Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try this: Right click on the window's icon in the bottom left, a menu should open up, click power options and try setting those to never. Might also be in your screen saver settings, which you can access in the same menu from above.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try this: Right click on the window's icon in the bottom left, a menu should open up, click power options and try setting those to never. Might also be in your screen saver settings, which you can access in the same menu from above.

You beat me to it. Another way:

Press the Windows Key + S, type in, and click on Power & sleep. Under Sleep, you should see When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after.

Click the drop-down box and select Never.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You beat me to it. Another way:

Press the Windows Key + S, type in, and click on Power & sleep. Under Sleep, you should see When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after.

Click the drop-down box and select Never.

:thumbup:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oddly enough, I used my laptop for a few minutes last night to look up if red rocks had tickets still next to some tickets I bought and my computer kept turning off every few minutes. It was right before bed and the mission was accomplished so I did not look into it to see if it was a similar issue.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead @Covert Rain

Guys, I tried pretty much everything you told me. I got rid of the sign-in at startup and I changed my password to blank but it still times out... there's just no password required but I have to click sign in... better than nothing.

Thanks for your help

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BigRedRage @puckhead

How do 'bots' buy tickets? Wth is a bot anyway? How do they work? There is always a crap storm over Russian bots on Facebook ... I don't get it.

https://loudwire.com/fans-pissed-rage-against-the-machine-ticket-prices-scalpers/

PS. I've never been able to figure out what a spider or crawler is either. I try googling but still doesn't make sense.

My best stab is people make software that can buy tickets for their scalping business so that they can't only buy with a singular account at a time.

Similarly, a person, group or country could develop software that managed thousands of social media accounts and as you tell it to post something, it can post it to all of those accounts.

Spiders are 8 legged arachnids that spin webs to catch other insects and eat them.

Crawler is a slang word for when mryeahbut gets in trouble with his wife and tries to make it up to her

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best stab is people make software that can buy tickets for their scalping business so that they can't only buy with a singular account at a time.

Similarly, a person, group or country could develop software that managed thousands of social media accounts and as you tell it to post something, it can post it to all of those accounts.

Spiders are 8 legged arachnids that spin webs to catch other insects and eat them.

Crawler is a slang word for when mryeahbut gets in trouble with his wife and tries to make it up to her

Even though I can barely get though Stubhub without screwing up, seems like writing software for it wouldn't be all that tough.

As far as spiders go, I hunt black widows for sport in the summer. I have no permit and I mostly hunt them at night with a flashlight which likely is illegal.

I have been known to crawl in front of women.

Get rid of the stupid Tapatalk thing!

btw, I hate you.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I can barely get though Stubhub without screwing up, seems like writing software for it wouldn't be all that tough.

As far as spiders go, I hunt black widows for sport in the summer. I have no permit and I mostly hunt them at night with a flashlight which likely is illegal.

I have been known to crawl in front of women.

Get rid of the stupid Tapatalk thing!

btw, I hate you.
[emoji3531]

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you wizards have any experience with this laptop that's minus the laptop? My sales mgr wants a new tablet for her in-home displays and this looks pretty nice, just plug your phone into it. Am I being suckered into something... pitfalls?

https://www.theweek.com/articles/897009/device-may-make-lowend-laptop-obsolete

Neat idea.

At under three bills, I would find somewhere with a good return policy and test it out. Go through the whole presentation and if it passes the muster, you're in business.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat idea.

At under three bills, I would find somewhere with a good return policy and test it out. Go through the whole presentation and if it passes the muster, you're in business.

Can't seem to find it anywhere other than their website. Don't know why, but the touch-screen model is less expensive but it's not even shipping until July. Specs say it's compatible with Galaxy S9 which is what she has.

http://nexdock.com/touch/

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The company that bought us has a passwords expire every 3 months policy now in place. We're still in "integration" so my windows password is my old company domain but other passwords are the new one. the whole company expires on the same day. I waited until 2 days before it ended to change because every time so far it has been a pain. So I changed about 7 am on Wed and immediately regretted it. I have a Thur morning meeting every week where we all edit a shared document, a word file. You have to open it and edit it but you open in Word, not Word online. Before I changed it worked fine, but it had taken them 4 weeks to figure out how to make mine work. After the password change, can't get in and IT has now tried twice to fix it and now readily admits I'm not doing anything wrong. They think password changes somehow "fall through cracks" so it works across multiple places but one place, like the shared files, it doesn't work. The problem is you can't get the system to prompt you to login so you can enter the correct domain such as XYZ/login password. And even worse someone else in the same dilemma somehow got to that point, and when they went to log back in discovered it won't take their new password, or their old password. We're instructed NOT to use the same password for our Windows password and our new company password, so you have 2 but this person is positive they are putting in the correct password, has tried both, and it will not take it. So they're now locked out of the new domain and being told to click forgot password, change again, and we'll see if that works.

What a nightmare for the IT guys because everyone expires roughly the same time, 150 people give or take a few.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

I love it...lmao

I finally got mine fixed so I don't even have to log in anymore. I'm not worried about security.

I have a manufacturer that I buy from and their site times out in about 15min and there's 2 different log ins. What, do they think someone's going to get on my computer and order a semi load of doors.. stupid

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

I love it...lmao

I finally got mine fixed so I don't even have to log in anymore. I'm not worried about security.

I have a manufacturer that I buy from and their site times out in about 15min and there's 2 different log ins. What, do they think someone's going to get on my computer and order a semi load of doors.. stupid

My mortgage company forces a few password changes a year. They are real concerned about someone paying my mortgage payment for me.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mortgage company forces a few password changes a year. They are real concerned about someone paying my mortgage payment for me.

And here I wasted all that time hacking you just so I could pay your mortgage, and now I'm left keeping the money for myself. :nono:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything going alright, @MrYeahbut ?

It's been a while since I annoyed you and I don't have a lot of hobbies. :)

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything going alright, @MrYeahbut ?

It's been a while since I annoyed you and I don't have a lot of hobbies. :)

Sorry to deprive you of your pasatiempo. Just been busy with life. Everyone healthy here so all good. I still practice guitar every day though just to clear my head.

Thanks for checking, bruh!

Edit to add... what's life without tech problems.. my email provider has some kind of malfunction. I keep getting the same emails over and over. I've got about 200 in my inbox now that are just copies of the same 5 or so. Tech support can't figure it out either.. sigh

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to deprive you of your pasatiempo. Just been busy with life. Everyone healthy here so all good. I still practice guitar every day though just to clear my head.

Thanks for checking, bruh!

Edit to add... what's life without tech problems.. my email provider has some kind of malfunction. I keep getting the same emails over and over. I've got about 200 in my inbox now that are just copies of the same 5 or so. Tech support can't figure it out either.. sigh

I'm glad all is well. Thanks for checking in, MrYeahbruh. :)

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Google Chrome for my browser. Should I switch over to Edge? I get a pop up every time I start up my computer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have issues of my own that may or may not be related to the browser. I've been a huge fan of Firefox and have used it for years. However, I'm having an issue where videos do not want to play especially from tweets. Also some web pages don't want to load. I've tried about everything. The problem is sporadic. Other browsers load better but I like Firefox so much more and the privacy it provides.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the pop up say?

Something to the effect of 'For better browsing experience, use Edge to replace Chrome'. I use chrome on my Samsung phone and tablet but I haven't seen the message on those devices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose