2019 Free Agency

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
6/28/19, 2:03 PM
Milwaukee guard George Hill will be waived and become a free agent, league sources tell ⁦‪@TheAthleticNBA‬⁩ ⁦‪@Stadium‬⁩. Hill had a terrific finish to the season and will be a sought-after combo guard on the market. Bucks are working to find space to re-sign Hill, too.
Likely going to a playoff team. I would like him a lot more than Ricky Rubio or other second tier guys we are rumored to be looking at.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You don't "use" Oubre's cap hold to create cap space. Even if you do nothing, Oubre's cap hold keeps counting against your cap until you extend him or match his offer sheet or withdraw the the QO and renounce his rights.

So if you offer a RFA an offer sheet while Oubre's cap hold is counting against your cap (that's the basic/starting condition) and their team matches the offer, then you just returned into your starting position.

This misses the point of my post. I'm quite aware the Oubre cap hold remains if the other team matches.

You are factoring Oubre's cap hold into your cap space. You don't actually have the free space without renouncing Oubre, but because Oubre is a RFA, and you're offering a contract to another RFA, you're allowed to use your own player's cap hold to factor into your space. From what I understand, this is a loophole restricted to only other RFA's. You cannot factor Oubre's cap hold into your cap space if you go after an UFA. So, since this is a loophole, technicality, whatever, is there some catch, like if you use this loophole to make an offer to a RFA, and the RFA's team does not match, are you then bound by rule to renounce your own RFA to honor the contract? No other cap shaving measures allowed.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to offer the Bucks an asset not to match. I would give them a pick.

I've never heard of a rule that specifically prohibits this but I'd wager that the league and Players Association would consider that as an attempt to circumvent the Free Agent process and the penalty would be quick and significant.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NOt at all, just a formality. They can rescind that when they want to.

True, another team could make an offer for DLo, Nets don't match. I was implying that maybe talks with Kyrie and KD fell through, so they made the offer.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
NOt at all, just a formality. They can rescind that when they want to.
Indeed. All it does is protect them from a scenario in which they don't land Kyrie or whoever they are targeting. They'd be silly not to offer the qualifying offer.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This misses the point of my post. I'm quite aware the Oubre cap hold remains if the other team matches.

You are factoring Oubre's cap hold into your cap space. You don't actually have the free space without renouncing Oubre, but because Oubre is a RFA, and you're offering a contract to another RFA, you're allowed to use your own player's cap hold to factor into your space. From what I understand, this is a loophole restricted to only other RFA's. You cannot factor Oubre's cap hold into your cap space if you go after an UFA. So, since this is a loophole, technicality, whatever, is there some catch, like if you use this loophole to make an offer to a RFA, and the RFA's team does not match, are you then bound by rule to renounce your own RFA to honor the contract? No other cap shaving measures allowed.

You miss something basic.

Oubre's cap hold does count in your team salary: not because he is a RFA, not because you sign another RFA to an offer sheet, it does count in your team salary because that is the rule. It counts in your team salary (therefore decreases your cap space) until you withdraw the qualifying offer and renounce his right OR let him sign to another team OR extend him and after his new contract will count in your pay-roll.

I don't know how you mean "you can not factor Oubre's cap hold into your cap space". Oubre's cap hold decreases your cap space.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, another team could make an offer for DLo, Nets don't match. I was implying that maybe talks with Kyrie and KD fell through, so they made the offer.
No. They can keep those talks going. As soon as they come to an agreement with KD and Kyrie, they can rescind the offer to DLo. This is just a way for the Nets to have insurance in case the talks fall through. For them to not extend a QO to DLo would be irresponsible and would look like they are already talking with KD and Kyrie, which would be tampering.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What talks? Free agency hasn't started yet and it would be against the rules for them to be negotiating with free agents already.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What talks? Free agency hasn't started yet and it would be against the rules for them to be negotiating with free agents already.

I am assume you are being sarcastic.

There is a reason a ton of deals get announced very quickly after the deadline, because they get agreed to before it obviously.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. They can keep those talks going. As soon as they come to an agreement with KD and Kyrie, they can rescind the offer to DLo. This is just a way for the Nets to have insurance in case the talks fall through. For them to not extend a QO to DLo would be irresponsible and would look like they are already talking with KD and Kyrie, which would be tampering.

sounds like we're saying the same thing? lol

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So. The Suns basically have $13 million in cap space right now (including Oubre's cap hold). If they can move Jackson, that is another $7 million. If they stretch Tyler, they could get another 12.8. So effectively they could have $33 million in cap to work with, if they want (and if they could move JJ). If they renounce Oubre, they could have $42 million. So, the basic idea here is that the Suns can talk to multiple free agents with confidence knowing they can get money if they have to.

Max offer for DLo is about $28 million per year for four years.
If they just move JJ but not stretch Tyler, they could have around $20 million to sign DLo which would be really nice if we could get it.

Would the Bucks match a 4/80 offer for Brogdon? Hmmm.

We could get Rose for 4/40 easy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you really think agents aren't talking to teams already? there's a reason deals get done and are announced the literal minute after FA starts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. The Suns basically have $13 million in cap space right now (including Oubre's cap hold). If they can move Jackson, that is another $7 million. If they stretch Tyler, they could get another 12.8. So effectively they could have $33 million in cap to work with, if they want (and if they could move JJ). If they renounce Oubre, they could have $42 million. So, the basic idea here is that the Suns can talk to multiple free agents with confidence knowing they can get money if they have to.

Max offer for DLo is about $28 million per year for four years.
If they just move JJ but not stretch Tyler, they could have around $20 million to sign DLo which would be really nice if we could get it.

Would the Bucks match a 4/80 offer for Brogdon? Hmmm.

Honestly to me the bigger question on Brogden is would he takes the suns offer, or one of the several others he is going to receive. I doubt the Suns could get to that point without making a huge offer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo talking up Rozier as his favorite choice for PG.

I mean why??? They are talking paying him like 15 million a year. That bum is not worth a penny over 5.

Edit: By the way Gambo said again Melton is gone - like 100% was the way he said it. Then said he is not sure about okobo.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Jesus christ guys, I'm not saying teams don't break the rules, but they sure as hell aren't going to be doing things to tell everyone that they are. Therefor nothing they do prior to free agency is going to be a sign of deals they may or may not have in place.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, we could, but I hope that we won't.

I just can not buy Rose's rebuilding-breakout season. It was nice, he cried when interviewed, very touchy, but he is a 30-year old former superstar after several heavy injuries who always was a scoring 1st PG with limited defense.

Is he the one who we want to pair with Booker?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson