Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree with you about Harper and Owens. I'd like some players on two-way contracts that can play in an emergency and possibly develop for the future.

I'm very happy with what I have seen of Diallo as a depth player. The same with Bolden thus far. Providing there is not slippage, I'd like to have them both back next year as the 14-15 players on the roster. I guess Lecque falls into the category of a deep roster player as well. The Suns need athletes at the 4/5.

Maybe the Suns can sign Bolden to one of those multiyear contract with team options. I don't want to lose him at this point based on what I have seen. Wish the Suns could kick the tires on another player.

You see, this is crazy to me. It isn't fiscally responsible to give a multiyear contract to a guy who signed a 10-day and has only appeared in ONE game for the club. That is ridiculous. At least try to see if he can be consistent or not.

He was signed to a 10-day! IF he was as good as you claim he is, why bother, why not sign him outright since we have a roster spot with Tyler gone?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see, this is crazy to me. It isn't fiscally responsible to give a multiyear contract to a guy who signed a 10-day and has only appeared in ONE game for the club. That is ridiculous. At least try to see if he can be consistent or not.

He was signed to a 10-day! IF he was as good as you claim he is, why bother, why not sign him outright since we have a roster spot with Tyler gone?

There is not much risk if a team can sign a player on a multi-year contract for a small amount of money with team options. Granted we need to see more of Bolden but I hope the Suns look this direction if they like what they see. My guess the Suns will sign Bolden to a second 10 day contract if applicable and go from there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is not much risk if a team can sign a player on a multi-year contract for a small amount of money with team options. Granted we need to see more of Bolden but I hope the Suns look this direction if they like what they see. My guess the Suns will sign Bolden to a second 10 day contract if applicable and go from there.
That's exactly what they are going to do. My question to you, if none of his following performances match what he did in our first game with him, will you still be clamoring for him to sign a multiyear deal? Especially with all our injured players (sans 1) returning?

I also imagine that the salary on a 10-day is much less than that of any multiyear contract, even at the minimum.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what they are going to do. My question to you, if none of his following performances match what he did in our first game with him, will you still be clamoring for him to sign a multiyear deal? Especially with all our injured players (sans 1) returning?

I also imagine that the salary on a 10-day is much less than that of any multiyear contract, even at the minimum.

Of course if Bolden doesn't work out well with the Suns they should stick to the 10 day contracts. However, if he shows future potential I would hope they consider going the multi-year, team option route rather than let him hit the market again next season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course if Bolden doesn't work out well with the Suns they should stick to the 10 day contracts. However, if he shows future potential I would hope they consider going the multi-year, team option route rather than let him hit the market again next season.
Except that is not what you originally said. I will hand it to you, Main, you are much more positive about end of the bench players than just about anybody else. ;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that is not what you originally said. I will hand it to you, Main, you are much more positive about end of the bench players than just about anybody else. ;)

We had a similar discussion awhile back. The reason I get excited about end of the bench players is because they usually end up playing at some point in the season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Baynes and Saric are indeed back, you might be disappointed.

No I don't think so. Although I enjoy watching end of the bench players, I will enjoy it more in garbage time than prime time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Assuming we’ll be in a garbage time situation where we are winning...

There can also be garbage time when one is losing. Besides it may not always be garbage time when some of these deeper bench players get minutes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that Saric isn't in the starting lineup. Which also means not in the closing lineup when we're in the game.

For a big man, he is so nondescript. And inconsistent.

It will be interesting to see if Baynes can work his way to backup Center.

I think the Suns are set with Oubre and Bridges at the forwards. It will be interesting to see how the Suns use Baynes and Saric. My guess is they will be key reserves for now. However, if the Suns cannot make a playoff run, I can see them using them less towards season end. This is where Diallo and Bolden could get more minutes. Of course that's assuming the Suns keep Bolden.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton: Does it seem like he takes a while to recover? Or are we just holding him back since we are just about out of the playoffs and all-star break was coming? Or is it our shotty training staff? Thoughts...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton: Does it seem like he takes a while to recover? Or are we just holding him back since we are just about out of the playoffs and all-star break was coming? Or is it our shotty training staff? Thoughts...

I think he was ready to play the last game before the break - but why not give him 10 days off to fully recover. I have no problem with that decision especially because it was a game against GS which we won.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns are set with Oubre and Bridges at the forwards. It will be interesting to see how the Suns use Baynes and Saric. My guess is they will be key reserves for now. However, if the Suns cannot make a playoff run, I can see them using them less towards season end. This is where Diallo and Bolden could get more minutes. Of course that's assuming the Suns keep Bolden.
I think that Monty will do whatever he can to win as many games as he can, playoffs or not. This is no time to get into the "lets see what the young guys have" mode. We have been doing that far too long. How this team is playing at the end of the year will have an impact on its ability to draw free agents, even if they don't make the playoffs.

You want to be able to sell a free agent on the potential of this team. You do that by playing well and winning as many games as possible. This draft is not worth it anyway.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Monty will do whatever he can to win as many games as he can, playoffs or not. This is no time to get into the "lets see what the young guys have" mode. We have been doing that far too long. How this team is playing at the end of the year will have an impact on its ability to draw free agents, even if they don't make the playoffs.

You want to be able to sell a free agent on the potential of this team. You do that by playing well and winning as many games as possible. This draft is not worth it anyway.

No doubt Monty will try to win as many games as possible. We agree on this point.

However, if the Suns aren't positioned for a playoff spot as the season draws to a close, I have no problem giving players like Diallo and Bolden more minutes if they are not bringing veterans ahead of them back. I want to know what players have a future with the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges on what the Suns need from Ayton. This is so on target.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And despite this we still get shrinking Ayton.
A finesse Center. 'Puts up stats, but shies away from contact.

We had a right to expect that he would develop, but it sure looks like it is what it is.

It is not about what we say, but what we see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker continues his string of unimpressive games. and we're getting Ok-Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And despite this we still get shrinking Ayton.

There's three modes of DeAndre:

DeflAyton (first half tonight)
OkAyton (overall tonight)
DominAyton (every night in his head, every 4th night on the court)