The Suns next big move

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our team taking the next step is ayton at least partially living up to his potential and adding onto the roster on top of that.

Management can't hope to do that if they keep throwing Ayton under the bus.

Has he been everything we hoped or everything he should be? No. But other than Booker, he was the least of our problems against the Grizzlies and Kings, and management chose to make an example of him, anyway.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Our team taking the next step is ayton at least partially living up to his potential and adding onto the roster on top of that.
What potential? He came to us with one year of college basketball -- as a Power
Forward. The reason why doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Again, he shies away from contact in driving to the basket (he looks lost) and
power rebounding. That is his potential so far.

If we had a skilled Power Forward alongside him, it might work. But we don't.

We even saw it when Baynes filled the starting Center role and we were winning.
But as a career backup Power Forward and at his age, he couldn't keep it up and
the losing began.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
What potential? He came to us with one year of college basketball -- as a Power
Forward. The reason why doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Again, he shies away from contact in driving to the basket (he looks lost) and
power rebounding. That is his potential so far.

If we had a skilled Power Forward alongside him, it might work. But we don't.

We even saw it when Baynes filled the starting Center role and we were winning.
But as a career backup Power Forward and at his age, he couldn't keep it up and
the losing began.

So players can't learn new things and we should just give up on him? I'm sorry but I'm calling bs on that one.

He has the ability to be a good center in the league. It's up to him and our coaching staff to help him realize that potential.

It looks like he focused on his defense and his stamina during his suspension but at the expense of working on his offense, which has looked off since he came back.

We need a pf that's why I bring up guys like Gordon but this team needs ayton to live up to what he can do to be a true contender and not just a team that may make the playoffs

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If that's true, bring him aboard. I love Oubre. I'd gladly trade tj and our first round pick for a PF version of KO.

Better and more consistent defensively than Oubre, albeit less explosive offensively.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So Ayton’s the new whipping boy.
These generalizations don't accomplish a thing. How long are we going to condone failure?

Ayton could be a benefit to this team . . . if he were utilized to match his style of play.

As a Center on offense, he is a finesse player . He needs a strong Power Forward alongside him.
Or to be that outside power player alongside a strong Center. Or to be traded for one.

And, BTW, yes, he should be the "whipping boy" for how he disrupted our hopes for the season
by being suspended.

If you don't pinpoint responsibility, you don't achieve it!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These generalizations don't accomplish a thing. How long are we going to condone failure?

Ayton could be a benefit to this team . . . if he were utilized to match his style of play.

As a Center on offense, he is a finesse player . He needs a strong Power Forward alongside him.
Or to be that outside power player alongside a strong Center. Or to be traded for one.

And, BTW, yes, he should be the "whipping boy" for how he disrupted our hopes for the season
by being suspended.

If you don't pinpoint responsibility, you don't achieve it!

The irony of all this is that the Suns best lineups have involved the exact opposite of what you're advocating.

The Suns need much much more of the Oubre, Bridges, Ayton front court. Much less of trying to force things with lesser talented players but who supposedly fit "the role" that you're pushing.

This isn't the 1980s anymore. The two true "big" lineups don't work in the modern league. They cause space problems on offense and are easily exploited on D by smaller, faster lineups.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The irony of all this is that the Suns best lineups have involved the exact opposite of what you're advocating.

The Suns need much much more of the Oubre, Bridges, Ayton front court. Much less of trying to force things with lesser talented players but who supposedly fit "the role" that you're pushing.

This isn't the 1980s anymore. The two true "big" lineups don't work in the modern league. They cause space problems on offense and are easily exploited on D by smaller, faster lineups.
Well then, damnit, let's see the Suns embrace that and build chemistry.

After the Ayton/Baynes short lived experiment, they went back to Saric today.

I find it frustrating that the Suns are just like the Diamondbacks. Every day is a new beginning.

Chemistry is certainly more crucial in basketball than in baseball. And if what you suggest doesn't
work against the better teams, we're just trying to get back to .500 now anyway. I can accept a
step at a time. But they need to set a plan and give it a chance.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well then, damnit, let's see the Suns embrace that and build chemistry.

After the Ayton/Baynes short lived experiment, they went back to Ayton/Saric today.

I find it frustrating that the Suns are just like the Diamondbacks. Every day is a new beginning.

Chemistry is certainly more crucial in basketball than in baseball. And if what you suggest doesn't
work against the better teams, we're just trying to get back to .500 now.

On that we agree.

I get that Monty is experimenting with different looks but they are so short lived that they're impossible to tell much from.

IMO, he needs to take a page from Alvin Gentry's book; have a dedicated main "5 guys" (Ayton, Bridges, Oubre, Booker and Rubio IMO are by far their 5 best players), they might not start together but they play a good 15-20 minutes together and they finish the game together. Then have a few bench guys, not necessarily 5, but 3 or so dudes who are used to being the core of the bench and used to playing long stretches together.

Tonight we had a lot of passes to no one because guys clearly just don't understand how their teammates prefer to move around.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump. What do you think now? If your observation was accurate, they just suddenly threw him under the bus for no reason.

What do you mean? How does him not starting change anything?! It doesn’t. Monty is probably sending him a message. He is treating him like the young player he is. That’s not throwing anybody under the bus.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do you mean? How does him not starting change anything?! It doesn’t. Monty is probably sending him a message. He is treating him like the young player he is. That’s not throwing anybody under the bus.

Except Baynes and Saric played worse and got elevated over him...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

The Oubre, Bridges, Ayton, Rubio, Book lineup is my favorite. The two forwards length on defense is unique but this lineup lacks shooting especially with Rubio and struggles in the half court offense. If you have a point guard that can't shoot you need to get it from somewhere else.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This, exactly.

Coaches have to forget about where a player was drafted or what kind of salary he is getting and just do what is necessary to develop him into the best player he can be. Ayton is a disappointment as a #1 pick for the fans. We all wanted more sooner--and then there is Doncic. I think we all get that. I was all on board with Ayton and had my doubts about Doncic. I admit it. I was wrong. But none of that matters now. The most important is to do the best they can developing what they have.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This, exactly.

Coaches have to forget about where a player was drafted or what kind of salary he is getting and just do what is necessary to develop him into the best player he can be. Ayton is a disappointment as a #1 pick for the fans. We all wanted more sooner--and then there is Doncic. I think we all get that. I was all on board with Ayton and had my doubts about Doncic. I admit it. I was wrong. But none of that matters now. The most important is to do the best they can developing what they have.

And how does giving less deserving players a starting spot over him accomplish that?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Agreed!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Baynes and Saric played worse and got elevated over him...

Baynes and Saric are not second year players coming of a 25 game suspension that delayed the start of his 2nd season. That's not even remotely relevant. When a young player isn't doing what you ask you shake up the lineup and the rotation while sending him a message. Ayton as of now is the future of the franchise. Baynes and Saric are not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baynes and Saric are not second year players coming of a 25 game suspension that delayed the start of his 2nd season. That's not even remotely relevant. When a young player isn't doing what you ask you shake up the lineup and the rotation while sending him a message. Ayton as of now is the future of the franchise. Baynes and Saric are not.

it's really troubling that the "future of the franchise" isn't doing what's being asked of him... AFTER screwing the team and putting it in a hole after his 25 game break because of his stupidity.

I mean, do any of the Ayton staunch defenders think it's troubling at all that after what Ayton did with the drug test that upon coming back, he STILL needs to get benched to send him some kind of message?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it's really troubling that the "future of the franchise" isn't doing what's being asked of him... AFTER screwing the team and putting it in a hole after his 25 game break because of his stupidity.

I mean, do any of the Ayton staunch defenders think it's troubling at all that after what Ayton did with the drug test that upon coming back, he STILL needs to get benched to send him some kind of message?
Are there any Ayton staunch defenders here? I would like a lot more from him, but I think we have to be pragmatic and make the most of what we have.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are acting like young players don't do this kind of thing or that it's the first time a coach has to address younger players. There is a difference between him not listening to the coach and a player not executing the plays a coach wants him to (i.e. be aggressive).

IMO, Ayton isn't a smart player. His idiotic drug suspension appears to be symptomatic of something bigger IMO the carries over to how he plays on the court. Nobody should have had to tell him not to put crap in his body. Nobody should have to tell him to stop settling for jumpers and get to the line. So does he need a message? Sounds like that's the type of personality he has.

Is it troubling? Hell yes.

Who are these staunch defenders of him anyway? Staunch to me means defending everything he does. I have not seen anybody like that I can recall. There is much he needs to work on.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are acting like young players don't do this kind of thing or that it's the first time a coach has to address younger players. There is a difference between him not listening to the coach and a player not executing the plays a coach wants him to (i.e. be aggressive).

IMO, Ayton isn't a smart player. His idiotic drug suspension appears to be symptomatic of something bigger IMO the carries over to how he plays on the court. Nobody should have had to tell him not to put crap in his body. Nobody should have to tell him to stop settling for jumpers and get to the line. So does he need a message? Sounds like that's the type of personality he has.

Is it troubling? Hell yes.

Who are these staunch defenders of him anyway? Staunch to me means defending everything he does. I have not seen anybody like that I can recall. There is much he needs to work on.
The Uarizona alums.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson