Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Baynes plans to play in the 2020 Olympics that would be a concern in bringing him back. I'm sort of hoping for a trade.

That's a lot of grind on his body to play in the NBA (2018-19), World Cup (2019), NBA (2019-20), Olympics (2020) and the NBA (2020-21).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not think I would. Ayton might not have Towns' upside, but he is already better defensively.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. Just what I believe.

On another note.

Would any of you trade Ayton for KAT now?

Umm. Maybe.

I don’t want to, because I just don’t like watching his game compared to ayton - at least when ayton is engaged.

But - if I knew it would make Devin happy long term I would have to.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

well that is interesting, but Ayton is still younger than most of those listed - in fact I think he is still 20 so he is younger than all of them.

I think he will end the season around 20/11.

You do have to factor in the 30 missed games, and the fact he is the number 2, not number 1 option on the team as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s interesting. The only ones that really track closely are Elmore smith, Gus Johnson, and a tic behind Barkley and Spencer Haywood. Everyone else either far out scores him or is jerry Lucas averaging 20 rebounds per.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well that is interesting, but Ayton is still younger than most of those listed - in fact I think he is still 20 so he is younger than all of them.

You do have to factor in the 30 missed games, and the fact he is the number 2, not number 1 option on the team as well.
But even as the number 2 option, on this team where there aren’t a lot of other scorers, he should receive more than enough shots to average 25 pts. There’s only one other consistent scorer in oubre.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton turned 21 six months ago. KAT and Shaq were both 21 in their second seasons as well, with Kat actually three months younger than Ayton in his second year when he made the huge jump and Shaq was a couple months older during his second year.

if he averages 20/12 by season's end and keeps playing good D, that'll be solid improvement.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With KAT, it has to be noted that he is absolute garbage on defense and, by many accounts, doesn't seem to give a crap.

I saw the other night that the Wolves have lost their last 14 games that KAT has played in.

I don't care how many points KAT is putting up so far this year, the Ayton we've seen so far this season is a more impactful player by a decent margin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With KAT, it has to be noted that he is absolute garbage on defense and, by many accounts, doesn't seem to give a crap.

I saw the other night that the Wolves have lost their last 14 games that KAT has played in.

I don't care how many points KAT is putting up so far this year, the Ayton we've seen so far this season is a more impactful player by a decent margin.
Sometimes

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton is 21 and turns 22 in July. I too think he will be a double digit scorer and rebounder as he matures.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting. The only ones that really track closely are Elmore smith, Gus Johnson, and a tic behind Barkley and Spencer Haywood. Everyone else either far out scores him or is jerry Lucas averaging 20 rebounds per.

I think it's hard to project Ayton's stats long term. He started basketball late and he is still learning the game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think it's hard to project Ayton's stats long term. He started basketball late and he is still learning the game.

In the last five or six games he played extremely well and was very aggressive in three of them. If he can play like that more consistently, his stats are going to be insane. When he is aggressive, when he goes after the offensive boards, when he rolls to the rim, when he takes the ball to the hoop, he is unstoppable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the last five or six games he played extremely well and was very aggressive in three of them. If he can play like that more consistently, his stats are going to be insane. When he is aggressive, when he goes after the offensive boards, when he rolls to the rim, when he takes the ball to the hoop, he is unstoppable.

Ayton can still be that dream center everyone wants and offensively maybe even better.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
No, but I was never in that camp anyway. This board seriously overrates Towns.

Pretty much this...

Ayton is still a work in progress. There are no guarantees, of course, but his game is still showing potential of going up another level.

KAT on the other hand, is pretty much now what he is ever going to be. He's a nice player... with a lot of flaws that will probably always limit his overall impact. I don't think there is any chance for another dimension to his competitiveness or production, whereas with Ayton we just don't know yet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much this...

Ayton is still a work in progress. There are no guarantees, of course, but his game is still showing potential of going up another level.

KAT on the other hand, is pretty much now what he is ever going to be. He's a nice player... with a lot of flaws that will probably always limit his overall impact. I don't think there is any chance for another dimension to his competitiveness or production, whereas with Ayton we just don't know yet.
I think we are understating Ayton a little bit here. If his last 10 games are characteristic of his entire career, offense and defense—he is an all-star at least and would be all-nba at some point depending on team success.

the question is whether he can keep it up and develop a bit more consistency.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are understating Ayton a little bit here. If his last 10 games are characteristic of his entire career, offense and defense—he is an all-star at least and would be all-nba at some point depending on team success.

the question is whether he can keep it up and develop a bit more consistency.

i don’t really even think that is a question.

the last game was virtually the first time he has shown any aggression.

logic would dictate we are going to see more of that, because that is natural in the development of big men.

lf he never develops his game an iota beyond what it is now he is still an all star if he puts out the effort.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don’t really even think that is a question.

the last game was virtually the first time he has shown any aggression.

logic would dictate we are going to see more of that, because that is natural in the development of big men.

lf he never develops his game an iota beyond what it is now he is still an all star if he puts out the effort.
I think we have been seeing aggression since the Knicks game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have been seeing aggression since the Knicks game.

You and I must have different views on aggression.

I want him to actively go to the basket when he has an open shot - Bang into people.

Last game is the only game I have seen him do that multiple times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says he is seeing an edge from Ty Jerome.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Monty said he’s seeing the edge now from Ty Jerome that wasn’t there when he was struggling. Said it was something they talked about a lot.

4:21 PM - 31 Jan 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This remark is not overly encouraging regarding Cam, Baynes and Kaminsky.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Monty was asked if there’s a light at the end of the tunnel with Cam/Baynes/Kaminsky and he said he hopes so and hopes it’s not a train.

4:26 PM - 31 Jan 2020

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose