Right Knee Concerns for Hump ?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kind of believe this offense is what kept Humphries healthy this yr. Have no concrete evidence, just a theory. Maybe just a coincidence? Just funny Humphries has been hurt his whole career in Arizona & now he plays a whole season injury free.

A whole bunch of quick throws where you don't have to sustain blocks helps

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
The ones who are saying let him go sure like playing risky. Remember when D’Anthony Batiste was our starting left tackle? Humphries needs to be at least franchised. If they draft his replacement, cool. We have 2 starting tackles with upside for one year

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Tough spot to be in. DJ is nothing special, average at best. Do you swing for the fences, let him walk and trust a rookie LT? Or are you willig to pay a below average LT above average LT money just to keep status quo? A lot will depend on Kugler. If he thinks that DJ can still improve, we should pay him and trust Kugler. If Kugler identifies someone better suited for LT, let DJ go.

Unfortunately this seems like a situation we can only lose. Imagine DJ getting paid and then injured again or his play declining to pre contract year level. Or DJ getting a big contract in FA and turning into an above average LT.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People don't downgrade the LTs for the Saints, Patriots, Falcons and 49ers due to this...

All those QB's had higher average air yards than Kyler.

The only QB's that averaged less distance per pass were Carr, Brissett, Flacco, Lock, Bridgewater, Hodges and Rudolph.

But also the LT's of all those teams are proven good over multiple years. Hump isn't.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ones who are saying let him go sure like playing risky. Remember when D’Anthony Batiste was our starting left tackle? Humphries needs to be at least franchised. If they draft his replacement, cool. We have 2 starting tackles with upside for one year

You are right. This makes the most sense.

The downside is, we don't have nearly as much money as fans think to spend in FA, especially if we tag Hump.

The Franchise tag is $16.1m. At the most I could swallow the transition tag at $14.6m, I don't see anyone else paying him that.

The real decision here is between a rookie + a major defensive stud. A rookie, a vet placeholder and a good defensive player. Or just Hump.

If we had all the money like the Colts then I could swallow it easier. It would be massively overpaying but at least we could strengthen where we need to.

The way I see it now is we are massively over paying and robbing ourselves of a top end defensive player that we need.

As I said elsewhere, I think Thomas + Judon makes this team much better than just hump.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All those QB's had higher average air yards than Kyler.

The only QB's that averaged less distance per pass were Carr, Brissett, Flacco, Lock, Bridgewater, Hodges and Rudolph.

But also the LT's of all those teams are proven good over multiple years. Hump isn't.
I don't really care about air yards, I prefer to look at time from snap to release. Where the QB is throwing it to is irrelevant. How fast they are getting rid of it is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really care about air yards, I prefer to look at time from snap to release. Where the QB is throwing it to is irrelevant. How fast they are getting rid of it is.

Kyler was 28th in time to throw (27 QB's had more time). I don't know how accurate it is this year though as a measurement for O line performance. There were a lot of pre determined play calls that were designed to get the ball out right away.

But low time to throw and low air yards probably aren't a good combination.

Thanks for discussing it with me. I hope you don't think I'm being difficult. One problem with the interweb is that tone and intention don't come across very well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler was 28th in time to throw (27 QB's had more time). I don't know how accurate it is this year though as a measurement for O line performance. There were a lot of pre determined play calls that were designed to get the ball out right away.

Thanks for discussing it with me. I hope you don't think I'm being difficult. One problem with the interweb is that tone and intention don't come across very well.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

The column TT quantifies time from snap to release of the ball.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When deciding whether to sign Hump we should use the George Castanza approach. Whatever Keim thinks is right do the opposite. :)

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes mate, he's 12th when sorted by shortest time to throw. That's the bad end.

27 QBs had longer.
He is right in line with Carson Wentz, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan, and Jimmy G. He is .09 seconds difference from Watson and Mahommes (2.73 to 2.82).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Yards are yards and I think Kliff likes the quick release regardless of the options for the most part in this offense predicated to not only obviously more the offense forward but put a mental and physical strain on the defense... and yes, if we we're all kicking back in a pub together there would be a lot less arguments because of vocal tones and mannerisms lol

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's hard to reconcile that stat with this one:

:shrug:

...dbs
It's really difficult when you break down how these stats seem similar but can end up skewing from the overall picture, which is why a lot of advanced analytics don't fly with me.

Like, let's take TT, or time to pass. Does Brees with the second lowest time to throw mean that his line was letting him get pressured immediately, or does it mean he was ultra efficient in knowing where to go with the ball from his pre-snap read? No one out there is saying the Saints line is awful.

Same with the ESPN PBWR... sure, the % of holding for 2.5 seconds is high, but we see that every QB needed more than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball, on average. What does that number look like when we analyze each team by length of sustained blocking on average? I don't think the Cardinals would finish in the top 10. It also fails to account for purposeful disengagement from the block by the blocker or defender. Defensive scheme, offensive scheme, the designed direction of the QB's movement, screen plays, etc., all contribute to this number, so it's not like it's some kind of perfectly defined constant as a metric.

I would love to see average time to quarterback pressure, amount of pressures, and more.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Tag him, see if he plays like he did this year, if he does then sign him if not his replacement that we draft this year can step in.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to reconcile that stat with this one:

:shrug:

...dbs

It's not really is it?

Kyler's average time to throw was 2.71 seconds. ESPN says they sustained blocks for at least 2.5 seconds. I can see a venn diagram where those circles overlap.

Plus it's ESPN and ESPN are garbage but either way you can see how it could work together. If Kylers TTT was less than 2.5 then it would be confusing.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Tag him, see if he plays like he did this year, if he does then sign him if not his replacement that we draft this year can step in.
That's probably the smart and simple answer. If Humphries had stayed healthy the vast majority of his career, I could care less if he is just an average LT at best. He should be happy playing under the tag because it's lots of guaranteed money for one year, but we aren't tied to him long-term if he struggles again. If he can confirm last season, stay healthy and protect KM to the best of his ability, he is worth a decent contract in 2021.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's probably the smart and simple answer. If Humphries had stayed healthy the vast majority of his career, I could care less if he is just an average LT at best. He should be happy playing under the tag because it's lots of guaranteed money for one year, but we aren't tied to him long-term if he struggles again. If he can confirm last season, stay healthy and protect KM to the best of his ability, he is worth a decent contract in 2021.

It might be in Humps interest to do that. The new CBA comes into effect next year. and there will be several changes that might be to his benefit. Things like the fully funded rule are likely to go so could lead to more guarantees. Tag costs are likely to go up, so a 2nd year on the tag would be unlikely. In fact 2nd year on the tag might go all together.

What's the worst that could happen for this team? We tag Hump for a year. He plays ok in 12 games but misses 4. Keim considers that enough. The new CBA comes in, the cap goes up more than previous years not only based on an extra game but as a percentage per game. The new norm for an OT becomes $20m per year and high guarantees. We give Hump a 4 year $70m deal with $50m in G's. Both his knees evaporate in the 1st snap of camp and he never plays again.

That's my current mood!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to watch as many of Kylers passing reps as I could find, rather than the All 22 there are several "Every Kyler Murray throw vs X" videos on You tube. The 1st regular season game in the list was the Ravens so I put it on ready to note all the whiffs that Kyler had to avoid and the very first snap of the game...well just watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I mean really? People really want to keep this guy? He's got McPhee lined up over him and just lets him free run at Kyler in the 1st snap of his 1st road game? Dude is trash.

Then skip to 1:34 and see some more garbage.
Then 2:51. Were only just in Q2 by this point and he already has a sack avoided, and got Kyler hit twice.
3:39 another hurry.
4:28 another QB hit.
5:49 both tackles get beat round the corner and force a bad pass on 3rd and goal.
6:15 I have no idea what this is.
6:52 Beat inside, but then the whole line sucked

Hump is awful. I'll do a late season game later for comparison.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said that it's really hard to reconcile (a) Kyler was 28th in time to throw (27 QB's had more time) and (b) the Cardinals’ line as a unit was No. 10 in the league, sustaining blocks for at least 2.5 seconds 62% of the time.

It's not really is it?

Kyler's average time to throw was 2.71 seconds. ESPN says they sustained blocks for at least 2.5 seconds. I can see a venn diagram where those circles overlap.

Yes, this part is easy to understand. But how can 27 QBs have had more time to throw than Kyler, yet only 9 OLs sustained blocks for 2.5 seconds as often as the Cardinals OL?

...dbs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I was going to watch as many of Kylers passing reps as I could find, rather than the All 22 there are several "Every Kyler Murray throw vs X" videos on You tube. The 1st regular season game in the list was the Ravens so I put it on ready to note all the whiffs that Kyler had to avoid and the very first snap of the game...well just watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I mean really? People really want to keep this guy? He's got McPhee lined up over him and just lets him free run at Kyler in the 1st snap of his 1st road game? Dude is trash.

Then skip to 1:34 and see some more garbage.
Then 2:51. Were only just in Q2 by this point and he already has a sack avoided, and got Kyler hit twice.
3:39 another hurry.
4:28 another QB hit.
5:49 both tackles get beat round the corner and force a bad pass on 3rd and goal.
6:15 I have no idea what this is.
6:52 Beat inside, but then the whole line sucked

Hump is awful. I'll do a late season game later for comparison.

You can say he is not good enough but obviously he also played well enough through out the season to warrant consideration by others which includes the Cardinal front office. There is also tape removed from that one that is probably the opposite conclusion. Again, I watched all the games and frankly would yell when they attempted to run the ball opposite of Humpries side, because our best runs were to the left. Lastly we really do not know all the protection schemes and what the hell Shipley might have been calling and if Humphries was able to comprehend if the call was coming in late. I think he is above average which is good enough for all the holes we have and actually cheaper to sign a stud guard or center than replace him because the OL works as a whole