RIP Tyler Skaggs

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you they haven’t? And I might have missed it - but where is the report that says the family is blaming the team??

They hired a lawyer and have openly said that a "team employee may have provided him the drugs"

I can't imagine how he ended up as a serial abuser when his family thinks it's everyone's fault but his

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence.

Kind of tarnishes his "untimely passing."

His family is shocked and is now focused on "finding the person who supplied him with dangerous drugs..."

:rolleyes:

This wasn't a teenager. He was a man who made poor life choices and it cost him his life. End of story.

Yep god forbid we have some personal accountability.

If I jump off a bridge, don't blame the bridge or the guy who built it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They hired a lawyer and have openly said that a "team employee may have provided him the drugs"

I can't imagine how he ended up as a serial abuser when his family thinks it's everyone's fault but his

Regardless... if a team employee is illegally distributing lethal drugs, go get him.
I don’t see that as simply a family removing their son from blame, but more so, a family attempting to stop someone from perhaps causing more deaths...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it difficult to interpret publicly announcing they hired a lawyer just in case the team is involved as anything other than trying to control the message.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It always amazes me how sanctimonious people get when something like this happens.

A seemingly healthy man died at the age of 25. This is a tragedy. If investigating his death and getting some answers serves to benefit the living, awesome.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It always amazes me how sanctimonious people get when something like this happens.

A seemingly healthy man died at the age of 25. This is a tragedy. If investigating his death and getting some answers serves to benefit the living, awesome.

Zactly! [emoji106]

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it is a tragedy. Hiring a lawyer has nothing to do with investigating his death. His family is doing him no favors in his death

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I agree it is a tragedy. Hiring a lawyer has nothing to do with investigating his death. His family is doing him no favors in his death

Depends. If part of the result exposes some dangerous practices that might still be goin on then it could be positive. Of course I have no idea what their motives are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyler Skaggs' family and the #Angels have lawyered up, and three investigations into his death are on. The results of those investigations could lead to a legal battle, with tens of millions -- or more -- at stake.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that this is a tragedy but its a personal tragedy not a public one. If the Skaggs family was unaware of his drug use or the personal demons Tyler was dealing with then how would they expect the Angels organization to know. It's not like the team was drug testing him on the regular or were turning a blind eye. Like many have said if a team employee was providing drugs then you deal with that person. Right now on initial perception, the Skaggs family looks to be going after a money grab and are holding others responsible for Tyler's actions. He was a grown ass man who I am sure heard or saw how drugs are bad and kill people but chose to take them anyway, no adult with a brain can claim they don't know drugs ruin lives.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I find it sad and detestable that several of you are so quick to judge and to cast the Skaggs family in such a negative light. Wow...

I hope none of us ever have to bury a child of ours...
In this case, the Skaggs family clearly believes their son was not a drug-user and apparently, never saw any behavior that suggested he was into drugs...
And yet, he dies from an overdose of a combination of some of the most powerful drugs on the planet and that can only be possessed, legally, by being prescribed.
So they clearly believe he didn’t have a cause to be in possession of a prescription.
I certainly can’t speak for any of you. But if this were my son, I’d be damned if I didn’t want to know exactly what happened and how my son came into possession of these drugs.
I find it hard to believe any of you would do any different...

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So, the $$$$ will give them closure or peace?
What a sad post!

If money is your priority, you'd react like that.

Have you considered that his parents wish he were still alive?

It sounds like they want to get to the bottom of it, as well
as protect other young men in the future.

Eventually, closure or peace of mind for his parents come
into play, as well.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So did that
I agree that this is a tragedy but its a personal tragedy not a public one. If the Skaggs family was unaware of his drug use or the personal demons Tyler was dealing with then how would they expect the Angels organization to know. It's not like the team was drug testing him on the regular or were turning a blind eye. Like many have said if a team employee was providing drugs then you deal with that person. Right now on initial perception, the Skaggs family looks to be going after a money grab and are holding others responsible for Tyler's actions. He was a grown ass man who I am sure heard or saw how drugs are bad and kill people but chose to take them anyway, no adult with a brain can claim they don't know drugs ruin lives.

Exactly. It was a horrible tragedy, but he took the drugs on his own. Why is the family looking to blame someone else?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Exactly. It was a horrible tragedy, but he took the drugs on his own. Why is the family looking to blame someone else?

Aw, Shaggy. Because someone provided him with the drugs that killed him. That makes him/them an accomplice.

Society's problem is not going to be alleviated by letting the dealers off the hook.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kron homered with four RBI's in his last D-backs game, but
it's been awhile.

8 or 9 of his 12 D-backs hits this season have been for extra
bases. I forget which Steve said.

At Reno, he had 38 HR's with 105 RBI's in less than a full season.

But he struck as a pinch-hitter leading off the inning today.

I question him being used as a leadoff hitter of an inning.
I'd go with less of a power hitter in that situation.

One shot in the game and he was literally out of position.
But that's the all-or-nothing mentality of today's MLB.

'Just my opinion.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a sad post!

If money is your priority, you'd react like that.

What?

and

"
Aw, Shaggy. Because someone provided him with the drugs that killed him. That makes him/them an accomplice.

Society's problem is not going to be alleviated by letting the dealers off the hook."

Is this a fact or your speculation and assumption?

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What?

and

Is this a fact or your speculation and assumption?

What, that it is not wrong for the young man's parents to want
authorities to pursue who provided the drugs that led to his death?

What, are we in court? This is a posting board of opinions.

That is my opinion. I don't believe that his parents are looking to
get rich off this.

Are we, as a society, becoming so calloused to drug related deaths
and mass murders that we forget the hurt of the victim's relatives?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, that it is not wrong for the young man's parents to want
authorities to pursue who provided the drugs that led to his death?

What, are we in court? This is a posting board of opinions.

That is my opinion. I don't believe that his parents are looking to
get rich off this.

Are we, as a society, becoming so calloused to drug related deaths
and mass murders that we forget the hurt of the victim's relatives?
:soapbox:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.

Not looking good for the Angels...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose