2019 Free Agency

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just heard on TV GS had to get rid of Iggy to fit DLO onto the squad. 29 mil is a lot to make room for.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nobody is reporting what the Warriors gave up? I know they traded Iggy to Memphis and I don't know if that means Iggy is retiring or not but nobody seems to know what the Warriors gave up for Russell?

I'm not a huge fan of his I think he's more flash than substance but he'll be a nice fit with Klay out and if they really got the deal without giving up a core guy I'm happy. I still want to see but my guess is iggy was done to make caproom to keep Looney but not sure.

Ok now i get it they did a sign and trade with Durant and Russell.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Not impossible, but we would have had to stretch Tyler Johnson and unload Josh Jackson, something I would have done in a second (especially since Jackson is gone, anyway).

Again, to me it comes down to what the Suns do with the $12 million per season they saved by signing Rubio instead.

I highly doubt that DLO would have rejected Golden State for any team, let alone Sarver's Suns. LOL

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have preferred Joe Harris but obviously you don't give him a max deal so it probably wouldn't have worked cap wise. Better defender and knockdown shooter.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So nobody is reporting what the Warriors gave up? I know they traded Iggy to Memphis and I don't know if that means Iggy is retiring or not but nobody seems to know what the Warriors gave up for Russell?

I'm not a huge fan of his I think he's more flash than substance but he'll be a nice fit with Klay out and if they really got the deal without giving up a core guy I'm happy. I still want to see but my guess is iggy was done to make caproom to keep Looney but not sure.

Lightly protected 1st.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wow. Talk about mortgaging the future.

Just when Steph and Klay are ancient they give away all their picks

Edit: Wait they are saying 1 pick, not 3. That's not bad at all.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I assume they are talking Iggy

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought they were giving up KD? He is going to Brooklyn and makes enough for everything they're getting back.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Russell is a weird fit for GS. Not sure that makes them any better, except that they are less short handed next year. After Klay comes back, I don't see it working.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were over the cap.

So? They had KD's bird rights and could sign and trade him. I don't see how being over the cap effects that. They sign and trade KD to Brooklyn and Brooklyn signs and trades Russell.

It's like how Boston, Brooklyn, and Charlotte are working on a 3 team sign & trade to move their pieces around also. Kyrie to Brooklyn, Rozier to Charlotte, and Kemba to Boston.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So? They had KD's bird rights and could sign and trade him. I don't see how being over the cap effects that. They sign and trade KD to Brooklyn and Brooklyn signs and trades Russell.

It's like how Boston, Brooklyn, and Charlotte are working on a 3 team sign & trade to move their pieces around also. Kyrie to Brooklyn, Rozier to Charlotte, and Kemba to Boston.

I forgot about the KD sign and trade.

I don't know, maybe that deal was already submitted and couldn't be modified?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right that's what they did. I missed in the initial report that KD was being traded in the sign and trade with Russell. It makes sense now.

The claim is Iggy will be bought out by memphis and be a FA and might end up a Laker. Lakers fans on the UCLA board I read all seem convinced Kawhi is going to be a Laker now and that's why Russell wound up a warrior not a Laker.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the KD sign and trade.

I don't know, maybe that deal was already submitted and couldn't be modified?

I think they're clearing cap room to keep Looney.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russell is a weird fit for GS. Not sure that makes them any better, except that they are less short handed next year. After Klay comes back, I don't see it working.

I don't see why not.

Klay can move to the 3 and take Durant's spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Portis agrees to sign with Knicks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bobby Portis agrees to sign with Knicks.

I know he punched a teammate a couple years ago, but if that is what Portis got we might be waaaaaaaaaaay too nervous about Oubre's market.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not.

Klay can move to the 3 and take Durant's spot.

I think the 3 of them can play together I'm just not a huge fan of Russell on defense but apparently he improved enough last season the Warriors think he can play with Klay out. it makes some sense if Curry has to be the bigger scoring option you need a 2 who can playmake and Russell can. So they can both be sort of combo guards and the offense will run through Draymond. If they can keep Looney then you have Damian Jones at the 5 to give them some rim protection.

I still would have preferred Joe Harris for defense and knockdown 3's but I guess Russell could work out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave