What is the plan?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to Gambo just now:

Free agent priorities, in order, are Collison, Joseph, Rubio and Beverley.

Draft priorities, in order, are White, Culver, Hayes and Hunter.

I really, really hope Gambo is wrong, because if he's right, we likely end up with Cory Joseph as our veteran point guard and drafting White or Culver at 6. (In that scenario, I really pray for some team ahead of the Suns not to reach for White, because then we would be stuck with Culver.)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I really, really hope Gambo is wrong, because if he's right, we likely end up with Cory Joseph as our veteran point guard and drafting White or Culver at 6. (In that scenario, I really pray for some team ahead of the Suns not to reach for White, because then we would be stuck with Culver.)
Why Beverley is last on that list and Joseph is second makes zero sense to me.

And interesting to see Hayes third.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why Beverley is last on that list and Joseph is second makes zero sense to me.

And interesting to see Hayes third.

Gambo indicated that Beverley is going to he in high demand among playoff contenders, and the Suns don't expect to be able to sign him for a reasonable price.

As for why Joseph is on the list at all, or why the Suns apparently rank Hunter behind Culver and Hayes, your guess is as good as mine.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I heard the interview and I didn't hear him state they were in order of priority.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I heard the interview and I didn't hear him state they were in order of priority.

They were the order he listed, and it didn't seem entirely random to me, particularly given his comment at the end regarding Beverley.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but you are inferring the free agent point guard targets were given in order of priority when that was not explicitly said by Gambo.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, not believing in coincedences, 98.7 is playing James Jones quote were it's all about team chemistry. They are looking to build a culture and want players that fit that culture. They want guys that show up on time, care about each other, build team chemistry, etc.

Evidently having to buy 12,000 dollars in beer because a player doesn't show up for a team event is not what James Jones wants to do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, not believing in coincedences, 98.7 is playing James Jones quote were it's all about team chemistry. They are looking to build a culture and want players that fit that culture. They want guys that show up on time, care about each other, build team chemistry, etc.

Evidently having to buy 12,000 dollars in beer because a player doesn't show up for a team event is not what James Jones wants to do.

Frankly, unless the Suns bring in a notorious cancer, having a strong leader like Monty Williams as a head coach, as opposed to the very timid and in over his head Igor Kokoskov, will go a long way toward that, and we should see what he can do before we start discarding talent for the sake of team chemistry.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns beat writer that was on earlier says Suns very very high on Culver. Supposedly a very good ball handler, that the Suns feel we really need. I would not be surprised if we see him as that pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns beat writer that was on earlier says Suns very very high on Culver. Supposedly a very good ball handler, that the Suns feel we really need. I would not be surprised if we see him as that pick.

If this is true, then we're completely screwed...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously! Looking at who we actually have under contract. How little cap space we have. It is REALLY hitting home to me just what a BAD year of GM work that McD did for us. If you look at Toronto's GM as having the best year for his club, arguably McD had the worst. It was not just record, but the contracts he signed that put us so far behind this year. James Jones is starting 200 yards back this season, and all the other GMs are at the 100 yard mark, and some arguably at the 50. I really have sympathy for the hole we have to get out of just to get to average.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now Gambo as well is pushing for the Suns to draft Hunter. The two local radio hosts whom I respect the least. Really might need to rethink things...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Now Gambo as well is pushing for the Suns to draft Hunter. The two local radio hosts whom I respect the least. Really might need to rethink things...
I just heard that. Plus the poll of the day has him as the least popular option I think. I was just thinking when I listened to the radio, "If I am agreeing with Gambo, maybe I am wrong?"

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah you should. If it is between Culver and Hunter - Culver is the better choice.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We need to draft BPA regardless of position. Culver would be BPA at #4 so if he's there at #6, we take him and figure it out.
The Suns have been trying to figure it out for a decade. Isn't it time to change that approach?

3 lead Point Guards. Drafting 2 Power Forwards at the same time. Now we have none.

Isn't it time for a pro-active approach? Which starts with recognizing what we need.

BPA is a general philosophy. Losing teams need specifics.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have been trying to figure it out for a decade. Isn't it time to change that approach?

3 lead Point Guards. Drafting 2 Power Forwards at the same time. Now we have none.

Isn't it time for a pro-active approach? Which starts with recognizing what we need.

BPA is a general philosophy. Losing teams need specifics.

And what we definitely do not need is a shorter, less athletic version of Josh Jackson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what we definitely do not need is a shorter, less athletic version of Josh Jackson.

it would be awesome to in three straight drafts pass up Fox, SGA and then one of the PGs who will inevitably become a legit player for yet another freaking wing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
it would be awesome to in three straight drafts pass up Fox, SGA and then one of the PGs who will inevitably become a legit player for yet another freaking wing.

Jamal Murray as well but that one’s more hindsight. Fox and SGA were discussed a lot on here.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems crystal clear now that our current core is Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges.

Jackson and Warren are viewed as expendable by management and not part of our future.

I can't wait to see how the draft and free agency shapes our team.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Going into next year with a young starting 5 and growing from there is the best bet.

PG D LO/ Garland or White

SG Booker/DLO/Garland White

SF Bridges/Ourbe

PF Ourbe/BOL

C Ayton/BOL

That's a decent young team with shooting and athletism.

Trade Josh Jackson to Hawks for the 10th pick.

Draft BOL BOL he may grow into a deadly 3pt shooter and shot blocker. He and Ayton can both play spot mins together and cause havoc in the lane on D

Bol can play back up PF/C

Trade warren for cap space and pay DLO

A solid Young seven fill in the bench and they push for playoffs in 20-21.

Bol has a chance to be the next KD OR MAYBE Gobert.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Going into next year with a young starting 5 and growing from there is the best bet.

SF Bridges/Ourbe

PF Ourbe/BOL

C Ayton/BOL

Draft BOL BOL he may grow into a deadly 3pt shooter and shot blocker. He and Ayton can both play spot mins together and cause havoc in the lane on D

You win the award for most optimistic poster!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

SF Bridges/Ourbe

PF Ourbe/BOL

C Ayton/BOL

We're not getting the 10th for Josh. And Bol Bol is going to get mauled in the NBA, there is more to defense than blocking shots and he won't be able to do any of it, guards are going to be able to shove him around.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we did trade warren and got a pick between 15 and 25 and bol bol was still on the board, I probably would be for taking him, even though I think the odds are he will be a bust. But it is hard to beat his upside potential at that point.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

SF Bridges/Ourbe

PF Ourbe/BOL

C Ayton/BOL

Josh's trade value right now is more around the range of highly protected second round pick

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave