothing on offense. So you got him and bridges you can’t play them together. On this team he’s just another guy that can’t create or get his own shot...great

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think PHX needs to trade up in draft to get Toppin as he is the best option to improve this roster next year. Ideally, PHX lands in Top 8 so that a trade up is not as drastic, but this year's plus additional 1st rounders should do the trick. Not sure if a player would have to be added depending on who the trade partner is.

Obviously PHX can have Gordon if they offer up Oubre (that was reportedly what ORL was asking for). Oubre is only signed for one more year and we have Bridges to replace him. Also, would be easier to find a wing in draft than an impact big unless we are willing to go up and get Toppin. Question is was Gordon's down year due to him playing out of position at SF or is he regressing after his payday?

Markannen would be a younger Galinari (whom some feel we should target in FA). Not sure it would cost a lot seeing as his unhappiness in CHI this year is well known. His durability (recent injury issues) concerns me but he would help space the floor. Maybe CHI would be willing to swap him for Oubre?

If PHX keeps their 2020 pick by not trading for Toppin, then I would target Jalen Smith, Okongwu or Achiuwa in that order.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose