Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's part of why I don't care for Rankin. He is so vague and almost refuses to talk to people on Twitter. I'm curious if this is new or something that's happened all year as far as Sarver at practices but he won't say.

It was like the other day, all he said was "We can't film this but you can tell he's not in in-game shape. A little gassed. Going to take some time to get back." but didn't say who or why he was saying that. A few hours later he said he was talking about Ayton. Why though? That tweet made it sound like something had happened with the appeal, he's still out 19 games after all. Why even bother saying it will take a while to get him back?

I miss Bordow.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's part of why I don't care for Rankin. He is so vague and almost refuses to talk to people on Twitter. I'm curious if this is new or something that's happened all year as far as Sarver at practices but he won't say.

It was like the other day, all he said was "We can't film this but you can tell he's not in in-game shape. A little gassed. Going to take some time to get back." but didn't say who or why he was saying that. A few hours later he said he was talking about Ayton. Why though? That tweet made it sound like something had happened with the appeal, he's still out 19 games after all. Why even bother saying it will take to get him back?

I miss Bordow.
Many were mistaking him as talking about Ty Jerome and not Ayton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How many games would we need to pull from last year to make a video like this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow! Talk about the new-look Suns. We've never seen this much defense by a Suns team.

This illustrates why their start is not flash that is going to fizzle.

Fundamental basketball -- welcome to Phoenix.

And the best example is the star of the team, Devin Booker.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a Spurs style of basketball, not a DAntoni style.

the blessing of having both offense and defense is that you can win in multiple ways.

also, this team is still figuring out how to play together. They have really only been together for a few games. They might win those games against Denver and Utah if they played them now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting stats about Booker finishing better at the rim each season.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery 2h2 hours ago

Devin Booker has continued to develop his finishing ability at the rim throughout his career. Now, he’s one of the best in the league:

Year 2 = 57.8%
Year 3 = 61.1%
Year 4 = 65.9%
Year 5 = 73.7%

12:40 PM - 7 Nov 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was like the other day, all he said was "We can't film this but you can tell he's not in in-game shape. A little gassed. Going to take some time to get back." but didn't say who or why he was saying that. A few hours later he said he was talking about Ayton.
Why though? That tweet made it sound like something had happened with the appeal, he's still out 19 games after all. Why even bother saying it will take a while to get him back?

I miss Bordow.

Here is an excerpt from a Kellan Olson article written on 11-6-19 which may shed some more light on Ayton's participation in practice:

Ayton has been able to practice with the team and has been seen at shootarounds on the road. The rule is that Ayton has to be out of the arena two hours prior to a game, so he can partake in a lot for being suspended.

Wednesday did qualify, so there he was, shooting around after practice and getting some run in.

Media were told not to take videos or pictures of that specific instance of a pickup game. Ayton looked like someone who had been out of the fold, getting tired after running up and down enough times and was lethargic. That’s to be expected with his absence and something to keep in mind as his return draws closer, which is a little over five weeks out.

https://arizonasports.com/story/214...-on-defensive-improvement-after-strong-start/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It was like the other day, all he said was "We can't film this but you can tell he's not in in-game shape. A little gassed. Going to take some time to get back." but didn't say who or why he was saying that. A few hours later he said he was talking about Ayton. Why though? That tweet made it sound like something had happened with the appeal, he's still out 19 games after all. Why even bother saying it will take a while to get him back?

I miss Bordow.

Are you really serious? You really think this is the first time the owner has talked to the coach this season?

Get real here. There is not a single owner in the league that does not talk to the head coach on a regular basis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you really serious? You really think this is the first time the owner has talked to the coach this season?

Get real here. There is not a single owner in the league that does not talk to the head coach on a regular basis.

Did I say this was the first time Sarver has been at practice? I said that I'm curious is this is something that has happened all year or if it's something new. If owners are regularly attending practice and speaking with the coaches there then why is it an issue that Sarver has done that before?

You really think NBA owners regularly attend practices, especially early in the season? Like those billionaires don't have other businesses to attend to. Games? Sure, but practices? I'm not buying it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did I say this was the first time Sarver has been at practice? I said that I'm curious is this is something that has happened all year or if it's something new. If owners are regularly attending practice and speaking with the coaches there then why is it an issue that Sarver has done that before?

You really think NBA owners regularly attend practices, especially early in the season? Like those billionaires don't have other businesses to attend to. Games? Sure, but practices? I'm not buying it.

What's the difference if they attend practice or not. I would want to watch practice if I was the owner.

Being there - and somehow trying to coach the team are two entirely different things.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from a Kellan Olson article written on 11-6-19 which may shed some more light on Ayton's participation in practice:

Ayton has been able to practice with the team and has been seen at shootarounds on the road. The rule is that Ayton has to be out of the arena two hours prior to a game, so he can partake in a lot for being suspended.

Wednesday did qualify, so there he was, shooting around after practice and getting some run in.

Media were told not to take videos or pictures of that specific instance of a pickup game. Ayton looked like someone who had been out of the fold, getting tired after running up and down enough times and was lethargic. That’s to be expected with his absence and something to keep in mind as his return draws closer, which is a little over five weeks out.

https://arizonasports.com/story/214...-on-defensive-improvement-after-strong-start/
I hate reading that. He should be tearing it up with conditioning to hit the ground running when he gets back. This makes it sound like he’s taking a vacation.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I hate reading that. He should be tearing it up with conditioning to hit the ground running when he gets back. This makes it sound like he’s taking a vacation.

I totally see what you are saying, but I think we, as fans and amateurs underestimate how hard it is to get into game-shape. I just don't think a player can stay in a game-shape, or playing shape unless he is actually playing in games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I totally see what you are saying, but I think we, as fans and amateurs underestimate how hard it is to get into game-shape. I just don't think a player can stay in a game-shape, or playing shape unless he is actually playing in games.
That makes good sense, since I would say almost certainly the team aren’t scrimmaging in practice so he probably isn’t getting that kind of run. I’m getting it’s mostly mechanics he’s working on now and when he’s a week or two out from playing again (early December) he’ll work nor more on conditioning.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Point well taken. I understand there is a difference between being in shape and being in basketball shape. I guess the latter is only achieved by playing. My hope is when Ayton nears completion of his suspension the Suns will practice a bit more to get to get him ready for games. I can't imagine Ayton not working out.

It seems like it was mentioned before but it's too bad the Suns can't send Ayton to play in some G-League games to get in shape. I imagine they consider that as a part of the NBA though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair to Ayton, he looks gassed next to players who are starting in the NBA right now and have been for the last 2 weeks while he's only practiced. Anyone is going to look gassed next to them.

I don't like reading it either but I think some consideration needs to be made before jumping to conclusions.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gina Mizell (@ginamizell)
11/8/19, 1:31 PM
Per Monty, biggest “slippages” were fewer contested shots (or fouling instead of contesting correctly), lack of game-plan discipline (pick-and-roll coverages, etc.) and understanding the scouting report is now out in them. “We’re not sneaking up on teams..” #Suns

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
More Monty: “Because we have really good guys, they were all on board. They all knew what we needed to do. And the No. 1 guy was Devin. He knows our absolutes. He knows the things that we’re trying to teach. None of our guys take coaching personally.” #Suns

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
More Monty: “It was a really good environment today. You can hear the gym. This is what we want to create. Win or lose, our gym has to be like this...nothing can mess with the culture, nothing should be able to mess with our atmosphere on the gym.” Gym was lively today. #Suns

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not crazy about Ayton being gassed.

also, really starting to worry about Bridges. He might end up being a very good, lock defender night in, night out, but he doesn't appear noticeably bigger to me and his offense is still non-existent.

also... Cam Johnson has to start making shots if he wants to stay on the floor. For all the talk about getting older guys because "they're ready to contribute immediately", that's starting to come into question with both Bridges and Johnson. Yes, Bridges contributes defensively, but if we're playing 4 on 5 on offense with him in there... or 3 on 5 on offense with him and cam in there, that's going to start biting us in the ass.

all said, not panicking after last night's loss. this team is neither as bad as they looked last night, nor as good as they looked in the 5-2 start. I expect ups and downs this season and still stoked about progress. Now, they just need to go out and pound the Nets and get ready for another huge test against the Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good to see Ty Jerome putting up jump shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some things about Ricky Rubio so far through 9 games of the season (8 played)

1. 3 point shooting. 37.5%. Career best
2. 8.6 assists.
3. 2.3 turnovers. Career low.
4. 6.8 rebounds. Career best by a lot.

Just a few games ago, his outside shot looked horrible. He has improved his percentage a lot in a few games. His mid-range shot is still not good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose