Marcus Gilbert re-signed

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course he is.

The only reason he has signed Gilbert is so he doesn't have to go into the draft desperate for a RT. He can keep his option open.

Gilberts contract will be easily cut. It's imagine it's something like $2m with 500k in G's and $1.75m in incentives. If they happen to draft a RT then Gilberts ass will be gone. Or they might cut Sweezy and kick the rookie or Gilbert inside.

The same way if they draft a DT Trevon Coney's ass will be gone. Or a Okudah then Alfords ass will be gone. etc etc

None of these low value moves mean squat in regards to the draft. The only move that does is Nuk. I'm sorry for those clinging to hope but you don't trade for a top 3 WR in the league who is 26, pay him $18-$20m and then use your premium pick on a WR1 who's never going to get the targets or snaps to make that pick make sense while adding another $4.5m to your WR room cap hit.

They have 3 guys they are happy to start and 3 more to develop. I doubt they take a WR anywhere in the draft with limited picks available. Nearly every position group is a greater need than WR now.
you and Solar are delusional, I bet you guys were the why would they take a QB they have Rosen crew last year. I'll find the interview RT isnt a need that Keim has importance on. He says Murray is a starter, Gilbert is a back up, there will bo Oline in the 1st. It's not happening,.so just get used too it. Let me find the interview he says you get a player of and
Nobody takes a QB in the top 10 and then takes another QB #1 overall the next year....until they do.

After last year...anything is possible.

People dont remember Cards run the Spread, KK want to run 5 Wrs, dont be surprised if they frah another one that knows the offense, has chemistry with Kyler and can fill in when Fitz goes. Hopkins, Lamb and Kirk

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
you and Solar are delusional, I bet you guys were the why would they take a QB they have Rosen crew last year. I'll find the interview RT isnt a need that Keim has importance on. He says Murray is a starter, Gilbert is a back up, there will bo Oline in the 1st. It's not happening,.so just get used too it. Let me find the interview he says you get a player of and

People dont remember Cards run the Spread, KK want to run 5 Wrs, dont be surprised if they frah another one that knows the offense, has chemistry with Kyler and can fill in when Fitz goes. Hopkins, Lamb and Kirk
Dude, you okay? Can't even type straight.

Anything a GM says leading up to draft is a smokescreen, man. Your obsession with getting a WR when it's the strongest position on the team is mind blowing. Four WRs won't matter when we're still the #32 defense and Kyler's hurt because his offensive line is average on their absolute best days.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Anything a GM says leading up to draft is a smokescreen, man. Your obsession with getting a WR when it's the strongest position on the team is mind blowing. Four WRs won't matter when we're still the #32 defense and Kyler's hurt because his offensive line is average on their absolute best days.

My obsession isnt over WR it's that Keim is not going RT at 8, that's funny, but happening we can Avatar wager all day

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My obsession isnt over WR it's that Keim is not going RT at 8, that's funny, but happening we can Avatar wager all day
I don't think he is either after this re-signing, but I think it's a terrible move. It's going to be depressing next offseason watching him try to cobble together an offensive line in free agency because he refuses to fix the problem with anything but used chewing gum.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think he is either after this re-signing, but I think it's a terrible move. It's going to be depressing next offseason watching him try to cobble together an offensive line in free agency because he refuses to fix the problem with anything but used chewing gum.

That's the point I play everything Cards I can listen to, Keim gets cute and throws out how underrated the line is, his last interview on Doug and Wolf, Keim doesn't smoke signal he said he wants a position you cant land in Free agency. My guess is a trade down and he lands a WR If a stud defensive player doesn't fall.

I am pro build a Oline, I just know Keim gets cute, I can definently see them grabbing Ruggs in a trade down and him explaining how smart he is for it, because they run a spread. I would rather build O line and run the ball and not have a spread offense. I would much rather them try to be the Ravens than be a gimmick offense. But I see in Keims mind that line is back and that hes not going to do anything major. Defensive star at 8 or trade down and go WR. I totally see that happening.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So, with the additions in FA, PP21 and Alford for the season and others with a year of experience - you are predicting a #32 ranked defence?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So, with the additions in FA, PP21 and Alford for the season and others with a year of experience - you are predicting a #32 ranked defence?
It's a little hyperbole for good measure. Vance Joseph is still a question mark though.

I think the addition of an elite defensive player moves the needle more on overall wins and our defensive ranking than the addition of of a WR does though, if that means anything.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a little hyperbole for good measure. Vance Joseph is still a question mark though.

I think the addition of an elite defensive player moves the needle more on overall wins and our defensive ranking than the addition of of a WR does though, if that means anything.

20+ wideouts have top 3 round grades, I see no need to go for one with pick one.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
20+ wideouts have top 3 round grades, I see no need to go for one with pick one.
That's why I favor a trade back (assuming a defensive stud didn't drop). This way we can pick up more draft capital and hopefully still get either a top RT or god forbid Lamb or Juedy are still available we could take them there. I suspect we don't draft a WR or a RT if we stay at #8 as it likely means one of Simmons, Okudah or Brown fell to us.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I favor a trade back (assuming a defensive stud didn't drop). This way we can pick up more draft capital and hopefully still get either a top RT or god forbid Lamb or Juedy are still available we could take them there. I suspect we don't draft a WR or a RT if we stay at #8 as it likely means one of Simmons, Okudah or Brown fell to us.

Other than a QB available at #8 that could entice another team, I can't imagine a player available at that point that we couldn't use.

Quality over quantity, every time. IMO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This seems okay to me. He’s decent when healthy. The cost is reasonable. BC is likely right, the guarantee is likely low. If he shows up in shape and passes his physical he’s at least a decent backup. This injury is common and usually doesn’t impair future performance. He does seem injury prone but at this cost you couldn’t buy better.

I don’t see this preventing this from drafting an OT. You could either cut Gilbert or use him for depth & mentoring. This would seem to increase the likelihood of a strategy like trading down, drafting Lamb and then taking a developmental guy like Cleveland, Peart or Wilson.
Agree. It gives us a security blanket if he sticks. It frees us up to not have to draft an OL And worst-case scenario - he can't fully rehab his injury and we release him.

Biggest team needs (not necessarily in that order): Protecting K1, Pass coverage opposite PP21, Stopping TE's and Consistently limiting YAC yardage.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Other than a QB available at #8 that could entice another team, I can't imagine a player available at that point that we couldn't use.

Of course there will be a player there that we can use, but the odds are there will be a player available a few spots later that will be just as good a prospect. Therefor we gain quantity without having to give up much if any quality.

Obviously whether or not we trade back and how far if we do depends very much on who all is on the board still and who we believe will be there at the trade back spot.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry... that kind of thinking lost us T. Suggs, once upon a time.
You only do it if there are multiple players still on the board that have similar grades and one will be available at the later pick. If say Simmons is there and is graded well above the other guys available than you just stay put and draft him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep talking about drafting a RT at #8 and not say an OT at #8. Who is going to play LT if Hump gets injured? Murray barely passes as a RT god forbid he moves over to LT.

Every other unit on the team has better depth then the OT position. SK has stated the Murray can play OG as well so signing Gilbert and drafting a rookie to battle him for the starting position at RT is by far the best plan. I'm fine with trading back some and then drafting an OT.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep talking about drafting a RT at #8 and not say an OT at #8. Who is going to play LT if Hump gets injured? Murray barely passes as a RT god forbid he moves over to LT.

Every other unit on the team has better depth then the OT position. SK has stated the Murray can play OG as well so signing Gilbert and drafting a rookie to battle him for the starting position at RT is by far the best plan. I'm fine with trading back some and then drafting an OT.
I don't want to pass on who we think could be an All-Pro RT for the next decade to draft a guy we think can swing to LT because the perception is that the player is more valuable. It's why I don't like trading back. I don't want a front office that says "I dunno, any of these guys will do."

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely spot on. If we trade down we are going to swallow hard a pass on a good player.

Do we trade down for the sake of numbers? I believe we cannot pass on Simmons or Okudah. Some will disagree but we’ve been looking for a SECOND cb since we drafted Pp21.

We could trade down and still get an OT and perhaps a WR. However, to trade down its going to take somebody that wants a QB, a OT that they covet, a WR they love or a guy like Simmons or Okudah.

It’s easy to say trade down until you’re on the clock and you’re staring at a 5 star player.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with a trade down is Im not sure I can find a team thats still in range for us to get a top player.

Broncos maybe do it for Ruggs. However, if you want Lamb...he'd probably be gone to Raiders or Niners. Then you'd be hoping Kinlaw is still there.

Only way the Raiders make the deal is if they change course and want a QB. Otherwise they could sit tight and get Lamb.

Jets/Browns will probably want an OT just like us. So unless the guy we want isnt valued by those teams then why make a move. Unless we secretly think Andrew Thomas is the OT we really want.

Idk. We're kinda in a tough spot for a trade down.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The problem with a trade down is Im not sure I can find a team thats still in range for us to get a top player.

Broncos maybe do it for Ruggs. However, if you want Lamb...he'd probably be gone to Raiders or Niners. Then you'd be hoping Kinlaw is still there.

Only way the Raiders make the deal is if they change course and want a QB. Otherwise they could sit tight and get Lamb.

Jets/Browns will probably want an OT just like us. So unless the guy we want isnt valued by those teams then why make a move. Unless we secretly think Andrew Thomas is the OT we really want.

Idk. We're kinda in a tough spot for a trade down.
Agreed with this. Unfortunately, I think Keim is obsessed with picks, which is ironic, since he never hits. So we'll probably move down to grab that next pick, and let someone else make the decisions for him when it comes to who we take.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Can’t see a realistic trade up scenario to #8 for anyone. This draft is too deep.

It would have to be a fluke scenario where 4 QB’s, Okudah, Young and Simmons go before us and Keim knows he’s guaranteed a top-2 OT or DT so he’d be okay getting lowballed to move back 3-4 spots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. If we trade down we are going to swallow hard a pass on a good player.

Do we trade down for the sake of numbers? I believe we cannot pass on Simmons or Okudah. Some will disagree but we’ve been looking for a SECOND cb since we drafted Pp21.

We could trade down and still get an OT and perhaps a WR. However, to trade down its going to take somebody that wants a QB, a OT that they covet, a WR they love or a guy like Simmons or Okudah.

It’s easy to say trade down until you’re on the clock and you’re staring at a 5 star player.
I agree. This seems like a really good draft to just stay where they are and draft the BPA. I would only trade down if someone (or two) unexpected were taken early and we were guaranteed to get our guy a couple slots later. But in this scenario, its likely that an even better player falls to us.

Nah. Just make the pick.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sorry... that kind of thinking lost us T. Suggs, once upon a time.

Exactamundo.

You only do it if there are multiple players still on the board that have similar grades and one will be available at the later pick. If say Simmons is there and is graded well above the other guys available than you just stay put and draft him.

So what you're saying is you never do it. Because, in the draft, you have no guarantee that those players will still be on the board when you pick. Unless you're moving down, say, 2 spots, and you have 2 players graded out exactly the same. Otherwise, you're drafting Skillet Hands and Pace instead of Suggs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave