Marcus Gilbert re-signed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is not drafting a Tackle with Murray and Gilbert, not happening its Lamb or Simmons if he falls guarenteed!

Of course he is.

The only reason he has signed Gilbert is so he doesn't have to go into the draft desperate for a RT. He can keep his option open.

Gilberts contract will be easily cut. It's imagine it's something like $2m with 500k in G's and $1.75m in incentives. If they happen to draft a RT then Gilberts ass will be gone. Or they might cut Sweezy and kick the rookie or Gilbert inside.

The same way if they draft a DT Trevon Coney's ass will be gone. Or a Okudah then Alfords ass will be gone. etc etc

None of these low value moves mean squat in regards to the draft. The only move that does is Nuk. I'm sorry for those clinging to hope but you don't trade for a top 3 WR in the league who is 26, pay him $18-$20m and then use your premium pick on a WR1 who's never going to get the targets or snaps to make that pick make sense while adding another $4.5m to your WR room cap hit.

They have 3 guys they are happy to start and 3 more to develop. I doubt they take a WR anywhere in the draft with limited picks available. Nearly every position group is a greater need than WR now.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
On October 11, 2012, this player went down clutching his knee and was carted off the field On November 26, 2012, he was placed on injured reserve with torn tendons in his ankle His season was held to five starts due to this injury.He suffered a concussion. He was limited to 12 starts in 2014 after he missed Weeks 13, 14, and 15 after suffering an ankle injury during practice He started the first four games of the season and injured his ankle . He missed the next three games but was able to return in time for Week 7 contest

he suffered a hamstring injury during a 26-9 victory. He missed Weeks 3-5 due to the injury but left the game after reinjuring his hamstring He missed the next two games after suffering the setback. He started five of the first six games before missing Weeks 8–14 with a knee injury. He was ultimately placed on injured reserve on December 15, 2018.He was placed on injured reserve on September 10, 2019 with a knee injury.

Sounds like someone else we know...

Who is DJ Humphries?

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
K2 & Keim made it clear that he was the best O-Lineman in camp last year. If he's at a minimum salary with incentives..... who can argue with this?

I really think we are drafting Lamb now.

I can. Minimum or not, it eats at the salary cap, and it takes up a roster spot. We're not rolling with 3 RTs, and cutting one of them if we draft another brings even more dead money. All this for a player who's been done for years now. I hated the trade, sadly predicting we wouldn't get anything out of him. We still won't.

He is not drafting a Tackle with Murray and Gilbert, not happening its Lamb or Simmons if he falls guarenteed!

Sadly, no, he's not.

Might as well puke now & get it over with. Just don't do it in public. You'll be quarantined.

Hahahaha! Nice one.

:shrug::shrug:At least the team will be throwing less money at him to not play this year? :shrug::shrug:

Ha, true! We've wasted a little less. Sad that this is a consideration with Keim.

Hyperbole

Nope.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but i agree with Stout on this that it is a waste of cap money. He has played just 12 games in the last 3 years (none last year). OT in the draft is till a big need.

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
I'll bet you $100 he's not

I agree with that, there's zero chance this team takes a wide receiver with how awful the defense is. They're taking Simmons, Brown or tackle. Receiver would be asinine and a one way ticket to 5 wins again.

Reactions: PJ1

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wadsworth was a case of injuries that derailed his career, no way of predicting that. Ryan Leaf was a head case. There's plenty of guys who project to be studs that fulfill that projection.

So one of these OT's can't be a headcase or have a major injury?

I think you are missing the whole point.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am not mad at the signing. Hopefully his rehab is going well and he is hungry. Seems a little premature to sign him now. Though I guess the thought process is to open our options for the draft. I hope we make a huge jump this season.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If we could possibly drop down 2-4 spots and pick up a second rounder, I think it would be ideal. I would then draft a wr (hopefully Lamb) in the first round and then target Ezra Cleveland in the second round. He is my favorite Offensive Tackle in this draft. I believe that he will shock a lot of people and be a steal for an NFL team, hopefully the Cardinals!
I was wondering when someone would bring up Cleveland. He’s a true sleeper. If he can be one a weight room monster, he has a high ceiling. I’d like him better if he were nastier, but he’s got a shot. Round 2 might be a round too high, but the OT rush will be unpredictable. He’s an outstanding athlete. Almost as good as Wirfs.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Of course he is.

The only reason he has signed Gilbert is so he doesn't have to go into the draft desperate for a RT. He can keep his option open.

Gilberts contract will be easily cut. It's imagine it's something like $2m with 500k in G's and $1.75m in incentives. If they happen to draft a RT then Gilberts ass will be gone. Or they might cut Sweezy and kick the rookie or Gilbert inside.

The same way if they draft a DT Trevon Coney's ass will be gone. Or a Okudah then Alfords ass will be gone. etc etc

None of these low value moves mean squat in regards to the draft. The only move that does is Nuk. I'm sorry for those clinging to hope but you don't trade for a top 3 WR in the league who is 26, pay him $18-$20m and then use your premium pick on a WR1 who's never going to get the targets or snaps to make that pick make sense while adding another $4.5m to your WR room cap hit.

They have 3 guys they are happy to start and 3 more to develop. I doubt they take a WR anywhere in the draft with limited picks available. Nearly every position group is a greater need than WR now.

Gilbert's deal only has 500K in guaranteed money? If so that's a solid deal.

By the way, D-Hop is 27 and will turn 28 in June.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gilbert's deal only has 500K in guaranteed money? If so that's a solid deal.

By the way, D-Hop is 27 and will turn 28 in June.

That's just speculation on my part, no details out there yet. But considering we paid him $5m for lying on a table last year I think they would balance that out with very little in G's this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point it could be BPA? Still may be a Tackle? We have no idea which of the 5 that SK will have rated the highest? If his top 2 get picked before #8.........? If they don't.........? If Simmons is there at #8 you almost can't pass him up. If Simmons is gone & the top tackle on our board is also, I think we should just trade down, try to get a 2nd in the trade, then take the BPA. Whether that is a WR or OL. I like the direction we've went so far. When Gilbert was healthy playing for the Steelers, he was a top 5-10 OT. Who's to say he won't stay healthy? History says he won't but our offensive system seemed to cure Humphries injury problems last season, maybe it will cure Gilbert's? He just had a freak injury during training camp last season. If Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs is there after a trade, taking any of the 3 wouldn't be a bad deal really. Imagine teams trying to stop Hopkins, Larry, Kirk & one of those 3? In my mind, that would be an absolute nightmare if I was a DC. Most teams only have 2 elite like corners & some aren't really elite even, just starters that think they are lol. Blitz us, then Drake leaks out of the backfield or Dan Arnold runs a quick back shoulder fade pattern. Not to mention blitzing can create running lanes for Kyler. Our offense is gonna score points in 2020, we scored enough in several games as it was in 2019 to get several more wins. The defense just couldn't get the stops needed. FA shored some of the defensive problems up. Now VJ just needs to keep the defensive assignments simple, just like he did in the last 4 games of 2019. Stop the TE's also. I know, big task there lol.

Sounds exciting. The Cardinals might turn into that offensive machine we envisioned with the hire of Kliff Kingsbury.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No way they draft Lamb. Or should I say very small odds.

His biggest comp is Nuk. You don't draft a WR that gives you the same thing your 26 yo WR1 already gives you.

If they draft a WR is more likely to be Jeudy or Ruggs which give us something different.
You say this as if either Hop or Lamb are limited receivers. Both are very athletic with exceptional hands. Both can make plays at every level of the defense which includes both being legit deep threats.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds exciting. The Cardinals might turn into that offensive machine we envisioned with the hire of Kliff Kingsbury.
Yes. They just may. I think KK all along has envisioned the 4 WR sets from 10 personnel. To see if it would work in the NFL. He just didn't have all the talent needed to run it in 2019. With the addition of either Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs, he will. If we do go WR in the first rd, I hope he doesn't abandon the 11 & 12 personnel sets in 2020? I like balance, gotta mix it up & show the power game also. Personally, I love the 2 TE sets, so many ways to get creative out of those.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You say this as if either Hop or Lamb are limited receivers. Both are very athletic with exceptional hands. Both can make plays at every level of the defense which includes both being legit deep threats.

You don't draft a WR1 (which is what you are doing with pick 8) when you already have a WR1.

I understand people have become invested in Lamb pre Nuk but things have changed.

Nobody trades for a WR1, gives them a wage bump and then uses thier primo pick on another WR1.

Its simply not going to happen.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You don't draft a WR1 (which is what you are doing with pick 8) when you already have a WR1.

I understand people have become invested in Lamb pre Nuk but things have changed.

Nobody trades for a WR1, gives them a wage bump and then uses thier primo pick on another WR1.

Keep telling yourself that, but don't be shocked when/if it does happen. This is a team that wants to air it out and having two top guys on the outside allows them to do just that.

I do believe that there are a few guys they might take over Lamb, I just don't suspect it is an offensive lineman, but Simmons, Okudah and maybe Brown.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody takes a QB in the top 10 and then takes another QB #1 overall the next year....until they do.

After last year...anything is possible.

It's not even remotely the same thing.

One is replacing a player on a rookie contract. The other is bringing a player in to play the exact same position at the same time when you just gave a guy $20m.

The equivalent would be giving a FA QB $30m and 4 years in FA and they drafting a QB in the top 10.

They didn't trade their 2nd and DJ so they could still draft a WR at #8.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

It's been said before but the Cardinals drafted Fitz #3 overall a year after drafting WR's in round 1 AND 2. Detroit drafted a WR in the top 10 3 years in a row. So yes it does happen and can happen again.

I am not saying I expect it to happen but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope we get to go defense with #8. However, I would rather them go WR (Lamb or Juedy) than reach for any of the OL guys, who aren't worth a top 10 pick. As I've said before, if they want to go OL, then trade down.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This seems okay to me. He’s decent when healthy. The cost is reasonable. BC is likely right, the guarantee is likely low. If he shows up in shape and passes his physical he’s at least a decent backup. This injury is common and usually doesn’t impair future performance. He does seem injury prone but at this cost you couldn’t buy better.

I don’t see this preventing this from drafting an OT. You could either cut Gilbert or use him for depth & mentoring. This would seem to increase the likelihood of a strategy like trading down, drafting Lamb and then taking a developmental guy like Cleveland, Peart or Wilson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson