James Jones hired as Suns General Manager

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even before whatever happens to Oubre, I'll give Jones a B.
A if we get to keep Oubre.

All the moves he made while keeping JJ and Tyler, those two were the most likely to have been traded/released/stretched by myself and some on this board. I give him props for that, they're provide a punch on the second unit, they have their flaws but i like the speed they play at.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One of the things not being mentioned in the media yet is the effect of next year's free agent class. If I am a GM and I know the free agents are not going to be great, that places an empahsis on trades. Probably see a few more trades before the deadline this year. James Jones has put us in position with TWO expiring contracts heading into the trade deadline.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jones has said he was going to do something and he's absolutely done it. Name another GM of any league and any team that has that kind of track record. Love or hate the moves, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

With McD, it was always canned responses to the same old questions. It's one of the most maddening things about professional sports--nobody says anything of substance.

When I watched the Suns last year, I noted that the Suns had about 4 or 5 players that were pretty good. Outside of those players, the rest of the roster was crap.

What that meant to me is that the focus of the offseason should be to acquire player 5-9 on the depth chart. I think the Suns have done that.

1. Booker
2. Ayton
3. Oubre
4. Bridges
5. Rubio
6. Saric
7. Baynes
8. Tyler Johnson
9. Frank Kaminsky
10. Cam Johnson
11. Jerome
12/13 Melton/Okobo

That is a decent roster now. Not nearly as bad as what Jones inherited. Better playmaking, shooting, and overall depth.

Now this is all dependent on the big four really growing over the next few years.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I watched the Suns last year, I noted that the Suns had about 4 or 5 players that were pretty good. Outside of those players, the rest of the roster was crap.

What that meant to me is that the focus of the offseason should be to acquire player 5-9 on the depth chart. I think the Suns have done that.

1. Booker
2. Ayton
3. Oubre
4. Bridges
5. Rubio
6. Saric
7. Baynes
8. Tyler Johnson
9. Frank Kaminsky
10. Cam Johnson
11. Jerome
12/13 Melton/Okobo

That is a decent roster now. Not nearly as bad as what Jones inherited. Better playmaking, shooting, and overall depth.

Now this is all dependent on the big four really growing over the next few years.
I kept saying our depth was crap. I started looking at playoff teams and their rosters to compare them to the Suns to see how far away we were from being a playoff team. I was shocked. I only follow the Suns and think all the team was just a couple guys away. Was I wrong! I kind of got depressed after doing comparasons.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. Booker
2. Ayton
3. Oubre
4. Bridges
5. Rubio
6. Saric
7. Baynes
8. Tyler Johnson
9. Frank Kaminsky
10. Cam Johnson
11. Jerome
12/13 Melton/Okobo

No Jackson? lol

The roster is definitely more compatible now. We had a bunch of small wings and two guards. Now it's definitely more balanced along with a proven pg.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For once I’m going to wait until the end of next season before I give him a grade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
that's no fun, what's the point then...hindsight
For me the point is, individually I’m okay with most of these moves. They are steps. But I don’t know if the aggregate will equate to a leap. Interested to find out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the potential of the moves, have to wait and see how it pans out though. It certainly isn't the offseason I'd imagined but we filled a lot of holes without adding a bunch of question marks so I'm good for now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones has said he was going to do something and he's absolutely done it. Name another GM of any league and any team that has that kind of track record. Love or hate the moves, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

With McD, it was always canned responses to the same old questions. It's one of the most maddening things about professional sports--nobody says anything of substance.

Lot's of GM's say they are going to do lots of things. I get your point on the generalities but man we have been through a ton of promises from GM's in this state. JJ can have some credit when he actually changes things around here. His strategy could end up being the right one.

I like the potential of the moves, have to wait and see how it pans out though. It certainly isn't the offseason I'd imagined but we filled a lot of holes without adding a bunch of question marks so I'm good for now.

I feel the opposite. It's like a tire with several holes. I think we patched up one maybe two but definitely don't feel confident that the tire isn't still going to leak with all of these cheap patches.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bunch of small moves is usually what makes a good team.

I think a bunch of small moves help a team that's on the cusp. small moves for a team that just had the worst season in franchise history... not sure that kind of thing moves the needle enough towards good. My fear is they move the team towards perpetual mediocrity.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I think a bunch of small moves help a team that's on the cusp. small moves for a team that just had the worst season in franchise history... not sure that kind of thing moves the needle enough towards good. My fear is they move the team towards perpetual mediocrity.

Mediocrity sounds pretty good at the moment....We've got a long way to go.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's a catch-22. What "big" move can a 19-win team accomplish? Nobody big will sign here as a free agent, and nobody wants to trade an all-star to a 19-win team because, by definition, they don't have any good assets to offer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's a catch-22. What "big" move can a 19-win team accomplish? Nobody big will sign here as a free agent, and nobody wants to trade an all-star to a 19-win team because, by definition, they don't have any good assets to offer.
Hmm, I’m not sure I agree. It seems we had a ton of assets at certain junctures and we parsed them out one at a time here, and there. Lakers first round picks, heat first round picks, Milwaukee picks, our own picks, JJ before this year had value, and I believe Warren had value (shoot didn’t someone post that there was an offer for Warren for a pick instead of our fire sale)? You find the right opportunity they could’ve packaged a bunch of that, or all of that. I’m not saying it would’ve worked, but to say the big trade was an impossibility isn’t necessarily true imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hmm, I’m not sure I agree. It seems we had a ton of assets at certain junctures and we parsed them out one at a time here, and there. Lakers first round picks, heat first round picks, Milwaukee picks, our own picks, JJ before this year had value, and I believe Warren had value (shoot didn’t someone post that there was an offer for Warren for a pick instead of our fire sale)? You find the right opportunity they could’ve packaged a bunch of that, or all of that. I’m not saying it would’ve worked, but to say the big trade was an impossibility isn’t necessarily true imo.

Could they have traded for Jimmy Butler? Kawhi Leonard? Would those moves have been smart?

I just fail to see the big moves you and Cheese are talking about. Kyrie Irving? That would have been a disaster. DLo? Suns had Bledsoe at the time and after what he did to Nick Young he was kind of a pariah for a bit.

To bring in the big fish, the Suns need a foundation first. Or maybe Booker and Ayton develop, and THEN the Suns make the big trade. But those two arent going to develop right without a solid core around them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could they have traded for Jimmy Butler? Kawhi Leonard? Would those moves have been smart?

I just fail to see the big moves you and Cheese are talking about. Kyrie Irving? That would have been a disaster. DLo? Suns had Bledsoe at the time and after what he did to Nick Young he was kind of a pariah for a bit.

To bring in the big fish, the Suns need a foundation first. Or maybe Booker and Ayton develop, and THEN the Suns make the big trade. But those two arent going to develop right without a solid core around them.

Trying to trade for Bradley Beal might have made some sense if the Suns had not signed Rubio.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I think that's the key. Nobody is going to a team that wins 19-25 games, unless they are in a huge market. Suns need to be decent before they can be good, and they have to be good before they can be great. They have the big pieces needed to be good- Booker and Ayton, along with Bridges and Oubre (presumably.) Beyond that, they had nothing last year. This year (theoretically, at least) they should have an actual NBA team around the young core. Rubio, Johnson, Saric, Baynes, and even Kaminsky are all legitimate NBA players. That's nine NBA players on the roster already. The two rookies should be able to contribute something off the bench too. Jones is doing exactly what he needed to do this offseason.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think that's the key. Nobody is going to a team that wins 19-25 games, unless they are in a huge market. Suns need to be decent before they can be good, and they have to be good before they can be great. They have the big pieces needed to be good- Booker and Ayton, along with Bridges and Oubre (presumably.) Beyond that, they had nothing last year. This year (theoretically, at least) they should have an actual NBA team around the young core. Rubio, Johnson, Saric, Baynes, and even Kaminsky are all legitimate NBA players. That's nine NBA players on the roster already. The two rookies should be able to contribute something off the bench too. Jones is doing exactly what he needed to do this offseason.

Agreed. Phoenix IS a desirable market to go to IF they are already good.

The Suns have added 4-5 NBA PLAYERS.

Like I said, when I would watch the Suns, the #1 I noticed was the lack of real NBA players outside the top 4 or 5 players on the roster. That was the primary reason the team has been losing so much.

Develop our own and add to the core once the team is within striking distance. That could even be the trade deadline this year. Package TJ, Oubre, and picks for a star, and BOOM thr Suns could be a contender that has complimentary pieces to help them win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m not saying there was an obvious deal to be made, but there was the most talent available this year than we’ve ever seen. And ultimately I expect my front office to be creative. More creative than I, a fan, can certainly be in concocting ways to get better.

Again, individually I understand and can support each move. But I’m unsure I see the path to greatness in the big picture right now. I believe if it does occur, it eventually (like four seasons away) will be without the majority of additions from this offseason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. Phoenix IS a desirable market to go to IF they are already good.

The Suns have added 4-5 NBA PLAYERS.

Like I said, when I would watch the Suns, the #1 I noticed was the lack of real NBA players outside the top 4 or 5 players on the roster. That was the primary reason the team has been losing so much.

Develop our own and add to the core once the team is within striking distance. That could even be the trade deadline this year. Package TJ, Oubre, and picks for a star, and BOOM thr Suns could be a contender that has complimentary pieces to help them win.
It that’s just it, we don’t have picks (other than own - so that’s mortgaging our future entirely) and the whole expiring contract thing as an asset really seems to be a thing of the past unless it’s free agent season and teams need to clear space now. Isn’t that what we saw this past year? No one cleared space during the season but teams like the hawks got picks during free agency to help clear space for other teams, and even in that scenario it was the other team getting the talent, not the team sending out the expiring.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m not saying there was an obvious deal to be made, but there was the most talent available this year than we’ve ever seen. And ultimately I expect my front office to be creative. More creative than I, a fan, can certainly be in concocting ways to get better.

Again, individually I understand and can support each move. But I’m unsure I see the path to greatness in the big picture right now. I believe if it does occur, it eventually (like four seasons away) will be without the majority of additions from this offseason.

The path to greatness is surrounding the core with legitimate NBA talent.

How does Ayton develop if he doesn't get legit entry passes?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know the fear is not reaching mediocrity, but remaining there.
I agree we should grab an all star when we have a chance. I just don't think that's the game DLO has for our squad. Plus, in the history of Phoenix, we have had some very good back courts. Our achilles heel, bigs! Say the free agent had been a dynamic PF, I would have been more on board for "the reach." I do agree with Bickley's view that IF an All-Star wants to come here in their prime, we should grab them. Just where we are locking in one of our max slots to DLO means we are going DLO, Booker, Ayton as our big three. Is that good enough to get a title? I don't know.