Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
How much does he know? If we backload Rubio's contract instead of taking the $51m divided by 4, we could easily fit him.
I have been saying that since the signing was announced. Thank you @Chaplin!

Lots of guys have contracts that grow every year!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure players can only have 8% annual increases unless they are coming off a rookie deal. The only players I've seen have a back loaded contract were RFA's coming off of their rookie deal. I believe it's called the poison pill provision.

You are right on the poison pill but 8% is if you're retaining your own players otherwise it's 5%. It's less than $1 million a year in total though so I don't see it as much of an issue to over come. Move Melton and Okobo and we get it done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are right on the poison pill but 8% is if you're retaining your own players otherwise it's 5%. It's less than $1 million a year in total though so I don't see it as much of an issue to over come. Move Melton and Okobo and we get it done.
You're right, I forgot about that. Either way, it seems we could easily clear $2.6m.

Trade Josh Jackson to NYK for nothing and suddenly we're still players in free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, I forgot about that. Either way, it seems we could easily clear $2.6m.

Trade Josh Jackson to NYK for nothing and suddenly we're still players in free agency.

Either the Knicks or trade him to Cleveland for JR Smith, who moved his guarantee date back. The Knicks haven't done anything that makes sense but Koby Altman, the Cavs GM, has long been a fan of Jackson and nixed the Bledsoe deal because he wasn't included. Now he can get him for nothing, essentially. I think the Suns want more but they could send Jackson, Melton, and Okobo there for JR and then waive him. His salary is $15 million but only $3 million guaranteed. So we'd actually open up some space that way. Enough to have basically 2 more deals around the size of the room exception, one being with cap space and the other being the room exception itself.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Either the Knicks or trade him to Cleveland for JR Smith, who moved his guarantee date back. The Knicks haven't done anything that makes sense but Koby Altman, the Cavs GM, has long been a fan of Jackson and nixed the Bledsoe deal because he wasn't included. Now he can get him for nothing, essentially. I think the Suns want more but they could send Jackson, Melton, and Okobo there for JR and then waive him. His salary is $15 million but only $3 million guaranteed. So we'd actually open up some space that way. Enough to have basically 2 more deals around the size of the room exception, one being with cap space and the other being the room exception itself.
Then hopefully he's pissed going to the Suns and retires. Maybe that would free up the 3 mil?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bickley butt hurt we didn't get DLo. He's been writting articles of doom if we did not sign him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bickley is always butt-hurt about something. He's a straight-up clown.
Signing Rubio is one of the many moves to ignite the Suns becoming an actual NBA team. You are not getting top tier free agents when you are the worst team in the league. It's about building some credibility now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bickley butt hurt we didn't get DLo. He's been writting articles of doom if we did not sign him.

I agree with him 100%

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It at least feels like they have a plan. A distributing PG surrounded by some shooters. It might work. I'd like to see a better PF.

As far as not getting Russell, it could also be possible that the Suns were not thrilled at the idea of having Bookers pal here. I suppose it doesn't really matter, no one would turn down the Warriors to come here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bickley is always butt-hurt about something. He's a straight-up clown.
Signing Rubio is one of the many moves to ignite the Suns becoming an actual NBA team. You are not getting top tier free agents when you are the worst team in the league. It's about building some credibility now.

Didn't people say the exact same thing when we signed Tyson Chandler and Trevor Ariza?...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just yesterday you said you'd be fine with Rubio.

I'm okay with Rubio, but only because some of the other options being bandied about (Joseph, Rozier, McConnell, Cook, nobody) were downright frightening. He was fifth on my acceptable list, behind Brogdon, Russell, Beverley and Wright.

I was commenting on the "building some credibility" comment. At some point, this front office will need to acquire a third star to have any hope of keeping up with the rest of the NBA, and that is assuming Booker and Ayton develop into superstars. Settling for second tier guys indefinitely isn't going to take this team anywhere.

As I said previously, if the cost savings between an All-Star in Russell and a below average starter (though indeed a starter, which is better than what we had) nets something of value basketball-wise, rather than money in Sarver's pocket, I can get behind this. If it is just about the cost savings, I will not be pleased, and far more important, neither will Booker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm okay with Rubio, but only because some of the other options being bandied about (Joseph, Rozier, McConnell, Cook, nobody) were downright frightening. He was fifth on my acceptable list, behind Brogdon, Russell, Beverley and Wright.

I was commenting on the "building some credibility" comment. At some point, this front office will need to acquire a third star to have any hope of keeping up with the rest of the NBA, and that is assuming Booker and Ayton develop into superstars. Settling for second tier guys indefinitely isn't going to take this team anywhere.

As I said previously, if the cost savings between an All-Star in Russell and a below average starter (though indeed a starter, which is better than what we had) nets something of value basketball-wise, rather than money in Sarver's pocket, I can get behind this. If it is just about the cost savings, I will not be pleased, and far more important, neither will Booker.
How do we know Bridges or Oubre wont be those guys? Just saying...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How do we know Bridges or Oubre wont be those guys? Just saying...

Because Bridges can't put the ball on the floor or create his own shot. He was always billed as having the ceiling of a good complimentary guy, not a star.

As for Oubre, he isn't re-signed yet, and over the course of four seasons, he too has demonstrated a ceiling of a good complimentary guy, not a star. I love what he brings to the table, but at this point, what you see is what you get with him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Uh huh... so... if you're fine with it... maybe resist the knee jerk you always display and stop ******** on every mildly positive post.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am good with this. I think as long as he is on the floor with Booker and other offensive minded players he is good.

Keep in mind 52% of his assists were finished at the rim. Which means teams have problems keeping him away from the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Because Bridges can't put the ball on the floor or create his own shot. He was always billed as having the ceiling of a good complimentary guy, not a star.

As for Oubre, he isn't re-signed yet, and over the course of four seasons, he too has demonstrated a ceiling of a good complimentary guy, not a star. I love what he brings to the table, but at this point, what you see is what you get with him.
Just saying Bridges is still developing. We haven't seen his ceiling yet.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I saw that Holmes was getting interest from Chicago, Bucks, Lakers, and a few other teams. He's not signing for the minimum. Regardless of Holmes coming back or not, Baynes is better than Holmes. He was the best defensive big on Boston's team last year and he can also stretch the floor. He may be used with Ayton some, situationally, but it won't be often.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-bucks-bulls-interested-richaun-holmes/

Holmes showed a lot on the D end last season, and his offense was also a pleasant surprise. I'd hope they consider keeping him in the fold. Baynes is a 1 yr. rental. I'd strongly consider trading him if we'd get Holmes on similar $$ for 3-4 yrs. He's fit in nicely here.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Keep in mind 52% of his assists were finished at the rim. Which means teams have problems keeping him away from the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll be huge for Ayton and the other bigs.

And a Very good tutor for Ty Jerome and company.

Add in an experienced Montey Williams and we should see some breaking out at points next year. They just need to limit the losing streaks to no more then 2-3 max.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Im coming around to this move for a lot of the reasons mentioned. The thing that still erks me is giving away TJ for nothing and using that cap to get a comparable player at twice the price.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im coming around to this move for a lot of the reasons mentioned. The thing that still erks me is giving away TJ for nothing and using that cap to get a comparable player at twice the price.

Who is the comparable player at twice the price? We didn't sign anyone today but Rubio and he's not twice the price TJ was and he's not comparable to him either in terms of playstyle. TJ Is the furthest thing from a PG like Rubio out there as a wing who doesn't pass or play defense.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In retrospect, I’m kind of glad that we didn’t get D-Lo. I think my excitement for him was more about getting top-tier free agents than it was about finding the right fit. I think Rubio has a chance to be better for this team than D-Lo. Rubio will make everyone better, including Booker, and gives Ayton the best chance to score > 20 ppg. I almost think that Russell would’ve made Ayton worse and would’ve torpedoed the salary cap for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose