2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh come on, I didn't even say he couldn't have a decent opinion, I just ripped on the guy for a bad play that some people might not remember.

He's a decent analyst on ESPN, easy to watch.

Its just... that any time ANYONE says anything good about K1, you go all negative.

If Murray is really good, I think it's going to tear you up inside. :p

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Its just... that any time ANYONE says anything good about K1, you go all negative.

If Murray is really good, I think it's going to tear you up inside. :p
There's plenty of threads where I don't quote or get into the Kyler discussion when something positive is said. It's the "Kyler is God" crowd that I can't stand. Like, there's another thread where I'm just gonna let it go, but someone said that on paper, Kyler is better than Russell Wilson at all three phases of the game. Like, wtf? Come on. The kid hasn't thrown a pass yet and people are claiming he's better than a surefire hall of famer?

It would have been like someone claiming last offseason that on paper, Josh Rosen was better than Aaron Rodgers as a more natural thrower of the football or something.

Be excited about the player, but the outlandish claims or forced positivity are things I'm going to call out. Unfortunately since you're Kyler's biggest supporter, that probably means we're going to butt heads more often than not until games are played.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals' offense a secret, but QB Kyler Murray knows it inside and out
Coach Kliff Kingsbury and the Cardinals remain reluctant to share specifics about what their offense will look like this season. If you want details, you’ll probably have better luck finding out what the Colonel puts in his chicken to make it so delicious.

Keeping things a secret makes sense for Kingsbury, though. Any advantage you can spring on an opponent can only help a rookie NFL head coach -- especially one relying on a rookie quarterback, Kyler Murray, to run the entire show.

The good news is, whatever exactly it is that the Cardinals plan to unveil on offense in 2019, Murray already knows it better than anyone on the team. Veteran Larry Fitzgerald mentioned that last week and both Kingsbury and Murray basically confirmed it on Tuesday as the team opened its three-day mandatory mini-camp in Tempe.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-secret-kyler-murray-up-to-speed/1427482001/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rookie Or Not, Kyler Murray Knows What He's Doing For Cardinals
Larry Fitzgerald sat in front of his locker last week, giving his thoughts about his rookie quarterback, and the first thing the veteran wide receiver mentioned wasn’t Kyler Murray’s rocket arm or speed.

“The first thing that pops out to you, how intelligent he is,” Fitzgerald said. “He knows the system better than we do.”

That notion brought a smile to Murray’s face Tuesday, after the Cardinals had their first practice of their mandatory minicamp. Veterans don’t necessarily have to be around all the time during the voluntary part of the offseason, Murray noted.

“Me being there every day, studying it every day, yes, I do know it better,” Murray finally acknowledged, before adding, “but that’s my job.”
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/rookie-or-not-kyler-murray-knows-what-he-s-doing-for-cardinals

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald[/a] said recently that rookie quarterback Kyler Murray knows the offense being installed by head coach Kliff Kingsbury better than anyone else on the team and the rookie isn’t going to argue with the team’s veteran leader.' data-reactid="13">Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said recently that rookie quarterback Kyler Murray knows the offense being installed by head coach Kliff Kingsbury better than anyone else on the team and the rookie isn’t going to argue with the team’s veteran leader.

Murray played in a similar offensive system while at Oklahoma and Kingsbury said that gives him a leg up on some “terminology and concepts” that others are seeing for the first time. Murray also noted that knowing the offense inside and out is a pretty big part of the job.

“Is it true? I’d say obviously I’m more familiar with it,” Murray said, via AZCentral.com. “Coach Kingsbury obviously knows it the best. But yeah, obviously with [Fitzgerald] being a veteran and not having to come to every OTA and stuff like that and me being there every day, studying every day, yes, I do know it better. But that’s my job.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/kyler-murray-job-know-offense-113206443.html

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how us running an identical system to what he played in college and changing some verbage to match what he had in college has led to a million articles about "he is so smart and knows the playbook better than anyone already".

well. duh. Lets not act like this makes him some scholar.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
More attempts..... Higher percentage. #SpiderChart

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I liked the 3 QB post underneath - Kyler gets a lot of praise from the team, big difference compared to the other two.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/298098
I'm not saying Kyler isn't doing well - he very much might be, but he's the unquestioned starter here. Our guys have the room, or even possibly need, to heap praise on the guy. Daniel Jones isn't starting over Eli, Haskins is in a competition. That's why I take this with a grain of salt.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not saying Kyler isn't doing well - he very much might be, but he's the unquestioned starter here. Our guys have the room, or even possibly need, to heap praise on the guy. Daniel Jones isn't starting over Eli, Haskins is in a competition. That's why I take this with a grain of salt.

Meh - the article isn't a Kyler hype article, it's just getting a feel for how the 3 first round QBs are perceived by their teammates/coaches so far.

The quotes from the Cardinals players are quite a bit more positive than the others, which is my point, not that it means anything when the season starts.

There is a similarity when Russell Wilson was drafted and we heard similar comments about his poise during camp and he was just supposed to be backing up Matt Flynn, who they spent a good penny to acquire - and that turned out well for the Seahawks :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Great competition??

Both those guys are getting faint praise.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The best compliment is from Sweezy, who played 5 years with Wilson. The last words out of his mouth were "He is going to be great". I fully expect that during future FA periods, great O-Linemen will stand in line wanting the opportunity to play in front of K1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Great competition??

Did I say great competition?
Great competition??

I never said great competition, just in competitions. Giants players know better than to praise Jones too much when Manning is the day 1 starter, and anything too overboard could create a locker room divide.

Same with Keenum and Haskins. Those guys don't know who is the starting QB come September. It's best not to hitch your wagon to one or the other too early.

In the case of the Cards, it does their team zero good to offer up any kind of criticism at all for the guy who is going to be their starting QB no matter what, especially in shorts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Did I say great competition?

I never said great competition, just in competitions. Giants players know better than to praise Jones too much when Manning is the day 1 starter, and anything too overboard could create a locker room divide.

Same with Keenum and Haskins. Those guys don't know who is the starting QB come September. It's best not to hitch your wagon to one or the other too early.

In the case of the Cards, it does their team zero good to offer up any kind of criticism at all for the guy who is going to be their starting QB no matter what, especially in shorts.

Yes I misread what you posted.

LOL you'll go to great lengths not to accept anything good about Murray.

Haskins comments were mostly from his coach...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes I misread what you posted.

LOL you'll go to great lengths not to accept anything good about Murray.

Haskins comments were mostly from his coach...
This isn't about not accepting Murray is doing well, he clearly might be, but again, he has no competition. It does a QB who has a firm grip on the starting job no favors to run him through the mud when nothing of value has happened yet, unless he's really messing up.

Both of the other QBs have the chance to sit for a year.