Looking at this draft logically

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s exciting to think about an “electric” type player like Lamb or Juedy. Most of us believe we need a #1 wr.... but wait.

This defense has 3 glaring needs. DE, OLB, and DT. We are not going to be able to fill those 3 needs in free agency with QUALITY long term players. I do think we can sign 1 splash player and 1 second tier solid player. Brown, Kinlaw and Simmons would fill one of those holes.

However, the absolute right thing to is to trade down and I believe we should be able to do this. We may not get a a kings ransom for the eight pick but even if it’s just an additional 2nd round pick it would be worth it. The Cowboys, Colts and Broncos are all teams that may be interested in a WR like Lamb or Juedy.

We could possibly get a guy like Chaison. In the second round we could get a we like Aiyuk. With our extra second round pick we could at to the DL.

You can fill your preferences with any players name you like. The point is we need players and depth. The possible combinations are endless. You can bet there is an AJ Brown Debo Samuel in this draft that will be available in the second or third round.

I’d like to see your 4 player selection by using the hypothetical trade down using the 15th, 40th, 47th and 72nd pick.

Get to work Keim.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against it but to trade back you need someone who wants to trade up.

Who would be trading up to 8 and for who? I can't see any of the top 10 worthy QB's still being on the board.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, people will trade up if one of the QB's is left on the board, but not for a WR in a loaded draft.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against it but to trade back you need someone who wants to trade up.

Who would be trading up to 8 and for who? I can't see any of the top 10 worthy QB's still being on the board.
I can see a team like Dallas moving up especially if they can’t sign Cooper. Denver has a need. So does Indy. The Raiders are another team but we could probably only get a third round from them. The Eagles are another team but that would mean moving down quite a bit.

And that’s only considering teams looking for a wr. What if Okudah was sitting there? There may be a team who really likes one of the o-linemen.

if we can pull off a trade it would allow us to get a lot of what we need.

When you all have a minute look at the projections and fill in the four names you would prefer 15,40,47 and 72.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I agree with this. Trading back sounds great in theory because of the sheer lack of young talent on the team, but I don't know that anyone who will be available at 8 is more valuable to another team than they are to us.

At least where we stand today, with 3 QBs potentially coming off the board in the top 7 picks, that pushes a guy who is a top 5 talent into our laps. Tough to pass on someone who should end up being an elite difference maker in his career for what might amount to just a couple of guys.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see a team like Dallas moving up especially if they can’t sign Cooper. Denver has a need. So does Indy. The Raiders are another team but we could probably only get a third round from them. The Eagles are another team but that would mean moving down quite a bit.

And that’s only considering teams looking for a wr. What if Okudah was sitting there? There may be a team who really likes one of the o-linemen.

if we can pull off a trade it would allow us to get a lot of what we need.

When you all have a minute look at the projections and fill in the four names you would prefer 15,40,47 and 72.

The problem is how far do you want to move back?

I feel 15 is as far back as you can go and still guarantee at least one of the top 4 OTs, top 3 WRs, on Kinlaw are on the board. I like Epenesa too and should still be around.

Any further back and you risk having limited options.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
For me it's about what assets we could gain versus the type of player we would be passing up at #8.

My first choice: Miami gets Tua at 5 (looking less likely by the day) and then trades 18 & 26 to us for #8. Slight edge to us in trade value.

2nd: Herbert drops to 8, and the Raiders (12) or Colts (13) come calling. Neither seem likely though. the Colts could offer #13 and #'s 34 or 44 since they own two 2nd round picks. Again, Unlikely.

3rd: The Dolphins have 18, 26, 39, 56, & 70. We could take #18 and two or three others for a 10 spot jump

#8 will be a top 5 positional player. And with 12 picks, the Dolphins could go balls to the walls if they wanted to.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. Trading back sounds great in theory because of the sheer lack of young talent on the team, but I don't know that anyone who will be available at 8 is more valuable to another team than they are to us.

At least where we stand today, with 3 QBs potentially coming off the board in the top 7 picks, that pushes a guy who is a top 5 talent into our laps. Tough to pass on someone who should end up being an elite difference maker in his career for what might amount to just a couple of guys.

If Herbert or Tua is still there at 8, I could easily see teams wanting to go up to get them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's about what assets we could gain versus the type of player we would be passing up at #8.

My first choice: Miami gets Tua at 5 (looking less likely by the day) and then trades 18 & 26 to us for #8. Slight edge to us in trade value.

2nd: Herbert drops to 8, and the Raiders (12) or Colts (13) come calling. Neither seem likely though. the Colts could offer #13 and #'s 34 or 44 since they own two 2nd round picks. Again, Unlikely.

3rd: The Dolphins have 18, 26, 39, 56, & 70. We could take #18 and two or three others for a 10 spot jump

#8 will be a top 5 positional player. And with 12 picks, the Dolphins could go balls to the walls if they wanted to.

I really like the trade down scenario if we don't draft Simmons at 8. Not sure if I would want to go that far down though. It is possible/probable that all 3 WRs could be gone by then.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Another good trade would be:

We give #8 & #70 for Miami's 18, 39, & 56.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I really like the trade down scenario if we don't draft Simmons at 8. Not sure if I would want to go that far down though. It is possible/probable that all 3 WRs could be gone by then.
Agreed. It's risky.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want Simmons, man. I think I want Simmons even less than I want Lamb.

Get that nonsense outta here. ;)

I think he is the best player for our team in the entire draft that could come in and make an immediate impact and could even give us a win or two.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It’s exciting to think about an “electric” type player like Lamb or Juedy. Most of us believe we need a #1 wr.... but wait.

This defense has 3 glaring needs. DE, OLB, and DT. We are not going to be able to fill those 3 needs in free agency with QUALITY long term players. I do think we can sign 1 splash player and 1 second tier solid player. Brown, Kinlaw and Simmons would fill one of those holes.

However, the absolute right thing to is to trade down and I believe we should be able to do this. We may not get a a kings ransom for the eight pick but even if it’s just an additional 2nd round pick it would be worth it. The Cowboys, Colts and Broncos are all teams that may be interested in a WR like Lamb or Juedy.

We could possibly get a guy like Chaison. In the second round we could get a we like Aiyuk. With our extra second round pick we could at to the DL.

You can fill your preferences with any players name you like. The point is we need players and depth. The possible combinations are endless. You can bet there is an AJ Brown Debo Samuel in this draft that will be available in the second or third round.

I’d like to see your 4 player selection by using the hypothetical trade down using the 15th, 40th, 47th and 72nd pick.

Get to work Keim.

Sorry, no. I don't trust Keim to either get a good deal or to do the right thing with the picks he gets. Harder to miss on a top-10 pick, IMO.

The problem is how far do you want to move back?

I feel 15 is as far back as you can go and still guarantee at least one of the top 4 OTs, top 3 WRs, on Kinlaw are on the board. I like Epenesa too and should still be around.

Any further back and you risk having limited options.

No way. I don't want to leave the top 10.

Another good trade would be:

We give #8 & #70 for Miami's 18, 39, & 56.

2003 NFL draft is still vivid in my mind, and I have ZERO desire to repeat that kind of fiasco.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no. I don't trust Keim to either get a good deal or to do the right thing with the picks he gets. Harder to miss on a top-10 pick, IMO.

No way. I don't want to leave the top 10.

2003 NFL draft is still vivid in my mind, and I have ZERO desire to repeat that kind of fiasco.
Lol! There’s no guarantee Keim will get #8 right. Maybe with extra picks we improve our chances!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am fine with Lamb though I prefer Jeudy. I want Derrick Brown, though I am fine with Kinlaw. I am all iffy about Simmons because he just seems like a Swiss pocket army knife for a defense which lacks a foundation up front... and if we traded, I would be perfectly fine with Wirfs as one hell of a right tackle but not really thinking he can be a LT (and putting him at guard is a cop out for blowing a tackle selection in the first)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Get to work Keim.
How about draft Derrick Brown at #8, sign Judon from the Ravens in FA & draft a WR in round 2? You're right. Lots of different ways to go. We'll have a better feel for it after the FA period ends.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It does sound good in theory, trading down & gaining picks. It also sounds good in getting the "difference maker" that falls into our laps as you said. What if we covet a difference maker & we feel good about him falling all the way to the Colts pick (11 or 13)? I've read that the Colts may indeed try & take a QB. Maybe trade down with them, gain their 2nd rd pick, let them take their QB before someone else does & still get our guy in the 1st rd? Gain an extra 2nd round pick & still get our guy. Just a hypothetical, have no idea which player we want or who will fall where.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose