2019 Offseason

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If there is any truth to this, we need to make a play for Betts ourselves. He is just what we need in CF, and we have the prospect capital to make it happen. And if we send the Red Sox Ray and Lamb as part of the deal, we might even have an avenue to make it not crippling financially.

Of course, all bets are off if the Red Sox insist on dumping the contract of Price or Eovaldi in the deal, and the Padres or anyone else is willing to bite...

Good. Let SD trade their 3 best prospects for one year of him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From rotoworld.com:

You must be registered for see images attach

STARLING MARTEOF, PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that trade talks involving Starling Marte are "intensifying."
Heyman adds that there's "still a chance something gets done before spring training" and that the Mets and Padres are teams that are in on the Marte discussions. Meanwhile, Andy Martino of SNY.tv hears that the Pirates and Mets are "pretty far apart" in Marte talks, so perhaps the Padres are the more likely landing spot at this point. Marte will make $11.5 million in 2020 and has a $12.5 million club option for 2021.

RELATED:
SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 24, 2020, 10:54 AM ET

Looks like we can cross Starling Marte off of the list.

Getting very, very nervous about the prospect of Ketel Marte in CF with the craptastic combination of Valaika/Vargas/Young/Rojas/Leyba at 2B.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
From rotoworld.com:

STARLING MARTEOF, PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that trade talks involving Starling Marte are "intensifying."
Heyman adds that there's "still a chance something gets done before spring training" and that the Mets and Padres are teams that are in on the Marte discussions. Meanwhile, Andy Martino of SNY.tv hears that the Pirates and Mets are "pretty far apart" in Marte talks, so perhaps the Padres are the more likely landing spot at this point. Marte will make $11.5 million in 2020 and has a $12.5 million club option for 2021.

RELATED:
SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Jan 24, 2020, 10:54 AM ET

Looks like we can cross Starling Marte off of the list.

Getting very, very nervous about the prospect of Ketel Marte in CF with the craptastic combination of Valaika/Vargas/Young/Rojas/Leyba at 2B.
A month ago I was 100% certain that they would end up acquiring a major league talent 2nd baseman or Center Fielder. I still think they will but I am starting to get a bit nervous that I may be wrong on this one. I have my fingers crossed though that Hazel is just being patient and waiting for the asking price (trade or signing) to go down.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

·
32m

While Mets and Pirates remain engaged, there’s still plenty of work to be done there. Latest Pitt ask said to be steep. Not sure he’s in the request but top SS prospect Ronny Mauricio interests Pitt. SD, maybe AZ and TEX could also be in play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

·
32m

While Mets and Pirates remain engaged, there’s still plenty of work to be done there. Latest Pitt ask said to be steep. Not sure he’s in the request but top SS prospect Ronny Mauricio interests Pitt. SD, maybe AZ and TEX could also be in play.

If they want Mauricio, offer Perdomo and be done with it. Starling Marte is far more valuable to us than Perdomo will ever be.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hazen won’t deal Perdomo. Our middle infield after him is the weakest unit in the system.

Carroll, Robinson and Perdomo are basically untouchable for any non-star player or a young talented player under control (Jazz/Gallen).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hazen won’t deal Perdomo. Our middle infield after him is the weakest unit in the system.

Carroll, Robinson and Perdomo are basically untouchable for any non-star player or a young talented player under control (Jazz/Gallen).

Perdomo isn't going to be ready in 2021, so we are either re-signing Ahmed or bringing in another shortstop, anyway. So we will have plenty of time in the interim to restock the middle infield in our farm system. Better than going into a season with the likes of Valaika, Rojas, Vargas, Leyba and Young getting more than a collective 500 at-bats. I can see a difference of at least 10-15 games right there, which in a tight division could very well be the difference between a playoff spot and 4th place in the division.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Perdomo isn't going to be ready in 2021, so we are either re-signing Ahmed or bringing in another shortstop, anyway. So we will have plenty of time in the interim to restock the middle infield in our farm system. Better than going into a season with the likes of Valaika, Rojas, Vargas, Leyba and Young getting more than a collective 500 at-bats. I can see a difference of at least 10-15 games right there, which in a tight division could very well be the difference between a playoff spot and 4th place in the division.

Hazen doesn’t think do-or-die like that. If anything he’ll get Jackie Bradley Jr for a fraction of what Starling Marte would fetch. Hazen wins trades.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hazen doesn’t think do-or-die like that. If anything he’ll get Jackie Bradley Jr for a fraction of what Starling Marte would fetch. Hazen wins trades.

Well, I would take Bradley Jr. over the crap smorgasboard we have at 2B, but I don't like having yet another .230 hitter in the line-up who also isn't a threat to get on or steal bases.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman)
1/25/20, 11:49 AM
Dbacks are among teams with interest in veteran infielder Brian Dozier

As I mentioned before, while he is an upgrade over Valaika/Rojas/Young/Vargas/Leyba, he isn't much of one. Replacement level WAR of 0.7 last year, projected to hit .240, just a year removed from hitting .182, no speed and no defense. Basically this year's version of Wilmer Flores.

If this is Hazen's plan, why bother signing Bumgarner and Calhoun? If they aren't going to credibly fill their line-up, they should be in fire sale mode, minimize payroll, and stock up on prospects for a run in 2022 or 2023.

What good is a $110 million dollar payroll if due to a gaping hole in the line-up, all it can get you is 75-80 wins?

This half-in approach makes no sense to me. I think Hazen needs either to commit to a run now or later, not mediocrity for both...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, while he is an upgrade over Valaika/Rojas/Young/Vargas/Leyba, he isn't much of one. Replacement level WAR of 0.7 last year, projected to hit .240, just a year removed from hitting .182, no speed and no defense. Basically this year's version of Wilmer Flores.

If this is Hazen's plan, why bother signing Bumgarner and Calhoun? If they aren't going to credibly fill their line-up, they should be in fire sale mode, minimize payroll, and stock up on prospects for a run in 2022 or 2023.

What good is a $110 million dollar payroll if due to a gaping hole in the line-up, all it can get you is 75-80 wins?

This half-in approach makes no sense to me. I think Hazen needs either to commit to a run now or later, not mediocrity for both...

That’s why Dozier doesn’t excite anyone. He does well vs LHP but that’s it. I think we need to get used to Ketel in CF until Corbin Carroll is MLB ready. Even a Kris Bryant trade doesn’t change that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That’s why Dozier doesn’t excite anyone. He does well vs LHP but that’s it. I think we need to get used to Ketel in CF until Corbin Carroll is MLB ready. Even a Kris Bryant trade doesn’t change that.

Then in your scenario who do we play at 2B?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Then in your scenario who do we play at 2B?

Not sure which scenario you’re referring to but as is probably Escobar. The only scenario I can think of them bringing back Lamb is because we have nobody coming up that can play 3B and we weren’t in the market for the big guns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure which scenario you’re referring to but as is probably Escobar. The only scenario I can think of them bringing back Lamb is because we have nobody coming up that can play 3B and we weren’t in the market for the big guns.

You really want the sub-.200-hitting, no defending Lamb being our regular starting third baseman?

If that's the case, we might as well unload Ahmed, Bumgarner, Bradley and Ray now. If Lamb gets 500 at-bats, this team isn't winning 65 games, let alone 75.