Welcome Jalen Lecque?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Signed for beans, not going to get my hopes up for a guard who's highlights don't contain a single pass or jump shot.

I doubt he plays in the NBA next season.

He'll play by default because we have no talent on our roster.

That being said, he is a shorter Marko Milic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lecque, a 4-star recruit who ranks 40th in 247Sports' class of 2019 composite rankings, committed to play basketball at North Carolina State. However, he decided to skip college for the NBA draft, an option the 19-year-old had after a fifth year in high school.

Per Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman, Lecque had the No. 1 vertical at the NBA Scouting Combine at 43 inches.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Wow. Great UDFA pick up. Stunned he didn't get drafted. FWIW, here's what I wrote up on him April.

Deep Sleeper: Jalen Lecque (pending eligibility request as a 5th year senior)

6-4 PG/SG. Crazy athletic. Insane hops. Goes to the basket hard. Intense. Plays with a massive chip on his shoulder. Makes jaw dropping plays at the rim.

RAW as all get. Needs work on his shot: right elbow needs tightening and his ball rotation is ugly. But it's fixable. Tons to learn. He's projected in the 2nd round. Way more upside than Bowman and Edwards as far as 2nd round "PG" prospects. (None of them are PGs by my definition, but then I'm fairly certain true PGs are going the way of the dinosaurs).

No, he isn't really a great fit for the Suns right now. I'm just prospect watching. I think this kid has some IT to him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
3 jump shots in the first 90 seconds of that video...... There has to be 50 reasons this kid didn't get drafted.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
3 jump shots in the first 90 seconds of that video...... There has to be 50 reasons this kid didn't get drafted.
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/jalen-lecque.html

Weaknesses
Still very raw as a basketball player and as a point guard. Can get tunnel vision to the basket and needs to do a better job of running the offense. Can spend too much time pounding the rock and locking in on the basket, taking the rhythm out of the offense.

Needs to tighten up the mechanics on his shot and get more consistent from three point land. Shoots the ball a little bit from the side of his head and doesn't have ideal form or a very quick release.

Still developing and growing his understanding of the game on both ends of the court.
Combine these things with the fact that he hasn't played against even college competition and it is easy to see why teams decided to pass. He is simply a pretty big project and while he is very athletic there just isn't any skill that he truly excels at right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needed another year in college. Too many holes in his game, especially consistency and focus

Still there were still a lot of projects drafted last night. I'm surprised he didn't go at least late second round. I guess he will get an opportunity with the Thunder.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Still there were still a lot of projects drafted last night. I'm surprised he didn't go at least late second round. I guess he will get an opportunity with the Thunder.
Most projects have at least one elite level skill (ball handling, shooting, passing, rebounding, IQ, etc.), but from what I can tell the only thing that seems clear with Jalen is that he is a great athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most projects have at least one elite level skill (ball handling, shooting, passing, rebounding, IQ, etc.), but from what I can tell the only thing that seems clear with Jalen is that he is a great athlete.

Being a great athlete is what sticks out. Also Dort has the ability to get to the rim and draw fouls. He will definitely need to improve his skills for sure. I understand he views himself as a point guard so this will be interesting to see how it plays out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is humorous to me that you are all-in on a first-year unproven football coach and a widely panned 1st pick at QB and yet are taking every opportunity to shat all over the Suns...

The only major sports team in this city with any semblance of hope is the Coyotes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rotoworld's take: "You know a team had a bad night when their best move on draft day is signing an undrafted player, and Lecque may have more upside than Cameron Johnson."

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Jalen Lecque has agreed to a four-year, undrafted free-agent deal with the Phoenix Suns, with two years guaranteed, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
You know a team had a bad night when their best move on draft day is signing an undrafted player, and Lecque may have more upside than Cameron Johnson. As a five-star recruit coming out of high school, Lecque had a commitment to NC State, but the 19-year-old combo guard changed his mind perhaps because he was draft eligible. Lecque showed out at the combine with an event-best 43-inch max vert. Lecque is a little short at 6’3", but he has a 6’9" wingspan.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen Lecque has agreed to a four-year, undrafted free-agent deal with the Phoenix Suns, with two years guaranteed, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
You know a team had a bad night when their best move on draft day is signing an undrafted player, and Lecque may have more upside than Cameron Johnson. As a five-star recruit coming out of high school, Lecque had a commitment to NC State, but the 19-year-old combo guard changed his mind perhaps because he was draft eligible. Lecque showed out at the combine with an event-best 43-inch max vert. Lecque is a little short at 6’3", but he has a 6’9" wingspan.

Ok, I mean this is a stupid.

Of course a raw 19 year old stud athlete has more potential than a 5 year college player. Doesn't mean the potential gets fulfilled.

This kid will be spending a lot of time on our g-league team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, I mean this is a stupid.

Of course a raw 19 year old stud athlete has more potential than a 5 year college player. Doesn't mean the potential gets fulfilled.

This kid will be spending a lot of time on our g-league team.

And will probably end up like DJjr

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It is humorous to me that you are all-in on a first-year unproven football coach and a widely panned 1st pick at QB and yet are taking every opportunity to shat all over the Suns...
I actually love the Suns more. I actually think I bleed Purple.

Sarver, JJ's contract issues, Kerr, and all of the crap that happened the last 16 or so years has made me dead inside.

I feel like this team cheated on my Mom. Then shot my dog. Then gave me ebola.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Another way of looking at this is that Jalen could very well have been our #32 selection. So, in a way, we never really gave the #32 away. (I mean if you have any optimistic fibers left from last night.)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And will probably end up like DJjr

I loved that we gave him a try and I love that we're giving this kid a chance too but sure, like DJ junior it will be a miracle if this kid ever gives us anything more than some highlight videos on YouTube.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I actually love the Suns more. I actually think I bleed Purple.

Sarver, JJ's contract issues, Kerr, and all of the crap that happened the last 16 or so years has made me dead inside.

I feel like this team cheated on my Mom. Then shot my dog. Then gave me ebola.

His name's not Ebola, its Robert Sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance he ends up better then Archie Goodwin.

If he's coachable and has a strong work ethic, I'd say there's a fair chance. If he doesn't take to coaching and he is unwilling to put in the time and effort to improve, I'd say his chance of overtaking Goodwin falls in the Dumb and Dumber range.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose