Running back.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I really feel Drake is perfect for this team. Size, speed, blocking and can catch the ball.

All that being said, I’m preparing myself to see him decide to go somewhere else.

The list of F/A RB is not impressive.
Carlos Hyde...dinosaur
Lamar Miller... injuries
Isaiah Crowell...see Miller
Peyton Barber... uh, no
Henry... never gonna happen
Gordon....see Henry
Ekeler...RFA
Breida...not a true #1 RB
Jordan Howard...uh, no
Chris Thompson...uh, no

DeAndre Washington? He is young. He’s got good size. Low miles. Stats compare somewhat to pre-Cardinal Drake.

I know many of you will say just draft one but I really want us to use our 2nd rounder for defense. I’m also not crazy about a rookie stepping in and picking up all the nuances of our offense.

Drake is my guy. Love the Drake. But I really think he is headed out of town. I also think DJ is going to be put on Kliff to utilize him and MAKE him fit. I don’t like that. I can see us drafting a rb but we will have to overdraft to get the one we want.

If we head into the draft with just Edmonds and DJ it will scream to other teams to jump ahead of us in the draft if they see a RB they desire.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
Not a lot of teams need running backs so I don’t see anybody giving Drake a massive contract. I like him and think he’s a good back who seems to fit this offense extremely well. I’d actually be surprised if the Cardinals didn’t get a deal done with him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of teams need running backs so I don’t see anybody giving Drake a massive contract. I like him and think he’s a good back who seems to fit this offense extremely well. I’d actually be surprised if the Cardinals didn’t get a deal done with him.
agree. we are easily a top 5 fit for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm very comfortable with signing DeAndre Washington, especially since he played for Kliff. I'm sure you can get him for the kind of contract where he comes in and competes for a spot with a rookie. When I talk about drafting a rookie, I'm talking in the third round or after, ideally. So you draft a 3rd or 4th round guy to come in and compete, and don't break the bank. Then in 2021, you can either hit the reset button at the position, or see who developed.

Everyone knows how I feel about Drake, so I won't belabor the point - but I think if you're expecting him to produce as the #1 unquestioned RB over 16 games, you'll be sorely disappointed.

We shall see.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nfl network pointed out the Falcons might move on from Freeman and Drake would be a good fit. So with that in mind he could find a home.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very comfortable with signing DeAndre Washington, especially since he played for Kliff. I'm sure you can get him for the kind of contract where he comes in and competes for a spot with a rookie. When I talk about drafting a rookie, I'm talking in the third round or after, ideally. So you draft a 3rd or 4th round guy to come in and compete, and don't break the bank. Then in 2021, you can either hit the reset button at the position, or see who developed.

Everyone knows how I feel about Drake, so I won't belabor the point - but I think if you're expecting him to produce as the #1 unquestioned RB over 16 games, you'll be sorely disappointed.

We shall see.
I just don’t want to be counting on a rookie coming in here and we are forced to lean on him.

Here’s the other problem. Let’s assume Drake walks away. If we sign a guy like Washington our current backfield would be him, Edmonds and DJ. Drafting a rookie would give us 4 RB’s. We will never suit up 4 Rb’s for a game.

So either we find a way to move on from DJ.
We forego signing a free agent RB, or we don’t draft one.

Last edited:

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
Nfl network pointed out the Falcons might move on from Freeman and Drake would be a good fit. So with that in mind he could find a home.

I’m sure there’s a few teams out there that will take a look and try to get something done but I don’t believe it’s going to cost $6 million to bring him back. If the Cardinals want Drake they should be able to get a deal done.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

We shall see.
Yeah Deandre was the best RB kliff has ever had so I’m sure he would be open to bringing him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure there’s a few teams out there that will take a look and try to get something done but I don’t believe it’s going to cost $6 million to bring him back. If the Cardinals want Drake they should be able to get a deal done.
Trust me. I hope you’re right.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just don’t want to be counting on a rookie coming in here and we are forced to lean on him.

Here’s the other problem. Let’s assume Drake walks away. If we sign a guy like Washington our current backfield would be him, Edmonds and DJ. Drafting a rookie would give us 4 RB’s. We will never suit up 4 Rb’s for a game.

So either we find a way to move on from DJ.
We forego signing a free agent RB, or we don’t draft one.
We carried 4 RBs into the regular season out of training camp last year. And even if we don't, I have no problem releasing the loser of Edmonds/Washington. We won't suit up 4 RBs for a game, but it's not weird for a team to have 4 RBs.

Also, I am not counting on a rookie to be leaned on as the starter, I am counting on him as a complementary back.

I believe you are on the "we can't fix every hole in a year" crew (so am I, just slightly differently), and I believe RB is a position that you can fill every single year without too much of a problem. That's why I'm more than happy not to commit to Drake on a multi-year deal.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We carried 4 RBs into the regular season out of training camp last year. And even if we don't, I have no problem releasing the loser of Edmonds/Washington. We won't suit up 4 RBs for a game, but it's not weird for a team to have 4 RBs.

Also, I am not counting on a rookie to be leaned on as the starter, I am counting on him as a complementary back.

I believe you are on the "we can't fix every hole in a year" crew (so am I, just slightly differently), and I believe RB is a position that you can fill every single year without too much of a problem. That's why I'm more than happy not to commit to Drake on a multi-year deal.

No I am not on the we can fix every hole group. I’m in the group that realizes we may have to settle for Reddick as our OLB but that doesn’t mean we can’t sign a DE, DT and or ILB to plug some of the holes we have.
I believe we can fill enough holes in F/A and the draft tobecome more competitive. I DO NOT want to see 3 or 4 often injured one year prove it deals. Philon really screwed us last year because he was young enough to be here for the next 3-4 years. Now we are looking to fill that need again.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Keim has a number and Drake can either take it or test FA. If he circles back the number will be less.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No I am not on the we can fix every hole group. I’m in the group that realizes we may have to settle for Reddick as our OLB but that doesn’t mean we can’t sign a DE, DT and or ILB to plug some of the holes we have.
I believe we can fill enough holes in F/A and the draft tobecome more competitive. I DO NOT want to see 3 or 4 often injured one year prove it deals. Philon really screwed us last year because he was young enough to be here for the next 3-4 years. Now we are looking to fill that need again.
I'm just wondering where you're getting the money. Hump's contract is pushing us into the the $37m area, then the rookie cap pushes us sub-$30m, and we have to pay a RT & K even to bring back last year's guys.

It's so much more than just defensive holes.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, I really feel Drake is perfect for this team. Size, speed, blocking and can catch the ball.

DeAndre Washington? He is young. He’s got good size. Low miles. Stats compare somewhat to pre-Cardinal Drake.
He is a lot smaller than Drake. This is from his scouting report from the combine.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/deandre-washington?id=2555464

WEAKNESSES
Overall size will be a challenging obstacle to conquer. Predictably small hands may have lead to issues with drops and fumbles. Showed inconsistency and lack of discipline with his run path at times. More straight-line quick and shifty in space. Vision is nothing special and is often late making necessary reads and cuts. Too small to pick up blitzing linebackers in NFL

Just to keep it fair, here is Drake's.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kenyan-drake?id=2555230

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pay Drake 5 mill, resign our RT & K, and you've still got about 20 mill to mess around with on defense, +/- 3 mill

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering where you're getting the money. Hump's contract is pushing us into the the $37m area, then the rookie cap pushes us sub-$30m, and we have to pay a RT & K even to bring back last year's guys.

It's so much more than just defensive holes.
I understand we don’t have an unlimited budget. I’m not sure what it will cost to bring Hundley, Gonzales, Gunther, Drake ( or) and whoever else we want back. However I don’t see it eating up 30m. Plus I believe we will see some restructures. Yes signing a couple of free agents on the defensive side of the ball will need a little creativity and guaranteed money.

But if you’re signing a guy or two that is 26/27 years old you’d like to think that player(s) will be productive here for the next 4 years.

im not getting what direction you want us to go?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a lot smaller than Drake. This is from his scouting report from the combine.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/deandre-washington?id=2555464

WEAKNESSES
Overall size will be a challenging obstacle to conquer. Predictably small hands may have lead to issues with drops and fumbles. Showed inconsistency and lack of discipline with his run path at times. More straight-line quick and shifty in space. Vision is nothing special and is often late making necessary reads and cuts. Too small to pick up blitzing linebackers in NFL

Just to keep it fair, here is Drake's.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kenyan-drake?id=2555230
I get it Reddog. I want Drake. I’m trying to scour the landscape of who could replace him. I love Edmonds too. If Drake walks I dread the thought of just Edmonds and DJ. It’s funny how so many people here think it’s simple to replace him. It doesn’t appear to be in free agency. The “ You can get Moss in the 5th round” does not guarantee he will be there. We need three solid running backs. I’m alright if DJ is one of them. I think Drake, Edmonds and DJ is pretty damn formidable.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand we don’t have an unlimited budget. I’m not sure what it will cost to bring Hundley, Gonzales, Gunther, Drake ( or) and whoever else we want back. However I don’t see it eating up 30m. Plus I believe we will see some restructures. Yes signing a couple of free agents on the defensive side of the ball will need a little creativity and guaranteed money.

But if you’re signing a guy or two that is 26/27 years old you’d like to think that player(s) will be productive here for the next 4 years.

I’m not trying to speak for him but it sounds as if he would like this team to try to fill every position on the team with a player who isn’t a street free agent or backup. I agree with him to a point but I also believe that you have to take chances and try to bring in as much talent as you possibly can if you have that opportunity. So I would be in favor of drafting Okudah if he happened to fall to 8 even if it means passing on a player that fills an immediate need. I would also be in favor of bringing Diggs and his salary onboard if the price is right.

I’m not sure what the Cardinals expectations are for the upcoming season but I would imagine it’s continuing to develop Murray and trying to improve on last years win total. I believe 2021 is the year this franchise has plans for a big step forward and hopefully a deep playoff run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Drake stays. I just don't see a huge RB market out there. Not that's going to pay him more.
I hope you are right. It’s hard to imagine letting any pieces go that would weaken the offense for Kyler. That’s why I’m pretty sure Lamb is our guy and we go defense in free agency and the rest of the draft.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not trying to speak for him but it sounds as if he would like this team to try to fill every position on the team with a player who isn’t a street free agent or backup. I agree with him to a point but I also believe that you have to take chances and try to bring in as much talent as you possibly can if you have that opportunity. So I would be in favor of drafting Okudah if he happened to fall to 8 even if it means passing on a player that fills an immediate need. I would also be in favor of bring Diggs and his salary onboard if the price is right.

I’m not sure what the Cardinals expectations are for the upcoming season but I would imagine it’s continuing to develop Murray and trying to improve on last years win total. I believe 2021 is the year this franchise has plans for a big step forward and hopefully a deep playoff run.
I have to disagree with you. Not only would Diggs eat a huge portion of the remaining cap but he would cost us draft picks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope you are right. It’s hard to imagine letting any pieces go that would weaken the offense for Kyler. That’s why I’m pretty sure Lamb is our guy and we go defense in free agency and the rest of the draft.

Which teams 100% need an RB1?

Titans but I'm sure they bring Henry back
Dolphins

Who else?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I mentioned above rumors have it the Falcon could cut Freeman and save 9 m allowing to bring in Drake.

OK add Falcons but they have no cap space. Will be draft for them.

Anyone else?

I don't consider the Texans a certain option. They traded a 3rd for Duke and they aren't a big running team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

@Frank got it pretty close to right. Here's what I want to do:

- Bring back Gonzalez, one of Murray or Gilbert on a one-year deal, same thing with Cassius Marsh and Rodney Gunter, but I'm open to two-year deals with them. I think the totality of these moves can be done for around $7-$8m.

- Sign one reasonably high-tier FA at a position where we have a glaring, zero-starter hole. DE is probably my main focus on spending first, but let's make this flexible. This guy comes in with a larger cap hit that probably gets us to having about $10-$15m left.

- Sign a couple (2-3) mid-tier FAs at the other positions where we have holes. Maybe 1-2 borderline backups with potential to start or rotate. Guys who will hold down the fort at the position if we can't upgrade in the draft, but don't prevent us from drafting a DL, ILB, OT, OLB, WR to upgrade. By this point, I feel like we'll have come close to all of the cap money we can reasonably spend until post-draft..

- In the draft, now we probably have some holes but are hopefully not pressured to take a guy solely for need at #8. I'd love an OT, Simmons, Brown/Kinlaw, Lamb/Jeudy, these guys all fit a need and represent upgrades. Same with round 2, need is now not a major issue and we can pick BPA on a team that can upgrade in many spots. Third/Fourth RB, as I've mentioned.

But this is all going to fit very tightly. We need backups and camp bodies too, which will probably eat up $5m or so itself.

This is all why I don't see how Drake fits. Even worse with a Diggs, and tough with an Okudah when we might not have resolved all of the holes.