The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the impetus for improvement. I think NBA officiating has long been in need of an overhaul, incorporating technology to better ensure accuracy and impartiality.

Also reviewing some plays and not others is ridiculous. If the referees are unsure, review it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but that would require a rule change. The referees can review a goal tend call but they cannot review a play to see if they should have called one.

Great to see you posting!

It's a rule that should be changed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ to the Lakers. Watch.

I think he goes back to Miami. They traded a few guards away while acquiring forwards like Iggy and Crowder. I know those guys are wings, kind of, but they aren't playing SG at their age. They could probably use him and he has a history there.

I read something that the Lakers were going to sign JR Smith. Seems they want a more proven scorer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he goes back to Miami. They traded a few guards away while acquiring forwards like Iggy and Crowder. I know those guys are wings, kind of, but they aren't playing SG at their age. They could probably use him and he has a history there.

I read something that the Lakers were going to sign JR Smith. Seems they want a more proven scorer.
Why would they want JR Smith? He is not a smart man.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would they want JR Smith? He is not a smart man.

I wondered the same thing. Potential scapegoat? If you google "JR Smith Lakers" you'll get a ton of stuff back but it seems the main person who broke the story of him working out for them is trying to get credit right now and that dominates the first couple of results. Here's a piece talking about how he'll get an "audition" with them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...out-remain-favorites-to-sign-darren-collison/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JR Smith? The same JR Smith who dribbled the wrong way and blew the Cavs chance to beat Golden State in game 1 a few years back? The same JR Smith who is made something like 36% of his shot attempts the last few years? The same JR Smith who's on court off court splits make is seem as though he is taking mafia money to blow games?

Yes Lakers, please, sign the guy... like now. I want to see him play 40 minutes tonight against us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TWolves give up 137 points in Russell's debut. Russell was a -22 on the night.

I am glad we didn't go for him. I feel like Minnesota has locked themselves into being pretty lousy for the foreseeable future. The pick the Warriors got is gold.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA moves can happen fairly quickly.

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Former Hornets forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has agreed to sign with the Mavericks, sources tell @wojespn and me. Dallas has to waive a player to create an open roster spot before making the move official.

8:40 PM - 10 Feb 2020

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

Source: The Mavs released SG Ryan Broekhoff to create a roster spot for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Broekhoff shot 40.3% from 3-point range in 59 games over two seasons with the Mavs.

9:10 PM - 10 Feb 2020

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TWolves give up 137 points in Russell's debut. Russell was a -22 on the night.

I am glad we didn't go for him. I feel like Minnesota has locked themselves into being pretty lousy for the foreseeable future. The pick the Warriors got is gold.
I do not see the DAR KAT thing working. When NBA execs start letting 23 year old players put together buddy teams, those execs are in trouble. Defense and winning will be problems in Minny. Meanwhile watch Wiggins flourish in GS. The Warriors took a FA signing and turned it into a player and a great pick. Brilliant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not see the DAR KAT thing working. When NBA execs start letting 23 year old players put together buddy teams, those execs are in trouble. Defense and winning will be problems in Minny. Meanwhile watch Wiggins flourish in GS. The Warriors took a FA signing and turned it into a player and a great pick. Brilliant.

Russell ended up in Golden State as a sign and trade with KD. He was a free agent but it was more complex than a simple signing. They wanted the salary, basically, from KD's departure, to to use in a trade elsewhere. They were already in luxury tax territory and didn't mind staying there. That wouldn't have happened if they let KD walk without getting any in return.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russell ended up in Golden State as a sign and trade with KD. He was a free agent but it was more complex than a simple signing. They wanted the salary, basically, from KD's departure, to to use in a trade elsewhere. They were already in luxury tax territory and didn't mind staying there. That wouldn't have happened if they let KD walk without getting any in return.

ONly watched the first half but Wiggins was terrible last night in the first half. 2nd half the Warriors made it closer so the plus minus numbers look bizarre, Heat starters mostly big minus, Warrior bench huge minuses. Wiggins has a long ways to go admittedly with so many new guys the Warriors were in disarray but the Heat just got open 3's and layups the whole first half and multiple times exploited Wiggins on switches with Adebayo either posting him up or back cutting and lobbing for the dunk. Weird lineup starting Chriss, Draymond, Wiggins, Lee and Bowman so basically playing 1 guard. He apparently had a much better 2nd half but they were down 19 at the half, had a big 3rd to get within 8 and then never really got closer looking at the box.

I wish they had gotten a better player than Wiggins, the pick is the key to the deal I'm hoping it winds up a really high pick in the right draft.

Weird watching Iggy in another jersey, looks to be in great shape.

Spoelstra is a really good coach, that kid Duncan Robinson is unreal, over 80% of his shots this year are 3's, NBA record for a guy with more than 400 attempts.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see how he holds up over time with that body but Zion is absolutely making a difference for the Pelicans now. 5-4 in the games he's played including losses to Milwaukee, Houston and Denver, the team is averaging over 120 PPG since he got in the lineup. Defense still a work in progress they're -1.5 BPM defensively but he makes their offense better and he's not even playing starters minutes yet and still shaking the rust off. First game went 4-4 on threes, I posted he won't do that again, he's 0-6 since then in the last 8 games, but again he's only taken 6 in 8 games, he's smart enough to know that 4-4 was a fluke.

58% from the floor and I think that's going up he's starting to figure things out , even at this level he can just physically move defenders with a bump and finish over them.

Pretty interesting team, you can argue that maybe it would better they don't make the playoffs and do well in the lottery. They have their own pick, they get the Cavs pick if not in the top 10. 2020 is not a great draft but if they can add another piece or 2 or use pieces to get something in return they could be interesting.

Zion is a star if he can stay healthy, Ingram is very good. Of course the problem is Jrue probably doesn't intend to stay longterm, has 2 years left, and I doubt Redick intends to stay long term either but if they were all back next year healthy it's suddenly an intriguing team. Small team, if Jaxson Hayes continues to develop he could be the 5, right now they play lots of 3 and even 4 guards.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Interesting to see how he holds up over time with that body but Zion is absolutely making a difference for the Pelicans now. 5-4 in the games he's played including losses to Milwaukee, Houston and Denver, the team is averaging over 120 PPG since he got in the lineup. Defense still a work in progress they're -1.5 BPM defensively but he makes their offense better and he's not even playing starters minutes yet and still shaking the rust off. First game went 4-4 on threes, I posted he won't do that again, he's 0-6 since then in the last 8 games, but again he's only taken 6 in 8 games, he's smart enough to know that 4-4 was a fluke.

58% from the floor and I think that's going up he's starting to figure things out , even at this level he can just physically move defenders with a bump and finish over them.

Pretty interesting team, you can argue that maybe it would better they don't make the playoffs and do well in the lottery. They have their own pick, they get the Cavs pick if not in the top 10. 2020 is not a great draft but if they can add another piece or 2 or use pieces to get something in return they could be interesting.

Zion is a star if he can stay healthy, Ingram is very good. Of course the problem is Jrue probably doesn't intend to stay longterm, has 2 years left, and I doubt Redick intends to stay long term either but if they were all back next year healthy it's suddenly an intriguing team. Small team, if Jaxson Hayes continues to develop he could be the 5, right now they play lots of 3 and even 4 guards.

His touch around the rim is incredible for how hard and fast he attacks the paint. That’s something I noticed at Duke and thought it’s what made him different (besides the all-world explosiveness of course). It still looks like he could shave off 15lbs though. #bodyshaming

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His touch around the rim is incredible for how hard and fast he attacks the paint. That’s something I noticed at Duke and thought it’s what made him different (besides the all-world explosiveness of course). It still looks like he could shave off 15lbs though. #bodyshaming

Great point it's amazing as you said how strong he goes up and then has touch on the shot.

I still think he's going to have a short career he just is so big and he still has that odd gait like an old man, but man he really is good and you can see he's going to get much better. per minute his scoring as a rookie is really impressive. It is not a coincidence that the last 10 games Lonzo Ball has been really good(for him) he's at almost 45% overall 33 from 3, 11, 8 and 8 in Feb(with Zion) and if you add in January, his last 20 games about 12PPG and 8.5 APG. He was playing quite well before Zion got back but has been more efficient with Zion, taking less shots, making a higher %. All of a sudden they have a budding star in Zion, two really good players in Ingram and Jrue and Lonzo is playing the best ball of his career. They look very much like a playoff team right now even if they don't actually wind up in the playoffs.