Suns @ Spurs Friday game thread 1-24-20

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday the Suns start a crucial three game road stretch starting with the Spurs. Then they play the Grizzlies (Sunday) and Mavericks (Tuesday).

If the Suns can't win two out of the three games, their schedule only gets tougher. Suns have to draw a line somewhere if they want to make a run at the playoffs.

Spurs (20-23) have won their past three games including a 120-118 win over the Suns on Monday.

Suns (18-26) have lost their last two games at home.

Game time is 6:30 p.m. MST (Arizona time).

It will be televised on FSAZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson (quad) is reported out for the game. Baynes (hip) is doubtful.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Time to add frail to Cam Johnson's list of deficiencies.

William Bedford was still the worst, but in my opinion Cam Johnson is vying neck and neck with Kendall Marshall, Tyler Ennis and Dragan Bender for second worst Suns draft pick ever.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This will be loss #3 in a six game (at least) losing streak that essentially ends all talk of playoffs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This game has 30 point loss written all over it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be loss #3 in a six game (at least) losing streak that essentially ends all talk of playoffs.

Not sure about that but what a loss that bad should do is make a trade at the deadline a MUST.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Jones knows a trade is needed. What he is saying publicly is just normal PR stuff. Problem is that the Suns are just really thin when it comes to their rotations. Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges are fine, but two of them are not really scoring threats. Essentially, the Suns need three out of those five to score well to be competitive. Two out of five are not really scorers. There is no depth in the rotation after that. Saric and Kaminsky are NBA players, albeit not great ones. Baynes is an NBA player. Cam is OK for a rookie, but still a rookie. With Kaminsky and Baynes hurt, there is literally no bench outside of Bridges.

This is why on some nights they look amazing, and on other night they just don't have enough to win. If three out of the core five are on, and someone else contributes a bit, they look great. If that doesn't happen, they look terrible. Jones has to find two more rotation players, even if they are just average backup guys. One point guard and one big man with some length and athleticism. That's the difference between the team with the current record and a 50% winning percentage team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jones knows a trade is needed. What he is saying publicly is just normal PR stuff. Problem is that the Suns are just really thin when it comes to their rotations. Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Rubio and Bridges are fine, but two of them are not really scoring threats. Essentially, the Suns need three out of those five to score well to be competitive. Two out of five are not really scorers. There is no depth in the rotation after that. Saric and Kaminsky are NBA players, albeit not great ones. Baynes is an NBA player. Cam is OK for a rookie, but still a rookie. With Kaminsky and Baynes hurt, there is literally no bench outside of Bridges.

This is why on some nights they look amazing, and on other night they just don't have enough to win. If three out of the core five are on, and someone else contributes a bit, they look great. If that doesn't happen, they look terrible. Jones has to find two more rotation players, even if they are just average backup guys. One point guard and one big man with some length and athleticism. That's the difference between the team with the current record and a 50% winning percentage team.

If the Suns could fill one of these needs it would be huge. The need at backup point guard is so great, I might even rate it first.

I'm hoping if the Suns can trade for one need they can get filler or a modest player in return that might help the other situation as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It already is a must. Too bad James Jones continues just to sit on his hands...

You don't know that. I remember in the past the Suns furiously being on the phone trying to make deals and could not pull it off. You don't know if he is sitting on his hands. Not sure why you are so hard up on James Jones. Sure, I don't think his throwing noodles against the wall is proving to have worked out but the team is way ahead of where it was last year under him.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go suns they need to get a nice w....

Hoping for good gms by ayton and booker

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about that but what a loss that bad should do is make a trade at the deadline a MUST.
It might actually make a trade deadline move LESS urgent. It makes the playoffs less likely and forces more long-term thinking.

I really would like to see this team in the playoffs this year, but I am losing hope.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might actually make a trade deadline move LESS urgent. It makes the playoffs less likely and forces more long-term thinking.

I really would like to see this team in the playoffs this year, but I am losing hope.

No doubt but longer term there are some things that are pretty evident. There are certain players on this team that are not going to get demonstrably better. We know who they are and what they can do. Outside of KO, MB, Ayton, Booker, Rubio it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there isn't much potential there. Mabye....and I mean maybe.....Cam.

If I hear the Suns tried and failed I can live with that. If they simply say they were not interested with this noodles thrown to the wall roster? I am going to be very disappointed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've lost almost all hope in the Suns making the playoffs although I was hoping they might make a run at it and optimistically get to .500.

We agree the Suns need to make to make a trade but perhaps for different reasons.

The frustration and negativity is growing among the fans and perhaps the players as well. It's more about preserving the morale of this team. I'd hate to see this team quit but the frustration is growing.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

I'm ok with missing the playoffs this year. Next year is a different story.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns could fill one of these needs it would be huge. The need at backup point guard is so great, I might even rate it first.

I'm hoping if the Suns can trade for one need they can get filler or a modest player in return that might help the other situation as well.

Power forward is still the greatest need. There are zero NBA level power forwards on the roster at this time. We finally have one NBA level point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Which means that they need to unload their expiring deals (Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and Dario Saric) for assets, even if they are just second round picks, as the Suns are going to need everything they can get to fill out their roster in the future, and as it is a certainty that neither Johnson, nor Baynes, nor Saric will be back next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An injury recap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see Baynes do anything to aggravate his hip in the last game he played? I just think there might be something more to his current "injury" than what the injury report says. He's obviously a trade chip and with his health being up and down already, if you plan on dealing him then let him sit until you do make the trade. We're just about 2 weeks from the trade deadline right now. It'd be nice to have him but I don't think he's going to make or break the team.

I think he could have played his last game as a Suns already. I guess we'll see what happens in the next week or so.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Did anyone see Baynes do anything to aggravate his hip in the last game he played? I just think there might be something more to his current "injury" than what the injury report says. He's obviously a trade chip and with his health being up and down already, if you plan on dealing him then let him sit until you do make the trade. We're just about 2 weeks from the trade deadline right now. It'd be nice to have him but I don't think he's going to make or break the team.

I think he could have played his last game as a Suns already. I guess we'll see what happens in the next week or so.

Honestly, he hasn't been the same since his original injury. Your scenario is definitely possible, but I think he is just hurt. He's been hurt since the original injury.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You don't know that. I remember in the past the Suns furiously being on the phone trying to make deals and could not pull it off. You don't know if he is sitting on his hands. Not sure why you are so hard up on James Jones. Sure, I don't think his throwing noodles against the wall is proving to have worked out but the team is way ahead of where it was last year under him.

Is is being critical about James Jones? Or about another in-house Sarver puppet,
with no experience, being thrust into an important job?

Jones has an instant alibi. I want to see a General Manager who doesn't need an alibi.

And to keep comparing the Suns to last season ... or the past decade ... does not work.
Being better than piss poor is not good enough. Especially when you consider our
status right now.

Booker having to play an entire 4th quarter, then bricking a 3-point attempt to avoid
needing him in overtime, especially with Oubre having fouled out, is not ahead of last
year.

It is, as I posted after the game, desperation. The Suns are in a state of desperation.

Very difficult on the puppet GM. Very difficult on the coach. Very difficult on the players.
Very difficult on the fans.

In all honesty, who are the only ones for whom it is not difficult? Uh, the investors who
stepped into a trillion dollar windfall.

If anyone disagrees with that, please detail why.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game about to tipoff.

Saric and Oubre are the forwards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre blocks a shot going over the top of Saric to do it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how the other team doesn't foul.

Ayton goes out with 2 personal fouls.