Would you trade for Stefon Diggs?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note that I said cheap young talent.

We need to hit on draft picks, not trade picks for players who are then going to want a new deal either immediately or in short order.

I don't even want a WR in round 1, but I'm taking one right now comparatively knowing that we're essentialy "up against the cap" a month before free agency already begins. We're all doing mental hurdles to figure out how many players we can actually bring in to fill the litany of holes we currently have.
We need to hit on great players.

Diggs is a great player.

Boom.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the moves that make teams a contender.

No, these are moves that makes a playoff team a contender.

We aren't a playoff team. We are pretty far away from that even at the moment. Acquiring Diggs isn't suddenly going to make us compete for the NFC West.

I like Diggs, but if your WR1 only averages 66 yard per game, how much is he really going to move the needle?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We need to hit on great players.

Diggs is a great player.

Boom.
We also need to hit on players that fill the belly of this team without breaking the bank. This team doesn't have starters OR depth. We can't afford to give away picks anymore.

This team has wasted so many picks that we can't afford to be like other teams. We're drafting on average one starting player a year for the past four years, and cutting or burying significant amounts of picks that are never contributing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly the going rate for WR1 is $20m. So $14m is certainly a bargain.

But his cap hit wouldn't be $14.4m. It would be $11m as I explained, because he's already been paid $3m of that money in signing bonus.

How do we fit another 11m into our cap as is?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reading this just reinforces my hopes and dreams that Butler is everything we hope he is. Other than that, I would kill to have Diggs, and that kind of speed on this team. Speed that actually produces.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also need to hit on players that fill the belly of this team without breaking the bank. This team doesn't have starters OR depth. We can't afford to give away picks anymore.

This team has wasted so many picks that we can't afford to be like other teams. We're drafting on average one starting player a year for the past four years, and cutting or burying significant amounts of picks that are never contributing.

To counter my own argument, maybe it is time we start trading away most of our picks for players, as we can't draft to save our lives.... If we only had 80m in cap space...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. This isn't a new topic on this board, not sure if you were here when it was originally discussed in-season. Ideally we would offer a 2021 1st or a 2020 2nd at best. I don't see the value the #8 pick unless it was a swapping of 2020 1st rounders + Diggs.

The best part of this move is that the Vikings are in a bind. They have little cap space. They have several internal FAs they want to sign. Needs on the offensive line. He has a larger contract that someone will have to take on. It is a WR heavy draft. I really do believe if the Cardinals offered a 2020 2nd or a 2021 1st, the Vikings would jump on it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

We aren't a playoff team. We are pretty far away from that even at the moment. Acquiring Diggs isn't suddenly going to make us compete for the NFC West.

I like Diggs, but if your WR1 only averages 66 yard per game, how much is he really going to move the needle?
Diggs is a great route runner. Diggs is a vertical threat which means he creates space underneath. Diggs can make plays in space. He is tailor-made for this type of offense.

It is these types of moves that accelerates a team's competitive time-table and takes advantage of a QB on a rookie deal.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To counter my own argument, maybe it is time we start trading away most of our picks for players, as we can't draft to save our lives.... If we only had 80m in cap space...
Yeah, that's the thing. We just can't afford it. We have $30 million and we still don't have a starting C, RT, DE (maybe x2), OLB, or ILB on this roster.

That's so much to try to fill before we're adding a WR and paying them, especially after spending four picks on WRs in the past two years that would now rarely see the field.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That projected $80 million disappeared in a hurry.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Diggs splits targets with Thielen and Cook, and Minny also has an above average TE in Rudolph, so 66 ypg is actually pretty good considering Cousins' many options in the passing game.

Diggs comes in and is automatically WR1 in this offense. His speed and separation would make a world of difference in this offense. Would also take attention away from Kirk and Fitz.

The division is tough, which means that rather than accept the status quo, Keim has to be aggressive and take chance. In this case, even if you have to trade high end draft picks, it's worth it to bolster the offense. It's a large piece of the puzzle.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Diggs splits targets with Thielen and Cook, and Minny also has an above average TE in Rudolph, so 66 ypg is actually pretty good considering Cousins' many options in the passing game.

Diggs comes in and is automatically WR1 in this offense. His speed and separation would make a world of difference in this offense. Would also take attention away from Kirk and Fitz.

The division is tough, which means that rather than accept the status quo, Keim has to be aggressive and take chance. In this case, even if you have to trade high end draft picks, it's worth it to bolster the offense. It's a large piece of the puzzle.
Or, build a sustainable, financially stable team for the future instead of tossing away draft picks in a futile effort to make a big move...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Or, build a sustainable, financially stable team for the future instead of tossing away draft picks in a futile effort to make a big move...

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. With Diggs, we know we have a productive WR in the fold. Lamb or Jeudy could very well be Carlos Rodgers

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. With Diggs, we know we have a productive WR in the fold. Lamb or Jeudy could very well be Carlos Rodgers

Diggs could come here and become Bryant Johnson.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd take diggs with a 2nd and still draft lamb/jeudy first

That's a playoff team

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The #8 pick is going to cost us $4.5m and some people want that to be a WR.

I'd take $11m for a proven 26 year outside deep threat for 4 more years than $4.5m on a shot in the dark that has about a 50% bust rate.

Makes sense if we approach this draft with a defensive mindset and use free agency for the offense but one cannot keep approaching the draft and building a team by spending large amounts on free agents or especially draft position unless you think you have a shot at a championship with a final piece for a whole already intact. There is no compensation for bad drafting and expecting to win. Yeah, Keim is going to have to draft better or we will not win anything by blowing cap space while having a rookie QB on a cap friendly contract. You develop your own stars when you can, and then every so often take advantage of acquiring a guy like Chandler Jones at a position which is more difficult to fill, which WR is not... though I would take Diggs over Amari Cooper all day

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s kind of a malcontent... I’m with Chris for nothing more then a 3rd max

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sure, a productive player, but with garbage on defense and wasted picks for yet another draft.

What is the solution on defense if we pay Diggs 50% of our remaining cap AND lose a top pick? Or at C? Or RT? Kicker? Is this also factoring in retaining Kenyan Drake?

Right now we'd be counting on guys on futures contracts to be starters.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Clear BPA: Young/Simmons/Okudah
Shore up RT: Thomas/Wills/Wirfs
Beast mode ish: Kinlaw

This is beginning to become a very static list for me. The combine may move things around a bit.... but not a ton I think.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Clear BPA: Young/Simmons/Okudah
Shore up RT: Thomas/Wills/Wirfs
Beast mode ish: Kinlaw

This is beginning to become a very static list for me. The combine may move things around a bit.... but not a ton I think.
the combine always changes everything

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
the combine always changes everything

Meh.... not as much at these positions.

I need to see the OT's go through their paces, Okudah's 40yd dash and how insane Young, Simmons and Kinlaw test.

That's about it at this point.

The WR's will be fun but the top of the group is pretty much set. Can Jeudy & Ruggs break some records? Can Lamb keep up athletically?

Time will tell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard