Would you trade for Stefon Diggs?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the moment the Vikings at $11m over the cap and Stefon Diggs is not happy. The most likely outcome of these two events is that the Vikings trade him.

Diggs is 26 years old. Has two consecutive 1000+ yard seasons and wasn't far off the 2 years before that. He averages 66 yards per game.

His contract is only $14.4m average salary but he already had $15m of that in signing bonus that the Vikings own. His yearly cap hit to a trading team would be around $11m give or take I think and he is under contract until after 2023. That's a cheap deal.

Would you trade for Diggs? If so what what you give? Or what do you think he will cost?

(I personally think the Bills trade for him but lets play along)

My opinion, with that contract he's worth a 1st round pick without question. At his age, with his numbers and that price tag it's a no brainer. But the #8 is too high. I'd give a 2021 1st for him in the hope that's a mid round pick at worst.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It would have to be our 2.

Problem is..... it would cost us roughly 10mm more in cap space.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe we are quite in that position cap wise or competitively yet to go trading draft picks.

If we were a playoff team lacking a Wr then I could see it. I could see teams like the 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys doing something like that.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would have to be our 2.

Problem is..... it would cost us roughly 10mm more in cap space.

The #8 pick is going to cost us $4.5m and some people want that to be a WR.

I'd take $11m for a proven 26 year outside deep threat for 4 more years than $4.5m on a shot in the dark that has about a 50% bust rate.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t believe we are quite in that position cap wise or competitively yet to go trading draft picks.

If we were a playoff team lacking a Wr then I could see it. I could see teams like the 49ers, Eagles or Cowboys doing something like that.

You're looking at the long term investment here though. 4 years of a proven outside threat at only $11m is a steal. It's the equivalent of signing Ronnie Stanley for $10m.

I think a 2021 draft pick would be fair considering what you say, that right now we arent in that position.

(All this is a pipe dream. There would be a bidding war for Diggs and someone like the Bills who don't need a huge number of draft picks could easily give this years 1st and 3rd)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The #8 pick is going to cost us $4.5m and some people want that to be a WR.

I'd take $11m for a proven 26 year outside deep threat for 4 more years than $4.5m on a shot in the dark that has about a 50% bust rate.
Although what you say makes sense in principal. He would not be making the same number Fitz makes. He would be making 10mm more that that 4.5mm number IMO. That's what I was meaning.

His cap hit in 2020 is 14.5mm
2021 & 2022: 15mm
2023: 12mm

It would certainly take a 1st rounder to get him with that deal already on the books and I would be much more inclined to offer next year's #1 hoping they would take the gamble that our record keeps us in the 10 to 15 range.

This year's would be off the table IMO.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although what you say makes sense in principal. He would not be making the same number Fitz makes. He would be making 10mm more that that 4.5mm number IMO. That's what I was meaning.

His cap hit in 2020 is 14.5mm
2021 & 2022: 15mm
2023: 12mm

It would certainly take a 1st rounder to get him with that deal already on the books and I would be much more inclined to offer next year's #1 hoping they would take the gamble that our record keeps us in the 10 to 15 range.

This year's would be off the table IMO.

Part of that money is signing bonus that has already been paid to him by the Vikings.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see us having the money. I'll pass here. The team needs cheap young talent that's cost controlled more than anything. Diggs isn't going to make up for the lack of defense or add that many more wins.

Hump is a young tackle at 26 buy Diggs isn't young at.....also 26?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Offensive lineman typically have longer careers than WR, but 26 isn't old.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How is 14.4m a bargain contract?

It's $11.4 M per year because his bonus gets accelerated. Also, there's no guarantees left (MN takes them all), so if he doesn't work out, you can cut bait on him with no consequences.

And because there's no current dead money on the contract, if you need to you can guarantee a portion of his contract (as a signing bonus) to create additional cap room.

That additional $5 million in salary hedges against bust risk and against guaranteed money risk that you'd have with a draft pick.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Note that I said cheap young talent.

We need to hit on draft picks, not trade picks for players who are then going to want a new deal either immediately or in short order.

I don't even want a WR in round 1, but I'm taking one right now comparatively knowing that we're essentialy "up against the cap" a month before free agency already begins. We're all doing mental hurdles to figure out how many players we can actually bring in to fill the litany of holes we currently have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard