James Jones hired as Suns General Manager

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It all depends on who answers to whom. If Jones answers to Bower, fine. If Bower answers to Jones, the the Bower hire is a hoax and meant just to pacify the fans by deceiving them into thinking anything has changed.

Jones is already on record as not wanting to perform certain GM functions. Is he left to perform them anyway, but with no pasdion or desire for the same, or are those duties being reassigned away from the GM position?
It’s already on record that Bower and Bukstein will report to Jones. Only person Jones reports to will be Sarver.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here are some comments from Robert Sarver about the hire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Jeff Bower is "Senior VP of Basketball Operations", but Jones as General Manager is "the leader of our basketball operations"?

Which is it? Who reports to whom? From an organization chart perspective, that is double-talk and reflects Sarver's lack of coherence.

It breeds inconsistency and lack of confidence. Every statement is for the moment. It sounds so much like Washington, D.C. Really!

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jeff Bower is "Senior VP of Basketball Operations", but Jones as General Manager is "the leader of our basketball operations"?

Which is it? Who reports to whom? From an organization chart perspective, that is double-talk and reflects Sarver's lack of coherence.

It breeds inconsistency and lack of confidence. Every statement is for the moment. It sounds so much like Washington, D.C.

sunsfan88 said:
It’s already on record that Bower and Bukstein will report to Jones. Only person Jones reports to will be Sarver.

If the new Senior Vice President of Basketball Operations (experienced) reports to the General Manager (with very little experience), it shows that Sarver is still favoring his "yes" men.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It breed inconsistency and lack of confidence. Every statement is for the moment. It sounds so much like Washington, D.C. Really!

The terminology gets a little loose. Jones reports to Sarver. Bowers reports to Jones.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The terminology gets a little loose. Jones reports to Sarver. Bowers reports to Jones.

Which basically means it is Sarver still making the calls and a bumbling Jones trying to execute them.

The NBA really, really needs to intervene ASAP.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said. I would love to see the mgmt flow chart on this. How can you have a VP of anything without a President? Bower is filling this role temporarily until JJ gets fired. It's the Sarver way.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said. I would love to see the mgmt flow chart on this. How can you have a VP of anything without a President? Bower is filling this role temporarily until JJ gets fired. It's the Sarver way.

Look at the Suns staff directory, it might provide some answers. It hasn't been updated with Bowers yet but I imagine it will be in the next day or two. Right now it has Jason Rowley listed as the President but he is an executive. It's not uncommon for a team or business to name the top person in a division the VP though because there is generally someone above them like Sarver who oversee everything and rather than give him a super long title where he's the President of Basketball Operations, President of Talent, President of Marketing, so on and so forth the top person gets a VP title with the understanding they only answer to the main managing member of the company or owner like Sarver. You can see that pattern with the Suns staff directory.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.nba.com/suns/directory/staff#

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Alright, time to fess up... which one of you posters is this?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
How does that even work? I am pretty sure if I call the cops to say my neighbor is cursing at me, they would just laugh it off. I would have to be afraid for my safety or something to get someone arrested. I am pretty sure if Poop Head saw me on the street and started cursing at me, I couldn't get him arrested for it!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you read the article it explains what happened. Apparently he had seats near Sarver and after Sarver took his seat the kid and his friend started hurling insults at him. Arena security came over and told him to shut it but he persisted and then was removed from the game. While being removed the arena he apparently chest bumped a cop trying to push him out of the way. He was charged with criminal trespassing and aggravated assault. He's lucky he didn't get charged with assaulting an officer. The kid is 18, so I guess he's not legally a "kid" but based on his actions he's not really an adult either. Being 18 I guess being drunk can be ruled out though.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Jones get credit for turning our roster and coaching staff around in his debut off-season?

Moved during 18-19 season:

Canaan
Ariza
Anderson
Chandler
Spalding, Acy, Fridette - 10 day guys

Gone:

Warren
Holmes
Daniels
Bender
Crawford

Now:

Rubio/Melton/Okobo
Booker/Tyler
Bridges/Jackson/(Oubre)
Ayton/Baynes
Saric/Kaminsky

Johnson/Jerome

Could McD or anyone else have done any better?

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does Jones get credit for turning our roster and coaching staff around in his debut off-season?

Canaan
Ariza
Anderson
Chandler

Gone:

Warren
Holmes
Daniels
Bender
Crawford

Now:

Rubio/Melton/Okobo
Booker/Tyler
Bridges/Jackson/(Oubre)
Ayton/Baynes
Saric/Kaminsky

Culver/Johnson/Jerome

Culver?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Canaan
Ariza
Anderson
Chandler

Gone:

Warren
Holmes
Daniels
Bender
Crawford

Now:

Rubio/Melton/Okobo
Booker/Tyler
Bridges/Jackson/(Oubre)
Ayton/Baynes
Saric/Kaminsky

Culver/Johnson/Jerome

Obviously you goofed on Culver, but I think he should get credit for doing what he said he would do.

He has said for months that he wanted to make a big roster turnover and get many more vets and he has delivered on just that.

I would guess there are other GMs that could have pulled it off as well, but I don't know if any of the available ones could have.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you goofed on Culver, but I think he should get credit for doing what he said he would do.

He has said for months that he wanted to make a big roster turnover and get many more vets and he has delivered on just that.

I would guess there are other GMs that could have pulled it off as well, but I don't know if any of the available ones could have.

I think we are awaiting grades on the trade for Oubre. The moves could range from an C to an A depending on what happens in the off season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we are awaiting grades on the trade for Oubre. The moves could range from an C to an A depending on what happens in the off season.
You mean based on whether or not Oubre returns and for how much?

I agree that the grade is certainly incomplete, but Jones should definitely get credit for doing exactly what he said he would. He said he would overhaul the roster with veterans and he has absolutely delivered on that. He might not even be done yet either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean based on whether or not Oubre returns and for how much?

I agree that the grade is certainly incomplete, but Jones should definitely get credit for doing exactly what he said he would. He said he would overhaul the roster with veterans and he has absolutely delivered on that. He might not even be done yet either.

I was saying, depending on what happens with Oubre, his grades range from a C to an A so I am giving him credit.

I'm awaiting to see how much credit. If Jones keeps Oubre, I give him an A.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am assuming we sign Oubre. Gambo is saying another 2 guard is on the way. Looks like we are trying to load up on shooting which as a team we were abysmal. So I like James Jones looking to solve two of our biggest problems this off season, guys playing out of position, and abysmal shooting. With the limited resources we had, I am satisfied on paper with his moves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's important to note that Jones said he would bring in vets but not just any vets, he wanted midcareer vets that have years of quality play in front of them rather than aging vets looking for one last payday. He has done that, for sure.

He hasn't been afraid to spend either, which McD seemed like he was, in a way. If McD couldn't sign someone to a value contract then he didn't sign anyone. It makes me wonder who he tried to get over the years that turned down the offer based on pay.

Jones grade is incomplete based on Oubre's deal still be discussed but he's earned a C for this offseason at the least.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Canaan
Ariza
Anderson
Chandler

Gone:

Warren
Holmes
Daniels
Bender
Crawford

Now:

Rubio/Melton/Okobo
Booker/Tyler
Bridges/Jackson/(Oubre)
Ayton/Baynes
Saric/Kaminsky

Culver/Johnson/Jerome

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I've liked the majority of the moves made by Jones so far.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I've liked the majority of the moves made by Jones so far.
Jones has said he was going to do something and he's absolutely done it. Name another GM of any league and any team that has that kind of track record. Love or hate the moves, he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do.

With McD, it was always canned responses to the same old questions. It's one of the most maddening things about professional sports--nobody says anything of substance.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD claimed the Suns would be aggressive in making changes and improving the team last offseason. What moves were made that could be considered aggressive? I think the Bridges trade is the only one that comes close to that.

James Jones said he wanted to add talent to this team that weren't on the downside of their careers. He said he wanted winners and high character players that could help on the court as much as they would in the locker room. He's done that and he's been aggressive in doing that.

I can't fault James Jones for following his plan, now that his plan is easier to see after he's made a few moves in free agency that help provide some reasoning as to why he made the draft day moves he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson