Encouraging Kyler Murray Trends

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Through week 8, and the trends are reverting back toward the mean:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cards now face the 2nd hardest schedule in the NFL going forward. Murray is 25th in DYAR, and 13th in QBR. In DYAR, he's situated between Mitchell Trubisky and Marcus Mariota.

I'm going to truther these QBR stats for a second: What is a 13th ranking in QBR really showing? The stat weights for "clutch situations", which would (theoretically) provide extra credit for performance in tight games whether we win or lose. That said, Murray's 55.1 QBR basically puts him slightly above average, which maybe checks out.
Its 57.1

Yes, 3rd down, redzone and clutch situations have hurt his QBR this year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the hope is that Kyler can one day play to the MVP caliber level that Deshaun and Lamar have displayed this year.

Here is an interesting comparison. Now that is with the number changing on my part. I removed the Giants game as weather clearly impacted his averages (I know some will have a problem with that, but the purpose is still to show how well he's doing/how well we're using him in our game plan. Our gameplan was truly impacted that game. Only the Redskins/49ers game was the only weather ruined game this year.)

Here are what Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson are doing
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler's stats through the other 9 games (witholding the Giants game that clearly was impacted by weather)
Passing
2449 12 tds 5 ints 90.9
Rushing
323 yards 2 tds
Total
2781 yards 14 TDs

Whats killing Kyler is the redzone issues.

So Kliff has actually done a really good job with Kyler. Its just the redzone issues are what truly separate Lamar and Watson from Kyler (obviously a big deal).

Lions, Bucs, Ravens, 49ers are games where he/the team simply didn't do enough in the redzone and it cost us victories.

If Kyler can improve in that area then we have a lot to be excited about. Its a big IF. Cause some have a feel for the redzone while others don't....however, the Cards have done a good job in getting a lot of him.

@Crimson Warrior @Russ Smith @Jetstream Green @Vacard

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you just take like the last 4 or 5 games played, what would km's red zone numbers look like? Is he getting closer to the 59% (league?) average?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the hope is that Kyler can one day play to the MVP caliber level that Deshaun and Lamar have displayed this year.

Here is an interesting comparison. Now that is with the number changing on my part. I removed the Giants game as weather clearly impacted his averages (I know some will have a problem with that, but the purpose is still to show how well he's doing/how well we're using him in our game plan. Our gameplan was truly impacted that game. Only the Redskins/49ers game was the only weather ruined game this year.)

Here are what Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson are doing

Kyler's stats through the other 9 games (witholding the Giants game that clearly was impacted by weather)
Passing
2449 12 tds 5 ints 90.9
Rushing
323 yards 2 tds
Total
2781 yards 14 TDs

Whats killing Kyler is the redzone issues.

So Kliff has actually done a really good job with Kyler. Its just the redzone issues are what truly separate Lamar and Watson from Kyler (obviously a big deal).

Lions, Bucs, Ravens, 49ers are games where he/the team simply didn't do enough in the redzone and it cost us victories.

If Kyler can improve in that area then we have a lot to be excited about. Its a big IF. Cause some have a feel for the redzone while others don't....however, the Cards have done a good job in getting a lot of him.

@Crimson Warrior @Russ Smith @Jetstream Green @Vacard
I think KM can improve in the redzone but it depends on Kliff's playcalling. He gets too cute when its in the redzone...a heavyset formation with a playaction pass comes to mind. I cannot see how we are number one in 2 point conversions and 4th down yet we are bottom in redzone points score. Those two needs to put it all together.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Like the OP mentions, the great thing is that were getting into the red zone a lot, and I'm really proud of both Murray and KK, who are the catalyst, but also the rest of the unit as well.

Maybe we would be better in the redzone if the o-line we're a little more physical. Having an athletic TE might also help.

I wonder what kind of skill position player (other than QB) is most effective in the red zone? A RB with great receiving skills like DJ? Fleet footed WRs like Edleman?

Big strong WRs like megatron, or Brandon Marshall?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think KM can improve in the redzone but it depends on Kliff's playcalling. He gets too cute when its in the redzone...a heavyset formation with a playaction pass comes to mind. I cannot see how we are number one in 2 point conversions and 4th down yet we are bottom in redzone points score. Those two needs to put it all together.
Yea I don't know why we save our pick plays just for 2 point conversions. Should try that more.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You could argue that KM has the worst supporting cast around him that the other 9 in the top 10.
Unfortunately it appears Kirk is just a guy. Although they never had much chemistry at Texas A&M either.

The good news is next years draft is loaded with Wrs. It just hurts that we couldn't fix other areas with those past draft picks.
Outside of maybe Cleveland I don't see another potential 300 yard game. Hope I'm wrong though.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unfortunately it appears Kirk is just a guy. Although they never had much chemistry at Texas A&M either.

The good news is next years draft is loaded with Wrs. It just hurts that we couldn't fix other areas with those past draft picks.

Outside of maybe Cleveland I don't see another potential 300 yard game. Hope I'm wrong though.
I hope for him and us he gets another 3 just so we are in the game, because our D wont stop or scare anyone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is possible we are down a lot and have to throw. That is how he got the majority of his 300 yard games.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol

if we take two WR after taking 3 WR I'll lose my mind.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is possible we are down a lot and have to throw. That is how he got the majority of his 300 yard games.
I kind of feel that the Ravens game was a legit 300 yard game (we moved the ball a lot just didn't score TDs in the redzone)

The Falcons and Bucs games were legit 300 yarders.

Lions game was purely forced to throw.

lol

if we take two WR after taking 3 WR I'll lose my mind.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of feel that the Ravens game was a legit 300 yard game (we moved the ball a lot just didn't score TDs in the redzone)

The Falcons and Bucs games were legit 300 yarders.

Lions game was purely forced to throw.

I cant see that :shrug:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Bump. How are we looking in terms of trends after beating Seattle?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose