Jackson, Melton dumped

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The ultimate question is whether Ty Jerome and one year of Aron Baynes are going to be that much more effective than the combination of Melton, the Bucks pick and whomever the Suns could have signed with the money that is going to Baynes.

Can’t say atm but I like Jerome and never considered Melton a PG offensively.. I think he would’ve eventually been a backup combo that could guard both spots. Jerome will struggle defensively.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My friend works in the front office and Gordon’s name is at the top of the list for the 4 position. He knows the Suns and Orlando have talked about moving him. I guess the time isn’t right but his name has been up there since the end of the season. Could be a nothing burger. But he said the decision makers are very high on him.

Excellent - what of our top tier talent will we use to acquire said Gordon?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. Is he worth a first round pick in the next draft? Not saying the Suns would do that. Just asking if that's a good value?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gambo still saying a SG at vet minimum will be added.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You completely missed the point. His problems so far have been well documented. You're not even going to give a talented but enigmatic #4 pick a chance with a legitimate NBA coaching staff?

Maybe Monty doesn’t want him? Or at least not enough to convince Jones? I wonder if we’re find out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all knew sooner or later if kept making moves we would start to see picks being thrown out the door. I am actually suprised it
Just throwing this out there. Is he worth a first round pick in the next draft? Not saying the Suns would do that. Just asking if that's a good value?

Didn't Gordon recently sign an $80 million dollar contract?!?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You all knew sooner or later if kept making moves we would start to see picks being thrown out the door. I am actually suprised it

Didn't Gordon recently sign an $80 million dollar contract?!?
You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

No idea, ask me after next season. :D If Gordon were available for our pick this year, I would have done it in a second!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Aaron Gordan 16.8 mil per year. Not too bad. It's doable. Then you have cost certainty at PF for 5 years. or 4 by the time you get him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo still saying a SG at vet minimum will be added.

Well, given what we have seen this offseason with the nice-unathletic-guy approach, don't be surprised if it's Nik Stauskas, Furkan Korkmaz or Alex Abrines.

I maintain we still need another big more, but if the Suns are dead set on a shooting guard, my choices are Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Justin Holiday, Rodney McGruder, Iman Shumpert or Jodie Meeks.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of the four top rated players in that draft--by everyone--two are complete busts, one is a disappointment and still could be a bust, and one is OK. Tatum had a great rookie year but has settled back to more of an average player.

I was thrilled with Jackson. I would have liked Tatum. I would have taken Ball over Jackson given the opportunity.

It’s wild that three of the top four have been traded halfway through their rookie deals.

I guess re-ranked we’d have to go Tatum, Lonzo, then who? I guess Jackson because he’s at least been on the court. But he’s been so bad that it’s close.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe Monty doesn’t want him? Or at least not enough to convince Jones? I wonder if we’re find out.

Isn't the big selling point on Monty his relationship with players?

There is no getting around it - Josh Jackson has been a wasted talent so far. But he's only played for a couple of seasons through different coaches/teammates/systems. Yes, he makes some really stupid mistakes, but his athleticism and aggression are both things we DESPERATELY need.

Has he shown to be so irredeemable that they need to attach valuable 2nd rounders in lieu of keeping him around and seeing what he can do with a real coach and roster around him?

It's not like we're winning anything this year, and at least he has a hope of turning into something special - something you sure as hell can't say about any of our other young guys outside of Ayton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s wild that three of the top four have been traded halfway through their rookie deals.

I guess re-ranked we’d have to go Tatum, Lonzo, then who? I guess Jackson because he’s at least been on the court. But he’s been so bad that it’s close.
Most important lesson learned--tanking is absolutely not worth it. It destroys your culture, alienates your players, and is no guarantee of drafting good players--especially with the lottery system in place.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
New GM. New Coach. Now just three guys left from McDonough era. Right or wrong, this is a house cleaning. Remaking the team in James Jones vision. We have been talking about this for at least a month that JJ was gone.

You don't have to insult me with the "Since you work for the Suns, please tell me more about how Josh is ruining the culture." line. None of work for the front office. We ALL are speculating. Some of us based on sports reporting via radio, internet, and sewspaper!

I get your frustrated. Don't take it out on me in particular! :)

Taking what out on you? You very clearly assert - "you don't keep a guy around that's ruining the culture".

Where does it say anywhere he was ruining the culture or a locker room problem? I've never seen any quotes anywhere that he was a bad teammate or locker room influence. For a team that has often been softer than wet tissue, the Suns needed a chippier, more physical presence.

Now state radio and Gambo trashes him on the way out of town, and you're ready to take that as gospel?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's why character guys are good to bring in. JJ is an example of a guy with talent, but off court issues make you give up value to part ways with him. A guy with no issues is probably easier to get value for.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why character guys are good to bring in. JJ is an example of a guy with talent, but off court issues make you give up value to part ways with him. A guy with no issues is probably easier to get value for.
Kinda get the impression with the off-season issue of Holmes and JJ, that this team was a partying bunch. Good thing they did not have to go through airport security.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Taking what out on you? You very clearly assert - "you don't keep a guy around that's ruining the culture".

Where does it say anywhere he was ruining the culture or a locker room problem? I've never seen any quotes anywhere that he was a bad teammate or locker room influence. For a team that has often been softer than wet tissue, the Suns needed a chippier, more physical presence.

Now state radio and Gambo trashes him on the way out of town, and you're ready to take that as gospel?
How about I rewrite it "you don't keep a guy around that doesn't fit the new culture?"

I look at it this way, if James Jones felt JJ was a good culture guy, probably not using assets to move him.

Whether I asserted a certain viewpoint or not, your post came accross as attacking me personally. That's the way I percieved it.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
For those wanting to keep Korver....it would cost us Rubio at this point. Suns actually took back salary in the trade, however with Korver buy out price we gain the needed cap space to sign Rubio.

JJ - $7,059,480. T/O for 2020
Melton - $1,416,852. Q/O for 2020

Korver - $7,500,000. B/O for $3,400,000
Carter - $1,416,852. Q/O for 2020

Suns take on $440,520 in the trade
Need $2.7-2.9 for Rubio
Buyout of Korver gives them $4.1
Net cap space from trade $1.2-1.4 mil

I support James Jones and the moves that have been made. Addition by subtraction IMO. JJ had some great games where he actually won games for us last year, however, he cost us so many more with his play. As I stated in an earlier post, he has not acted as a professional since he's been here. His recent legal issues just compound it. Holmes I liked....a LOT...at least with his play and I think some of what he brought will hurt us losing it. Everyone is even more upset with the TJ trade. Does anyone have an inkling of an idea as to what his health status is? I'm quite sure the Suns do. He didn't play a game after "injuring his ankle" after 43 games. None of us know how bad that ankle may be. Also, he has been in the league 5 years and barely played half the season games. 40, 47, 66, 65 and 43. I liked his offensive play when he was on the court, but again how healthy is he, really?

James Jones is following some of the framework that the Nets and Jazz have done over the past few years. Build around your stars with Veteran leadership and solid role players.