Other than gm/head coach. Running back

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll confess I don’t watch much college football so I really come here for insight on players entering the 2023 draft.

Through the year we all were frustrated with a plodding back like Conner. I think Conner can be an effective part of the offense. However.

We need a running back that brings a true big play threat. Where do we get him. I know it’s not popular to think about drafting a rb very high and not suggesting we do. Is the 2nd round too high? Will there be the type of back we need in round 3? Is there a free agent out there?

Even with this o-line there were a lot of yards left out there with Conner and his lack of speed. When you have a guy like Kamara, Cook, Ekeler or Jones it commands a defenses attention.

It is definitely a weakness. How do we fix it?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Slan - Just draft according to BPA (or a modified version of same). If RB talent is available, acquire him if the price is right.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry, where do we get a running back? I don’t see us signing big name 12m per year free agent guy. But we have to do something.
Any mid to late round picks that would fill the bill?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Running back should be about 15th on our list of needs.

Quite frankly we can get by with the likes of Corey Clemet and be ok. It just should not be a priority at all.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running back should be about 15th on our list of needs.

Quite frankly we can get by with the likes of Corey Clemet and be ok. It just should not be a priority at all.
I respect your opinion but we can’t just stand pat with this running back room.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but we can’t just stand pat with this running back room.
Gio Bernard if we’re not chasing comp picks (dunno how we won’t try; but that means not really building a roster until March—yikes).

There are a handful of fine one-year veterans and there will be a group of undifferentiated draft prospects and they’ll all produce as much as the OL in front of them allows.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This years FA running back class is STACKED. Tons of players to choose from. Should be able to snag a great deal on a complement to Conner.

Josh Jacobs
Alexander Mattison
Saquon Barkley
Miles Sanders
David Montgomery
Devin Singletary
Damien Harris
Tony Pollard
Rashaad Penny
D'Onta Foreman
Kareem Hunt
Jeff Wilson
Matt Breida

are just a few of the bigger names who are still under 28 years old. There are a ton of lesser names available as well that won't cost as much. Plus a bunch of 29 and older RBs that could be had for super cheap.

Last edited:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Getting a speed back that can break one is needed. Conner should be the hammer in this offense, someone else to provide that much needed burst of speed.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This years FA running back class is STACKED. Tons of players to choose from. Should be able to snag a great deal on a complement to Conner.

Josh Jacobs
Alexander Mattison
Saquon Barkley
Miles Sanders
David Montgomery
Devin Singletary
Damien Harris
Tony Pollard
Rashaad Penny
D'Onta Foreman
Kareem Hunt
Jeff Wilson
Matt Breida

are just a few of the bigger names who are still under 28 years old. There are a ton of lesser names available as well that won't cost as much. Plus a bunch of 29 and older RBs that could be had for super cheap.
Some of the names on this list will command some big $$$.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jahmyr Biggs would be a home run hitter but at what price? He would add a huge void in this offense. His threat would make Kyler and our offensive line better.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jahmyr Biggs would be a home run hitter but at what price? He would add a huge void in this offense. His threat would make Kyler and our offensive line better.

Gibbs could be had in the 2nd round and is a Kamara type RB. If SP is hired as the HC I think Gibbs would be an interesting pick for him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
due to our draft position we should have options. our round 3 pick is essentially a late 2nd...or we might be able to even steal a guy in 4

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gibbs could be had in the 2nd round and is a Kamara type RB. If SP is hired as the HC I think Gibbs would be an interesting pick for him.
I wouldnt use our 2 on a RB this year unless somehow Robinson fell out of the first.at pick 35 there will be several guys who should have went in the first but slid because somebody reached for an OT or a QB or something.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
due to our draft position we should have options. our round 3 pick is essentially a late 2nd...or we might be able to even steal a guy in 4
Yes but who? We need a big play threat but we don’t want a 5’9” 185 lb. Nor do we want a 6’2” thumper either.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes but who? We need a big play threat but we don’t want a 5’9” 185 lb. Nor do we want a 6’2” thumper either.
lol... there is a 5;8 220 guy this year...small but effective... that kid from ucla could be an option too, good size but with speed.

this guy is an every down back
You must be registered for see images
Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2023): 2-3.
View Ranking History

12/31/22: This season, Charbonnet has recorded 195 carries in 2022 for 1,359 yards - a 7.0-yard average - and 14 touchdowns. He also has caught 37 passes for 321 yards. Charbonnet is a quick back with good size who runs hard and picks up yards after contact. He could be an effective three-down starter in the NFL.
this guy is compact but strong... tore his meniscus so he may slide.. but its an easy injury to come back from
You must be registered for see images
Blake Corum*, RB, Michigan
Height: 5-8. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2023): 2-3.
View Ranking History

12/31/22: Corum was a tough runner and point producer for the Wolverines this season. As a downhill runner, he shows good strength to make tackles with contact balance and an ability to pick up yards after contact. In 2022, Corum averaged 5.9 yards per carry for 1,463 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also had five receptions for 73 yards. Corum suffered a meniscus tear late in the season, which caused him to miss the end of the year. Some NFL sources told WalterFootball.com that they see Corum possessing potential for Day 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft.

we could get the first guy with our third and the second guy possibly with our 4th

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave