2019 Free Agency

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its going to be tough to stomach if our offseason is Baynes/Joseph/saric while the Lakers add AD and Walker.

Its one thing if the suns try their hardest to land Russel or another top guy and strike out. As a fan I'm ok with that. Focusing on bottom feeders for cap considerations while passing on real talent will frustrate fans and Booker.

Booker is going to be well aware of how hard the suns pursue Russell. If the Suns play it safe, pass on Russell for Joseph to save a few bucks we better win next season or it will rip this team apart.

IMO they need to make a real attempt at bringing in Russell or another top guy and retain Oubre. We will need both to be competitive and generate excitement next season.
Booker already knows how hard they are going to pursue Russell. If they are smart and they are giving him a big offer, they already told Booker what it would be and Booker has already “let it slip” to DLo. Just like LBron is doing with Kawhi.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
SAS on first take reporting that Kawhi to the Lakers is really gaining steam.
Man that would really piss me off and move my disdain for the nba further down the continuum. I appreciated Kawhi for taking a close team over the top. But then taking the path of least resistance kinda unwinds his hard work last year bc he didn’t choose to go to the raptors and win, he didn’t have a choice.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man that would really piss me off and move my disdain for the nba further down the continuum. I appreciated Kawhi for taking a close team over the top. But then taking the path of least resistance kinda unwinds his hard work last year bc he didn’t choose to go to the raptors and win, he didn’t have a choice.
Kawhi really is a weird dude.
He goes from being the best player in the NBA, to playing second fiddle to Lebron? Come on man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Suns have interest in Brogdon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Warriors keep Durant, and Kyrie is interested in the Lakers, then DLo will remain with the Nets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from the Ramona Shelburne and Brian Windhorst article:

This year, the player who seems to be squarely in that zone is restricted free-agent guard Malcolm Brogdon. With the Milwaukee Bucks facing a luxury-tax bill if they re-sign Khris Middleton, as they are expected to do, teams could challenge Milwaukee with a so-called toxic offer sheet for Brogdon. League executives believe a team could construct an offer sheet with the highest salary next season and then descending payments combined with a player option and possible bonuses that the Bucks might have to pay, but a new team might not.

The Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics (if they don't land Kemba Walker), Phoenix Suns and Mavericks could consider an offer sheet for Brogdon and test the Bucks.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27053873/what-warriors-do-keep-team-together

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be able to offer a big contract for Brogdon, the Suns need to stretch Johnson.

Then the Suns risk losing both Tyler Johnson and Brogdon if the Bucks match.

They would have to have a backup plan... Rubio or Joseph?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be able to offer a big contract for Brogdon, the Suns need to stretch Johnson.

Not necessarily because they cap use Oubre's cap hold to make an offer to a restricted free agent. If the Bucks decide to decline their right to match then we'd need to clear space to make the signing work but the offer sheet could be extended without having to waive Johnson.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not necessarily because they cap use Oubre's cap hold to make an offer to a restricted free agent. If the Bucks decide to decline their right to match then we'd need to clear space to make the signing work but the offer sheet could be extended without having to waive Johnson.

Are you sure if we use this RFA loophole that we are not then required to renounce Oubre if the Bucks do not match?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Are you sure if we use this RFA loophole that we are not then required to renounce Oubre if the Bucks do not match?

Shouldn't need to. Cap hit is the same. The deal averages out the same no matter what.

This is just a poison pill that is used to stop teams from matching as it only affects the luxury tax.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
SAS now reporting that the Warriors are going to offer KD the super max.

If GS does that, it means Thompson is gone. There is no way they tie up their cap with two max guys who aren't even playing next year, and who knows how well either returns from their injuries.

Would the Lakers take Thompson if they strike out on Kyrie/Kawhi? Would they take him over Russell, who is a lesser talent, but could actually play next year? The Lakers are on the clock, too, with Lebron getting older.

It's an interesting quandary.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shouldn't need to. Cap hit is the same. The deal averages out the same no matter what.

This is just a poison pill that is used to stop teams from matching as it only affects the luxury tax.

I'm not sure you're catching what I mean. Say you use Oubre's cap hold to offer a restricted free agent a contract. The RFA's current team decides not to match. Even if we have other ways of creating the cap space to take on the contract, are we now required by rule to renounce Oubre since we used his cap hold to offer the contract in the first place?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not necessarily because they cap use Oubre's cap hold to make an offer to a restricted free agent.

Even with only Oubre's cap hold the Suns can offer no more than 14 mil. as a starting salary.

That is not enogh to get Brogdon to sign an offer sheet.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SAS on first take reporting that Kawhi to the Lakers is really gaining steam.
If Kawhi ends up with Lakers I could see them get Rose too and then just fill out rest of roster with over the hill vets for bench depth.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
If GS does that, it means Thompson is gone. There is no way they tie up their cap with two max guys who aren't even playing next year, and who knows how well either returns from their injuries.

Would the Lakers take Thompson if they strike out on Kyrie/Kawhi? Would they take him over Russell, who is a lesser talent, but could actually play next year? The Lakers are on the clock, too, with Lebron getting older.

It's an interesting quandary.
Nah, if KD takes the offer with GS they'll keep both Klay and KD and take the hit. They will have the money to spend with the new arena opening this next season. It may be Draymond who would be the odd man out after next season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kawhi really is a weird dude.
He goes from being the best player in the NBA, to playing second fiddle to Lebron? Come on man.

To every smart fan, Lebron would be playing second fiddle to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson