Right Knee Concerns for Hump ?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1st regular season game in the list was the Ravens so I put it on ready to note all the whiffs that Kyler had to avoid and the very first snap of the game...well just watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I mean really? People really want to keep this guy? He's got McPhee lined up over him and just lets him free run at Kyler in the 1st snap of his 1st road game? Dude is trash.

Interesting... i'd like to see someone who knows more about O-line blocking schemes to break some of these down.

On the first one, Humphries obviously sees that there's a blocker lined up over his left shoulder, but the play / line call must call for a shift to the right. Not sure whether the expectation was that David Johnson would pick up the free rusher, or if the play was designed for a quick dump-off to Fitz or Johnson, who each look to have been open for an easy 5+ yard pickup? There's also a pretty well sealed-off rushing lane for Murray on the left side, once he evades the pass rusher. Hard to believe that Humphries saw a free rusher and just thought, "I just won't bother with that guy" for no reason. I'd be more inclined to think that Humphreys did what he was supposed to there.

The play at 0:34 looks like a similar situation where the line again blocked to the right and Johnson did pick up the free rusher from the left - he just did a lousy job of blocking him.

There were a bunch of plays between 0:34 and 1:34 where Humphries seemed to do a good job. Then....

At 1:34, counting the pass rushers and blockers from the far side of the field to the near side, given the empty backfield, it's hard to figure why Humphries was looking right, rather than at the guy off his left shoulder. He points to the LB to his right just before the snap. This pressure is probably on him regardless of the line call.

Then a bunch more solid plays by Humphries until 2:51....

At 2:51, Humphries seems to have two rushers to account for... i'm guessing he should've taken the inside guy and let Edmonds do his best on the outside guy. Instead, Humphries seems to get caught in no-mans land trying to block both guys, Edmonds takes the inside guy, and Humphries does a poor job slowing down the outside guy, who pressures Murray. Definitely looks like a screw up.

Anyway, that's the first three you list. Again, i'm not the guy who should be trying to analyze the line play here - hopefully someone else will jump in. From what i can tell, some of the plays are on Humphries, but some may be on someone else, and some may simply be that in game 2, the O-linemen weren't yet all on the same page.

:shrug:

...dbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting... i'd like to see someone who knows more about O-line blocking schemes to break some of these down.

On the first one, Humphries obviously sees that there's a blocker lined up over his left shoulder, but the play / line call must call for a shift to the right. Not sure whether the expectation was that David Johnson would pick up the free rusher, or if the play was designed for a quick dump-off to Fitz or Johnson, who each look to have been open for an easy 5+ yard pickup? There's also a pretty well sealed-off rushing lane for Murray on the left side, once he evades the pass rusher. Hard to believe that Humphries saw a free rusher and just thought, "I just won't bother with that guy" for no reason. I'd be more inclined to think that Humphreys did what he was supposed to there.

The play at 0:34 looks like a similar situation where the line again blocked to the right and Johnson did pick up the free rusher from the left - he just did a lousy job of blocking him.

There were a bunch of plays between 0:34 and 1:34 where Humphries seemed to do a good job. Then....

At 1:34, counting the pass rushers and blockers from the far side of the field to the near side, given the empty backfield, it's hard to figure why Humphries was looking right, rather than at the guy off his left shoulder. He points to the LB to his right just before the snap. This pressure is probably on him regardless of the line call.

Then a bunch more solid plays by Humphries until 2:51....

At 2:51, Humphries seems to have two rushers to account for... i'm guessing he should've taken the inside guy and let Edmonds do his best on the outside guy. Instead, Humphries seems to get caught in no-mans land trying to block both guys, Edmonds takes the inside guy, and Humphries does a poor job slowing down the outside guy, who pressures Murray. Definitely looks like a screw up.

Anyway, that's the first three you list. Again, i'm not the guy who should be trying to analyze the line play here - hopefully someone else will jump in. From what i can tell, some of the plays are on Humphries, but some may be on someone else, and some may simply be that in game 2, the O-linemen weren't yet all on the same page.

:shrug:

...dbs

I can tell you that first play isn't intended because all the WRs on that side are looking back for a pass, they aren't run blocking.

All tackles have solid plays the majority of the time. Even donkeys like Matt Khalil. It's how many whiffs and bad decisions they have and from watching Hump this years there are more than most.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave