The old Keim Telegraph

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I respect you man, but agree to disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, don't throw shade at ours. We get it, you and others are not on the Thomas train, cool. But Thomas played RT his freshman year at UGA in he SEC so he was tested. Keim quoted what he did, he takes premium positions into account when drafting, he said LT which is what Thomas is. Thomas would push Humphries to continue improving because he knows Thomas could replace him if he pulls a David Johnson.

These young guys move around a lot. Many of them played left and right either in college or HS. At that young age it's much easier to switch sides compared to a long time NFL vet.

In an ideal world they would stay in the same position but it's not uncommon to switch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like the Cardinals are sniffing a trade down in the draft if the opportunity arises.

I'm hoping all this receiver talk early in the draft (#8) is just that. I'd like for the Cardinals go offensive tackle or defensive tackle if they stay put.

I think we are too the problem is so are several other teams. Apparently both Detroit and the Giants have made it clear they're willing to deal out of their pick. The Lions there's some chatter they may take a QB but most see it as them wanting to trade out so by saying we might take a QB, they increase the price to a team wanting to move up that actually will take a QB. The Giants want a WR or an OL and have decided they pick too early for that so they'd like to slide back.

It's an interesting situation if the Cards really wanted Okudah, and Detroit moved their pick to someone who wants a QB, would the Cards move up from 8 to 4 to get Okudah, and the Giants get their WR? I love Okudah I'm just not sure we should pay too much to move up 4 slots I'm not sure we're good enough to give up picks

Some guy on CBS did a mock draft which I don't buy at all but he has Detroit trading with the Chargers so the Chargers pick Tua at 3, he has the Giants taking Ruggs at 4(!), Dolphins Herbert at 5, Giants take Okudah at 6, Simmons goes 7 to Carolina and we take Jeudy at 8. I just don't buy at all that Ruggs will go 4th, their comment was after he runs a 4.2 at the combine I just don't think that's enough for him to go that high.

I love Okudah but I think I'd rather move back a bit if we don't stay at 8 and take someone like Reagor and get an extra pick or player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are too the problem is so are several other teams. Apparently both Detroit and the Giants have made it clear they're willing to deal out of their pick. The Lions there's some chatter they may take a QB but most see it as them wanting to trade out so by saying we might take a QB, they increase the price to a team wanting to move up that actually will take a QB. The Giants want a WR or an OL and have decided they pick too early for that so they'd like to slide back.

It's an interesting situation if the Cards really wanted Okudah, and Detroit moved their pick to someone who wants a QB, would the Cards move up from 8 to 4 to get Okudah, and the Giants get their WR? I love Okudah I'm just not sure we should pay too much to move up 4 slots I'm not sure we're good enough to give up picks

Some guy on CBS did a mock draft which I don't buy at all but he has Detroit trading with the Chargers so the Chargers pick Tua at 3, he has the Giants taking Ruggs at 4(!), Dolphins Herbert at 5, Giants take Okudah at 6, Simmons goes 7 to Carolina and we take Jeudy at 8. I just don't buy at all that Ruggs will go 4th, their comment was after he runs a 4.2 at the combine I just don't think that's enough for him to go that high.

I love Okudah but I think I'd rather move back a bit if we don't stay at 8 and take someone like Reagor and get an extra pick or player.

Lots of competition to move down for sure so the Cardinals have to hope someone is there at #8 some team really wants... maybe a quarterback.

The plus for dealing with the Cardinals is they would not want a windfall in return for trading down a bit.

I figured the Cardinals had no chance at Okudah. Never can have enough corner backs. Agree the cost might be too much to trade down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on trading down:

last year there were 6 trade ups in the first round and none of the acquired picks were used on a QB --

the Steelers traded up 10 spots to take Devin Bush, a ILB. Go figure.

point being: there doesn't need to be a QB there for the Cards to have an opportunity to trade down

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Unless Simmons or Okudah are there, a trade down is probably the best option.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Justin Herbert fell to 8, it would be our best possible haul to trade down a few spots, but not too many. There are about 11-12 elite talents in this draft.

Just gotta let FA play out first.

And Keim just isn't that deceptive. I don't think he feels the need for a lot of intrigue, just pick your guy. His most secretive draft was the only one when he didn't have to be, last year, with the top pick. With the slotting of contracts now, it's taken out the "is this guy going to be a total idiot in contract negotiations?" problem.

I think the point is if you can home run the most expensive positions in the sport during the draft, it allows you a lot more room to build a sstrong team while those contracts are lower than going out and paying top dollar for QB, OT, OLB and etc.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make it seem like we like a lot of options at #8 so all teams are desperate to leapfrog us or trade with us to not lost their guy. Pretty much anything but QB will be believable.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for site meltdown if we trade down.

1. We will be passing on a projected very good player.
2. The fear of Keims draft record will have us all squirming in our seats until it’s our turn to pick.
3. No matter who we take half of the board will scream stupid! The other half will spend the next 3 months convincing the others why it’s okay.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready for site meltdown if we trade down.

1. We will be passing on a projected very good player.
2. The fear of Keims draft record will have us all squirming in our seats until it’s our turn to pick.
3. No matter who we take half of the board will scream stupid! The other half will spend the next 3 months convincing the others why it’s okay.

You must be registered for see images attach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

If we trade up for anyone not named Chase Young I will throw a brick through a window.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You could be absolutely right. He's not just big, he's gargantuan. I heard yesterday that he measured in taller & heavier than we was at the end of college season. And, for a huge man, he has nice footwork. My fear is that sometimes when you give a big man big money, the end result isn't always pretty. Some people last year thought Murray was a risky move. I never doubted he'd be very good. Maybe Becton will be great & worth the risk. Much will depend on the kid's attitude & work ethic. Let's see how he's vetted.

He actually weighed in lighter than he played at.

Just watch the tape. He physically dominated nearly everyone he faced, and that includes Julian Okwara from Notre Dame who might go 1st, but shouldn't last past the second round. Watch him ragdoll all of the Florida State edge guys.

Hes just so big and strong that there really arent many ends that are strong enough to him, and the smaller guys have to run so far to get around him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we trade up for anyone not named Chase Young I will throw a brick through a window.

Oh I love him I just don't believe Washington won't pick him. I would trade up for Okudah but it has to be the right deal and I suspect Detroit will be asking for too much.

It seems everyone is more interested in moving down not up

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oh I love him I just don't believe Washington won't pick him. I would trade up for Okudah but it has to be the right deal and I suspect Detroit will be asking for too much.

I'm starting to hear the Tua buzz here in the east coast but can't believe Ron will make the same choice Keim made.

I am firmly in the Haskins sucks camp.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I was trying to say I'd be furious if we moved up for Okudah.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was trying to say I'd be furious if we moved up for Okudah.

Depends on other circumstances.

Let's say the Cardinals traded PP21 for a 1st and a 3rd, and used that third to trade up and get Okudah? I'd be down with that. Get cheaper and younger.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These young guys move around a lot. Many of them played left and right either in college or HS. At that young age it's much easier to switch sides compared to a long time NFL vet.

In an ideal world they would stay in the same position but it's not uncommon to switch.
Injuries and talent prevent an ideal world in NFL. If Humphries goes down in preseason we roll with Joshua Miles? I think Keim thinks ahead when drafting. He took Humphries when we had Veldheer at LT thinking eventually Humphries would move over. It makes sense to have versatile OL. You hear GMs love guys who can play multiple positions so it’s easier to get them on the field if they have the talent.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
njuries and talent prevent an ideal world in NFL. If Humphries goes down in preseason we roll with Joshua Miles?

last year, with on unfortunate injury to starting OT Marcus Gilbert, the Cards were literally scouring the waiver wire for a starting RT in week 1

the Cards just cant be one rolled ankle from having to start Josh Miles at one of the OT spots.

drafting an OT at #8 or #40 means some quality OT depth for the first time since DJ's rookie year

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
last year, with on COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE injury to starting OT Marcus Gilbert, the Cards were literally scouring the waiver wire for a starting RT in week 1

the Cards just cant be one rolled ankle from having to start Josh Miles at one of the OT spots.

drafting an OT at #8 or #40 means some quality OT depth for the first time since DJ's rookie year

FTFY :)