The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memphis getting blown out again. Four losses in a row, JJJ and Clarke injured. The 8th spot is back in play.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embiid hurt his shoulder tonight, didn't look good. If it is his labrum they might ask him to play through it and fix it later.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Steve, your memory of NBA-past is better than most.

Do you think that the incidence of time lost to injuries is greater than forty years ago?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think that the incidence of time lost to injuries is greater than forty years ago?

It sure seems that way to me but thanks to the internet, game availability and sports shows in general, we know so much more about the overall NBA today than we did 40 years ago so it's tough to compare fairly. But I would think the extra wear and tear from year around play, style of play, and that many of these guys face pro like schedules from a much younger age probably does increase the injury risk/time lost even with improved training regimens and the advance of medical knowledge.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of the guys from the 70s and 60s who suffered serious knee injuries are entirely forgotten because there was little to be done for them and their careers fell apart.

I also think players used to play through minor injuries that guys now rest with, but it goes to issues that are not about being tough. Teams paying a player 20 million a year don't want to see their investment ruined because they forced him to play through a sprain. Also, guys back then would get pumped full of painkillers, greenies and in the case of many 70s and 80s players, cocaine, allowing them to ignore pain.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Embiid hurt his shoulder tonight, didn't look good. If it is his labrum they might ask him to play through it and fix it later.

This is his sixth(!) year since being drafted, and he's barely managed to get to 200 career games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the guys from the 70s and 60s who suffered serious knee injuries are entirely forgotten because there was little to be done for them and their careers fell apart.

I also think players used to play through minor injuries that guys now rest with, but it goes to issues that are not about being tough. Teams paying a player 20 million a year don't want to see their investment ruined because they forced him to play through a sprain. Also, guys back then would get pumped full of painkillers, greenies and in the case of many 70s and 80s players, cocaine, allowing them to ignore pain.

Being a basketball fan back then was quite a bit different than it is today. So few games were televised and that's even before the late 70's when CBS seemed determined to kill the sport altogether.

I followed the Suns once they entered the league but other than the local team, I'd just check the box scores every morning for the players I liked from college ball. I probably got to see the Globetrotters (on Wide World of Sports) as often as I did any team other than the Suns. So yeah, it's quite possible there were a lot more injuries back then that just ended careers and escaped the attention of the average fan.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is his sixth(!) year since being drafted, and he's barely managed to get to 200 career games.
Just watch him play. He throws himself all over the court.

This is what bugs me a bit about criticizing Ayton as a finesse center. First, he play a fairly physical game. But he also plays a game that is sustainable. Fouls are called differently than they were 25 years ago. Big men cannot play as physical as they once did and stay on the court. Then there are players like Embiid that throw their bodies around. He is constantly injured.

There is a balance that allows for maximum effectiveness. Ayton's problem is not his physicality, its consistency, and that seems to be improving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Embiid will be re-evaluated in a week.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought Stephen Curry would play against the Wizards at home on March 1st. Maybe things have changed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some more about Curry.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have fun with a contender. The Kings are ahead of the Suns in the standings.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium: Kings and forward Anthony Tolliver are finalizing a contract buyout that allows Tolliver to pursue opportunities with playoff contenders. March 1 is deadline for players to be released and playoff-eligible.

12:27 PM - 29 Feb 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chasson Randle will sign with Warriors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers to waive Troy Daniels.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Lakers will waive G Troy Daniels, agent Mark Bartelstein of @PrioritySports tells ESPN. Two sides had been working together to find a solution that will give Daniels an opportunity elsewhere, and also give Lakers an open roster spot into March.

3:31 PM - 1 Mar 2020

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave